24 replies [Last post]
I'm not a fan either of long

I'm not a fan either of long shots, but I can appreciate a shot that's dropping 5 ft and drifting at least 3 ft in that wind.

SGM
SGM's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I like the .243 for deer and

I like the .243 for deer and antelope but would not consider it for elk unless it was all I had. I think a 30 cal bullet or larger is the way to go for elk. Yes the .243 can kill and elk and is legal but not the best choice. A .243 works well on mountain lions too!

ndemiter's picture
Im really interested if

Im really interested if somebody here has ever done it and if they could describe the damage from the bullet. where the shot was placed and what conditions were you under.       my thoughts are that if i end up still hunting timber, i want a rifle that i can pinpoint a shot through that timber. my thirty ot six just canmt do that as well.  i considered just trying to improve the thirty cal. i think it could be a much better gun with an upgraded stock.I

I don't understand your

I don't understand your thinking that a .243 would be more accurate in timber than a 30-06?

ndemiter's picture
it's not the caliber

it just so happens that my 30-06 can't shoot nearly as good of groups as my 243. it's not a caliber issue, it's a specific gun issue. 

there are a lot of little things i need to tweak on that 30-06 to improve the quality of the gun. it's a bargain production model 30-06 and it just doesn't perform like i want it to. 

i may toy with it this summer. but the fact of the matter is that bargain rifles just are what they are.

elkslayer's picture
While i have never killed an

While i have never killed an elk with my 243, my grandfather has killed about 20 with his.  If I ever were to shoot at an elk with the 243 I would try and take only the best shot opportunities.  Even with a 30 cal and perfect shot placement elk can take a lot of killing.  I once put 3 shots straight thru the heart and lungs of a cow elk and she never flinched, just walked into the brush where i found her 10 steps later. 

If I were you i wouldn't worry about using a 243 especially if it is a gun that you are very used to and good with.

ndemiter's picture
ideally, i'd like to be able

ideally, i'd like to be able to purchase another winchester model 70 in .264, 7mm/08, 7mm mag, .257, 25-06 or something along those lines, but i just bought a house, and don't have the funds for a new rifle just yet.

the .243 is pretty light even for mule deer without a well placed shot. i'd just rather be able to hit what i'm aiming at.

Don Fischer's picture
What is this bargin basement

What is this bargin basement 30-06? I've found that some of them shoot very well and some shoot well with a little tinkering. What do you consider not shooting well?

My 243 is a Rem 700ADL. One with the junk mplastic stock. When I first got it, a present from a girl friend, I was lucky to keep the shot's inside 3" at 100 yds. Took quite a bit of work re-bedding the stock but today that thing will do +/- 3/4" every day.

ndemiter's picture
with my weatherby vanguard

with my weatherby vanguard 30-06, i'm getting 2 moa at 100 yards, and it opens up exponentially from there. 6" @ 200... and 16-18 @ 300 from a bench... whereas the 243 will shoot 3-4" at 300 yards

I've handloaded extensively for it, and that's the best i've been able to do on this particular rifle. i've shot better vanguards for sure!

i'll do a trigger job on this one, and put a bell and carlson stock on it, but if i don't feel comfortable with it come crunch time, i kind of want to know if i can fall back on "old faithfull"

I've gone back to CF guns for

I've gone back to CF guns for my hunting. I've become too sensitive to recoil, and the muzzleloaders are hard kickers with modern loads. I thought hard on what to get for a gun. I considered the .243 for the light recoil, but was uncomfortable with such a light bullet. I also hunt bear at times, and I wanted more power.

After talking to my gunsmith I decided on a .270. I found an early built Remington 700 BDL. I had my gunsmith install a Limbsaver recoil pad, and a Vais muzzle brake. Now I have a nice classic gun with good wood and dark bluing. It has the power of the .270 and the recoil of less than a .243. It shoots .400 groups @100yds and 1.25" @ 200 yds. I plan on using a 150gr Partition for elk.

I'm happy with the decision. I feel I would have worried about using a .243.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like