12 replies [Last post]
To keep, or not to keep Savage 110 7mm. mag.

I bought a new 110 7mm back about 10 years ago. Put a high-quality dove-tail base and rings, and scope on it. The only day that I ever took it out, I killed a decent 8-pointer with it. It's very accurate. But, I don't hunt anywhere now that has big fields, and hunt primarily in the woods. My question.....A Savage 110 is probably not going to appreciate in value like some other brands(although they are good guns). If I were to sell it(it's like new, only shot 15 times). What would be a fair price. No rust, or scratches, or dings. Has the wood stock, and not the plastic one. Scope is nothing high-dollar, but good. Simmons 3-9-40, with the Burris(think) base and rings. A friend has a Pawn Shop, and I was going to get him to sell it for me. Thanks....

You can swap the barrel and bolt head to most any cartridge you want.

That said, Savage rifles have always been economy class guns. It doubt you will get more than $300 for it. The Stevens Model 200 can be bought new for under $300 and the only difference betweeen your rifle and it is the wood stock on the Savage.

If you still have it after January I might be interested in buying it.

Thanks.

I have too many..........

Did someone on this forum just say they have TOO MANY RIFLES???????????? Say it aint SOOOOOOO!!!!!! PARTY FOUL Shame on You! Shame on You! Shame on You! Shame on You! Shame on You! There aint no such animal as too many rifles!!!!! That being said, Like J said, you can expect around 300 or less most likely. Allbeit it may be in great condition and they are a great rifle, when you can go buy a brand new one with a scope for 400, why pay over 300 for a 10 year old one, is what most will think. If you need a different calibre I would also suggest having it rebarreled like J mentioned. Cheaper than a new one, and if done by a really good smith you might end up with an even BETTER shooter Thumbs up

The coolest part about the Savage is you don't need a gunsmith to do a barrel swap. You can get a barrel from MidwayUSA, ER Shaw, Sharp Shooter Supply, or Shilen (if you want a really accurate barrel). The only tools required are an action wrench, barrel nut wrench, hammer, work bench and headspace guage (a full length sized & trimmed case works also).

It's not very cost effective if you only want to change calibers once but if you like to change fairly often, it's a better way to go. I have several barrels I swap between on the same action.

Don Fischer's picture

If I kept it I would also look into the replacement trigger from Sharp Shooter Supply. I understand it's a really really good trigger. For your rifle it is $85. Drop in replacement. http://www.sharpshootersupply.com

Sharp Shooter Supply makes an excellent trigger for the money.

JCalhoun wrote:
The coolest part about the Savage is you don't need a gunsmith to do a barrel swap. You can get a barrel from MidwayUSA, ER Shaw, Sharp Shooter Supply, or Shilen (if you want a really accurate barrel). The only tools required are an action wrench, barrel nut wrench, hammer, work bench and headspace guage (a full length sized & trimmed case works also).

It's not very cost effective if you only want to change calibers once but if you like to change fairly often, it's a better way to go. I have several barrels I swap between on the same action.

hehehe J you need a TC!!!! LOTS easier!! Laugh Laugh

But not nearly as cheap or accurate. Wink

I beg to differ on the accurate J. I have a .300 win mag or a 7mm.08 that Id be willing to come shoot at 600 yards with ya all day bud. Pro hunter 28 inch barrels. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of both. Even the .50 smoker was damn fine once I found the load and bullet she liked. Course this was pre S&W takeover so I dont know if the accuracy is going to suffer or not now. I was thinking about either a .35 wheeland (spelled that wrong I think) or a .405 win barrel for her but I think Im going to hold off for another year to see the reports since S&W took the reigns. I love the straightwall old calibre's and that .405 looks like it would really put a good smackin on an elk or a deer. I was also thinking about a 45/70 too. LoL I loveum all!!!!!! Maybe I just got lucky with my barrels but I know I have holes touching at 100 with both the 300 and 7.08 with my handloads and sub MOA with factory Winchesters so accuracy is well beyond what I expected. One thing I do on my reloads is weigh both powder AND bullets. If the bullet is more than 1.2 grains off I toss it. Im a little anal about my ammo. I work hard at finding the specific load that each and every rifle/pistol likes to eat and I load to exact tolerances (or as exact as I can get)

We have 600 and 1000 yard berms at the club. I think a friendly "match" would be fun. Thumbs up Big smile

Anyway, I have no doubt the the TC can be accurate. They're well made rifles. However, the break open operation is not very effective for match shooting. That is probably why nobody shoots them in competitions.

If we are allowed to consider aftermarket barrels, you can get ready to install match barrels from Shilen, Lothar-Walther, Sharp Shooter Supply and Pac-Nor.

BTW, the Savage also allows you to have a magazine if that is important.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Savage - Big Mistake?jim boyd602/16/2011 18:23 pm
Savage 111 vs. Stevens 200 vs. Marlin XL7sebastian slim801/22/2014 12:03 pm
savage model 99wyoelkhunter401/02/2008 07:42 am
Savage Edge groundhog307/15/2010 23:39 pm
Any owners of the Savage model 93G .22 magnum?redneckhunter203/31/2008 19:52 pm