19 replies [Last post]
Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Javelina Hunt 2014

Well, the hunt this year started out as usual.  Both my hunting partner and I headed up a wash looking for tracks and then up to a view point to do some glassing.  We didn’t see anything except for some deer so down off the hill we went and up the wash looking for tracks again.  I left Roy when he decided to take a hike up a hill and into a area that has held javelina in the past and I went up to another area that they liked to spend the early mornings in.  On my way up I jumped some deer with one nice 2x2 which soon was headed over the hill.  I parked my 4 wheeler and started to hike up the hill to a vantage point.  I noticed a bunch of cattle on the ridge and decided to skirt them so that they would not head down into the draw that I planned on glassing out.  Once on top I found out that not spooking them was going to be impossible.  So I headed into the draw to the south to glass for a while.  After not seeing anything I took a hike down into the draw hoping to spook a javelina out of its bed but that wasn’t to happen.  So I headed back up to the bunch of cattle and decided to spook them into the draw and watch to see if they spooked anything out that I could then get on the trail of.  On the way up I saw Bob another friend that was with us hiking the ridge.  I got him on the radio and told him what I had planned and for him to watch to see what happened.  I spooked the cattle and down they went right where I wanted them to go.  They went down the hill and then up the other side and down the ridge toward a windmill and water tank but they didn’t spook anything.  After this hike I took a ride up a power line road to glass out the area that Roy had hiked into.  I spotted Roy and waited for him to hike over to me.  He had gotten into a small herd of 2 or 3 javelina but they were off like a shot and tracking that few animals in this terrine is next to impossible.  So I gave him a ride back down to his wheeler and then we headed over to the next wash to the west to look for tracks. 

Sunrise the first day

Normal

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

We met up with Bob for lunch at what he called his old deer camp that he has used for years.  He provided some burritos that were wrapped in tinfoil that we warmed up over some hot coals from the fire that he had built.  He then offered us some salsa that had#5 on the plastic container that a friend of his had made up.  We soon found out that #5 was very, very hot which added some unwelcome heat and flavor to the burritos.  After lunch Bob and I headed up to a rattle snake den that I had found years ago to see if the snakes were out to take some photos.  We found some that wanted their photo’s takes so we took a few pictures and then got back to hunting. Bob headed home and I went to hike up the hill to glass some areas but decided to hike down the wash that the snake den was in to look for tracks.  Just as I got about 20 yards down the hill from the den a javelina broke out of a bush that he had been sleeping in almost running over me.  I watched him as he loped over the hill and away.  This was another area that it was more than difficult to track a single javelina.

Some friends

Let sleeping snakes lie

Normal

Saturday found us doing the same old routine.  I was sitting on the power line when I spotted George who was with Bob riding Bob’s 4 wheeler in the wash.  I asked him where Bob was and he said that he was meeting him at the windmill in the center wash.  Now this was the next wash over to the west so I didn’t know what he was doing where he was at.  I then herd Bob on the radio and he was very far away in the next wash over.  George couldn’t figure out how to get over to it and was sitting down in the was next to the road that he needed to take so I told him to head up that road to find Bob but he just stayed there, I figured that he couldn’t hear me that well on the radio so I headed over to where I was closer.  Once I got on top of the ridge I told him to head up the road that was behind him.  He started up it only to stop at the next road junction.  I then saw Bob walking down the road so I told George to just say put.  I went down and over to them and found out that Bob had watched 2 javelina bed down in a prickly pear cactus patch over in the next wash.  We got Roy and headed over to where they were bedded.  Roy, Bob and myself headed up to a small saddle just above where they were bedded.  Once on the saddle we started to glass and move a lot slower.  As we started down the side of the saddle the javelina got up and started to walk away from us.  I pulled my Contender out of the holster and placed it on the top of my walking stick.  Roy was just to my right and was getting his bipod set up and I asked him if he was ready and he replied no.  I should of shot one of the javelina but they were soon into the brush.  Roy didn’t have a call with him so I took mine out and started to blow on it.  The lead javelina turned around and was started back towards us and then they all were.  Then Roy shot.  This was all it took and they were off going the wrong direction with one walking down hill.  I figured that Roy had hit this one so I didn’t shoot and it was soon out of sight down in the bottom.  We hiked over to the spot where they were at and didn’t find any blood.  I then circled downhill looking for blood but didn’t’ find anything.  Meanwhile Roy was down in the bottom starting to track that one javelina and Bob was back looking for blood back where they were at when Roy shot.  All he found was where the bullet had hit the dirt with no blood or hair around.  It was a clean miss.  Roy and I tracked them out and down to the main wash were we lost the track again never to be found.  We ate lunch and since it was starting to get hot we just drove the higher roads and glassed a lot of areas without hiking into them without seeing anything. 

Normal

Sunday and Monday were spent looking for tracks and glassing with no results except for seeing deer and more deer.  We went into another area and took a few hikes only to see more deer both mule deer, white tails, and cross breeds. 

