24 replies [Last post]
ndemiter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
killing elk with the .243

has anybody ever killed an elk with a 243 and can share anything about the kill.

my favorite rifle is my .243. i've killed whitetail and even a bison with it with no problems. the bison was a head shot.

the other day, i shot a whitetail doe with a clean lung shot. the internal damage was unreal!

with the the shot in the center of the vitals, the damage went from the top of the body cavity to the bottom.

i have seen on video an elk cow being shot with the 243, but what kind of damage does it do?

i was pretty curious to see what would happen.

thanks

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
It all depends on what kind

It all depends on what kind of shot that you have and where you hit the elk.  If you hit it in the front shoulder and expect the bullet to pass through the shoulder bone then you will have a wounded elk to track down.  If you have a clean hit in the ribs or even hitting a rib and into the lungs then you will have a dead elk.  A neck shot that doesn't hit the spine or jugular will stun the elk so that you can get a follow up shot to try and put it down.  Now a head shot is anyones guess on what it will do.  My nephew hit a elk with my .340 Weatherby in the head and the bullet just bounced around under the skin but it did knock him out. 

In other words the .243 will work for a elk but it isn't a preferred caliber. 

I'm not a fan of a .243 for

I'm not a fan of a .243 for elk, but this video does show it works. If you're a good shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18&feature=player_embedded

hunter25's picture
It will work like anything

It will work like anything else if the shot is right. But that said even a little off can make a much bigger difference than larger calibers. The elk in the picture my daughter shot and we had to track the darn thing for over a mile to finish it off. You can see where the Remington core locked 100gr bullets hit her. A lightning bolt on deer but I won't be using it again for elk.

Just my opinion.

Sums it up

I think you just summed it up! I think a 270 Win with a quality 150 bullet, such as a Nosler Partition is the way to go. Afterall, you want a caliber that can kill an elk quickly with proper shot placement so you don't have to play "Man Tracker".

hunter25's picture
Okay I'm an idiot, I forgot

Okay I'm an idiot, I forgot to post the picture.

PreviewAttachmentSize
scan0059 (640x450).jpg
scan0059 (640x450).jpg159.39 KB
I've gone back to CF guns for

I've gone back to CF guns for next year. I'm going to use a .270 which I consider as small as i'll go for elk. I'll use a 150gr Partition.

buckykm1's picture

will a 243 work, yes, if everything is perfect, but i would never use one, i will stick with my 300 win mag and a 180 grain bullet, it gives me some room for error.

Kevin

Only as a Last Resort

If it's the difference between hunting or staying home then go elk hunting with a .243.  Then plan on passing on anything but a broadside shot at fairly close range.  Hope that you're hunting in an area that will provide multiple chances at an elk or accept the idea of going home empty handed.  Even with perfect side shots at close range, use a Partition or Barnes bullet.  Oh yeah, and pray for good tracking snow cuz you might be in for a long walk & tracking job.

Better yet, use an elk tag as an excuse to buy another gun.

I'm not sure getting a close

I'm not sure getting a close shot is required after watching the video I posted. Shot placement seems to be more important. As it always is. I'm just shocked the .243 still had enough energy at 688yds to knock a cow down.

Close, Relatively Speaking

By close I'm thinking within a couple hundred yards.  688 yards is an exercise in target shooting more than hunting.  Looked like there was plenty of opportunity to get a lot closer but that wouldn't have made as dramatic a video.  Those high coefficient Berger VLD bullets fired out of a custom built and tuned rifle are plenty popular with the long range crowd.  Nothing wrong with it - just isn't my cup of tea.  The high shoulder shot used will break the spine with a direct hit or damage it from bone and bullet fragments from a hit through the shoulder.  Looks real impressive though.  I've seen this guy frequently on TV shows having novice long range shooters use his fancy custom rigs for these way-down-there shots.  Not impressed.  However it does make for effective advertising for his product.  Typically the rifles are chambered in 7 mm, .30 or .264 calibers.  I'm guessing the .243 was used because the shooter was female.  Bet she didn't carry that 12 lb rifle too awful far either.  Of course at that range she could have been wearing a prom dress next to the pickup truck and the elk wouldn't have been at all concerned. 

Related Forum Threads You Might Like