8 replies [Last post]
jim boyd's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Last Hunt for 2010

Well, it is all over for me for this year - now...

Made the last hunt of the year under tough overall conditions yesterday.

I have been sick for two days with headache, backache, deep cough and wicked sore throat.

Temps in the low 40's and falling into the mid 30's that afternoon.

15 MPH NW winds did not help.

I did not see any deer - only had one bumbling raccoon come past the stand.

2010 is going to go down as the most dismal season in recent memory - 2011 can only be better!!!

As soon as January gets here, I will start laying out the food plots on the new lease and getting stands moved over there.

Hope everyone had a better season than I did and that we ALL have a good 2011!

Regards,

Jim

Tndeerhunter's picture
the end

I have always found my last deer hunt of any season to be a difficult day for me. All the time and pre planning a hunter invests. All the new equipment we buy, even when we don't plan on it. And all the things that the fickle winds of fate do to us throughout any long season.

I've still got a couple more weeks to hunt and hope to perhaps shoot another buck, plus a doe or two. There are still friends wanting a bit more venison, so I'm happy to oblige. We also have a tradition of going on a hog hunt shortly after deer seasons end, trying to lessen the withdrawl symptoms that always seem to be there.

I've had a lucky enough year so far, but am still unwilling to give up those pretty sunrises and sunsets on stand. Nope, not yet! Big smile  

Sorry to hear that this was a

Sorry to hear that this was a dismal season and that you are feeling bad Jim.

My season has just started and already not looking great. All sign of deer has disappeared, nada, zilch, nothing, not even a track and I have no clue why. Confused

They thinned the pines about a month and a half ago and destroyed my food plots but deer were sill coming into them up untill 2 weeks ago. I put a feeder out and filled it with soybeans to try and keep them something to eat so they'll keep coming in but mabe someone else has something better for them. I checked trail cam and after a week out I had 261 pics and not a single deer. Tons of squirrels, doves and jays, a couple coyotes and a coon but no deer. Picked it up yesterday and again, 72 pics in 4 days and zero deer. I also saw nothing yesterday not even a squirrel but it really was not a good day as the wind was howling 20-25 mph but I go when the chance arises.

Same thing happened last year but it was the Bears causing the deer to quit coming in but I have seen no evidence of bears on trail cams or tracks since just before thanksgiving.

Oh well just another challange for me and one I'll take on.

Hope you feel better soon and Merry Christmas.

jim boyd's picture
Merry Christmas to you too,

Merry Christmas to you too, JTapia - and I genuinely hope your season picks up.

With trail cam reports like that, however, it is grim...

Best of luck, my friend...

groovy mike's picture
feel better

Jim:

I hope you feel better.  Take some time to relax and enjoy some down time with your feet up.   

You have fought the good fight all the way to the end of the season. 

Now get some chicken soup and recover. 

Mike

jim boyd's picture
Mike, Thanks, Brother... I

Mike,

Thanks, Brother... I did some yard chores this morning and am currently medicating myself with some locally formulated (green apple infused) spirits.

That is one benefit of living in SC,, we do have some folks that still make some sippin' whisky the old way...

Waitin on Santa.....

Jim

ecubackpacker's picture
Well, I can't throw in the

Well, I can't throw in the towel until the last minute of the last day which will be next Saturday. And with all this fresh snow, I can't help but get out and track a deer in the snow. It doesn't matter whether I'm successful or not, it's enjoyable just getting out & hunting in the snow.
It's the time of year where any deer I see may have to ride in the back of my truck or the 4-wheeler. I need acouple more deer so I may live by the old saying,"if it's brown, then it's down."
Wish me luck.

jim boyd's picture
ECU, Of course, best of luck

ECU,

Of course, best of luck to you, my hardy friend...

I hope you get 2 or 3 of them!

Jim

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Sorry to hear it's over for

Sorry to hear it's over for you Jim!

As you said, hopefully on to bigger and better successes in 2011!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like