6 replies [Last post]
Kimber Talkeetna .375 H&H Thoughts??

I'm considering the Kimber Talkeetna .375 H&H for Alaska brown bears & moose. Reviews I've read are great. Anyone have real experience with this rifle?

Thanks!
Ron

WesternHunter's picture
Re: Kimber Talkeetna .375 H&H Thoughts??

Hello and welcome to BGH forum. No experience with that rifle, but I have shot the .375 H&H a few times. It throws a heavy bullet, and it kicks, but then again it is a big bore safari cartridge. I think for Brown bear it would be a great cartridge. I think it can also be a great moose cartridge as well, but when you consider that a .30-06 with a 180 grain bullet is plenty sufficient for moose, you may be asking for way more kick than the .375 H&H is worth, for moose anyway. But overall, for the two game animals you mensioned hunting, you can't go wrong with that caliber cartridge.

Not sure what your hunting or shooting experience is, but if you have plenty of time on big bore rifles then you know what to expect as far as recoil and expense of ammo. But I always caution the novice hunter or shooter from starting out on such a hard kicking cartridge. But I have no idea what your background is on shooting or hunting.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator

I agree on the .375 as being one one the greatest rifle round that is manufacutred but it really isn't needed for the bears or moose of Alaska. So unless you are willing to put out the money and practice to shoot it properly there are other lesser rounds that will get the job done. Just be aware that it does kick and after a 20 shot practace session you will know just how much. I know that there are a lot of guides out there that want you to bring a minimum .338 for a brown bear but that is also not needed. When I went to Alaska in the early 70's I asked my guide what caliber to bring, and he told me that if I could put my shots where they were needed then my 30-06 was all that was required. He figured that he would rather have a hunter that could shoot a rifle well that didn't kick that much than be scared of the recoil. So with some factory Whinchester 220 gr silvertips in tow I headed up there and they didn't disapoint me. It only took two shots to anchor my bear and the second shot wasn't necessary.

WesternHunter's picture

I agree critter. For decades the .30-06 with the heavier bullet loads was used on brown bear with great success and it proved to be plenty sufficient. But fast forward to present day in the early 21st century and somehow this new (erroneous) philosophy has been adopted that the .30-06 is no longer good enough even for whitetail anymore Confused

Of course take into consideration that many native tribes up north in Alaska and especially in northern Canada have used the .303 British with the Lee Enfield rifles almost exlusively for Polar and Brown bear, with complete success, and have done so for decades as well.

Again, I think for large dangerous game, or just large heavy game in general you really can't go wrong with a .375 H&H, if you can shoot it proficiently and can afford the ammo to become proficient with it, and if you like the caliber. I don't think it's totally nessesary for brown bear or moose either. I shoot a .270 Win loaded hot with 130 grain Grand Slam bullets for all my biggame hunts - deer and elk hunts, and though I get critcised ocasionally for using such and so-called "inferior" caliber I still drop bull elk with it just as good as my buddy does with his .300 Win Mag.

skizeldick's picture
Talkeetna

Buano,

Just came across your post.  Probably too late now.  I do own this gun, have owned 2 other .375 H&H guns.  Winchester Super Express and Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker with the BOSS system.  The Kimber, by far, is a superior rifle.  Just last month I traveled to Africa for my 10th safari.  On this particular hunt I shot an eland, cow elephant, and 3 cape buffaloes.  I combined this rifle with Barnes X bullets.  You can't beat this combo. It is plenty light enough and is balanced just right. 

The real reason I wish to reply is this.  Back in 1989 I was hunting brown bear in Alaska.  On my 5th day of hunting I got mixed up between a sow brown bear and her cub in some thick alders.  Needless to say, I got charged, and charged from 17 steps.  Seriously, I would like to thank God for deciding that day wasn't my day to die.  I made one shot, hit the sow in the head and down she went.

My point is this, if you are going into big bear country, or Africa, seriously, take no less than a .375 H&H.  Sure, you can kill a brown bear with a .223 if you make the right shot, but, if you're wandering through thick alders, as I was, and you come across a charging sow bear, do you honestly want to be carrying a 30-06? 

Andrew

WesternHunter's picture
welcome

skizeldick wrote:

Buano,

Just came across your post.  Probably too late now.  I do own this gun, have owned 2 other .375 H&H guns.  Winchester Super Express and Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker with the BOSS system.  The Kimber, by far, is a superior rifle.  Just last month I traveled to Africa for my 10th safari.  On this particular hunt I shot an eland, cow elephant, and 3 cape buffaloes.  I combined this rifle with Barnes X bullets.  You can't beat this combo. It is plenty light enough and is balanced just right. 

The real reason I wish to reply is this.  Back in 1989 I was hunting brown bear in Alaska.  On my 5th day of hunting I got mixed up between a sow brown bear and her cub in some thick alders.  Needless to say, I got charged, and charged from 17 steps.  Seriously, I would like to thank God for deciding that day wasn't my day to die.  I made one shot, hit the sow in the head and down she went.

My point is this, if you are going into big bear country, or Africa, seriously, take no less than a .375 H&H.  Sure, you can kill a brown bear with a .223 if you make the right shot, but, if you're wandering through thick alders, as I was, and you come across a charging sow bear, do you honestly want to be carrying a 30-06? 

Andrew

Welcome to Biggame Hunt Forum.   Always good to have new members here who have something to share. 

Yeah if I was purposely going after brown bear I sure would not be taking a .223 as my choice, but if that's all I had for protection around camp, well it has surely done the job before from other reports I've heard.  I think if someone were to reload for the .375 H&H it would be a far less expensive round.  I'm personally not a big fan of large bore cartridge for most biggame, considering that by all account a .30-06 can and has for decades take some large animals from Africa and Alaska.  But I say that based on reliable accounts from history and from modern day hunters who have done so.  I have not hunted brown bear or elephants myself.  I have fired a few rounds from a .458 Win Mag on the range before and wasn't to happy afterwards, and I'm normally not sensitive to recoil. lol

groovy mike's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I agree

375 H&H is THE cartridge against which everything else is compared.  I've hunted with it from Alaska to South Africa including almost every white tail and mule deer, and coyote that I have killed in the last 10 years.

I own three rifles in that chambering (including the one I picked up at the gun shop last night!) but only one 30-06.  Honestly if the 30-06 was not a gift from a family member, I'd sell it. 

I have no experience with Kimber, but they are a good name nd I would not hesitate to buy from them.

I agree that you should carry the heaviest cartridge you can handle and don't worry about the cost.  Reloading cuts the expense in half and you will never regret having "too much gun".  You might regret having too little.

Barnes bullets over Alliant's reloader 15 will shoot one hole groups at 100 yards from my rifles all day long.

Buy the rifle and treasure it for a lifetime.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Tikka T3 vs. Kimber MontanaBBQ Boy911/17/2013 12:13 pm
Kimber Ultra Carry IIjim boyd403/09/2011 16:44 pm
CZ & Kimber Guns Any Opinions?jigman807/22/2010 23:38 pm
Tikka or KimberBBQ Boy2104/28/2013 10:40 am
Kimber riflesIdlogger1906/13/2009 09:30 am