Normal

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}

Tuesday we split up, Roy went somewhere and I headed into one of my favorite areas.  As I started to hike up the hill I noticed one buck deer with only one antler left going the same direction that I was.  He got to the top of the hill before I did and disappeared somewhere.  I got to the top and hiked a short ways down the other side.  I glassed the bottom out and then hiked down the hill a little further.  I got to a large rock that I had shot a javelina from years ago and was leaning against it when I looked across the draw to see two javelina in a small opening.  The range was close to 150 yards and there was no way to get any closer so I thought about taking a picture and started down the hill for some reason.  Once I did this they started up the hill and into some bush.  So I pulled out my call and started to blow on it.  The lead one quickly turned around and started back down the hill, once it got to where the other one was at it stopped and turned around and headed back up the hill.  It was then that I decided to try a shot.  I pulled my Contender and laid down on the ground.  I braced the forearm of the pistol on my knee and cocked the hammer.  I placed the crosshairs on the lead javelina and when it stopped I took a deep breath and squeezed the trigger.  The hammer came down and all I heard was a click.  My first thoughts were that I had a misfire.  I quickly opened the action only to notice that I hadn’t moved the safety pin on the hammer.  I quickly closed the action, cocked the hammer and removed the safety.  By this time the lead javelina was in some thick brush at the top of the hill and the smaller one of the two was headed that was but he stopped.  I took another deep breath placed the crosshairs on him and squeezed the trigger.  The 7-30 Waters barked in my hand and I heard the whoomp of a hit.  The javelina rose upon his rear legs and turned around and headed downhill and then turned to my right and started along the side hill.  He was in and out of thick brush so there was no chance for a second shot so I just watched him to see where he was going.  He went down to a small saddle and then up and over it.  I couldn’t believe it.  This was the first javelina that I had shot with the 7-30 Waters that had gone more than a few yard and I wondered where I had hit him.  I hiked over to where I had hit him and found both blood and some hair.  I then started to follow the blood trail, but it surprised me that there wasn’t that much blood, by the time I got to where he had gone over the hill there was very little blood at all.  I got Roy on the radio and asked him to come over to where I was at but stay in the bottom of the wash and I that I was going to stay on the hill.  Once he got to where I believed that the javelina had gone over the hill I told him to start looking.  I then started looking for more blood as I zigzagged down the hill.  Once at the bottom and not finding a thing I was starting to wonder.  I walked down the wash looking for tracks but didn’t find any so I knew that he was still somewhere close.  I then started to look in every bush and around every scrub in the area.  I thought that I had lost him.  When I was about to head back up the hill Roy hollered THERE HE GOES.  I don’t know how we had missed him but he managed to hide right under our noses.  He was headed right towards me at a fast run.  I knew that there was no way that I would be able to get my Contender out and on him in time so out came my Beretta 96 in .40 S&W.  As he came by me at less than 10 yards I placed the sights on him and pulled the trigger.  He came to rest not 10 feet away from Roy’s 4 wheeler.  Now that is what I call a long packing job

Normal

We hunted the rest of the week trying to get Roy into some but it wasn’t to happen.  I hiked into some new areas and looked over some very promising country but I just couldn’t find another one and Roy had the same results.  When we left the area the thermometer in Roy’s truck said 81 degrees.  We found that while the temperature was hot the hunting was not, this was a very challenging year to hunt them.  The full moon that was out from 6pm to after daylight didn’t help along with the very dry conditions down there.  Normal water holes were dry and we could see where the animals were digging trying to find a little water but coming up dry. 

Normal

I asked Roy if he wanted to come back down next year after the way that this year had gone and all he could say was hell yes.  This was our twenty first year and next year will make it 22.  Come on next February. 

PreviewAttachmentSize
Day 1 Sunrise.JPG
Day 1 Sunrise.JPG32.18 KB
Friends.JPG
Friends.JPG154 KB
Sleeping in Rock.JPG
Sleeping in Rock.JPG104.89 KB
Shot Location.JPG
Shot Location.JPG139.21 KB
Pig.JPG
Pig.JPG162.48 KB
Critter's picture
I will say that this forum

I will say that this forum format needs a lot of help since I can not edit out some of the information that it put into the formats of the photos.

I also added the thumbnails at the bottom if you want a larger view of the pictures

prhunter's picture
Congrats

Congrats on your javelina Critter. I'm still searching for mine. I'll be out in the desert this week.

Hopefully the warm temps will lead them to water.

Critter's picture
prhunter, stick with it and

prhunter, stick with it and you should be able to bag one.  We found that they were most active until about 9am with the moon being full and up all night.  After that they were bedding down around 11am and you needed to kick them out of their beds to get them to move.  Then they wouldn't get up until late in the afternoon. 

As I mentioned in the story most of our little water sources were dried up and the pigs and deer were digging in them trying to find water.  The pigs were also laying down in the cooler sands after they had dug the hole. 

prhunter's picture
Headed out tomorrow for

Headed out tomorrow for javelina. I will report any activity when I return.

elkkill06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
NICE !!

Congrats Jim on a great hunt and a nice javelina ! Thanks for sharing the great story and pics.

Quinton

cantgetdrawn's picture
Congrats!

Congrats!

SGM
SGM's picture
Great story and sounds like

Great story and sounds like it was a great time. Never hunted the javelina but it sounds like a good time.Congratulations on your hunt.

BikerRN's picture
Congrats!!!

Congrats!!!

HOGGETTER's picture
Good job

We went over there for a weekend hunt and didnt see one pig And hardly any quail During the archery season. But you know what happens when your not packing a deer tag,  yep thats right, I came across a huge 200" class buck with his nose down following a hot doe and they walked by me at 40yds.  I wanted the cry for being a cheepskate, but at the time I coulded see buying a deer tag for a weekend trip.

Critter's picture
That is always the case, I

That is always the case, I personally believe that the animals know what tag you have in your pocket when you get out into the field.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Javelina meat10ptdreamer1602/12/2011 21:34 pm
Arizona javelina anybody?wyflyguy701/08/2007 08:54 am
Scouting for Javelina Part 2prhunter601/12/2014 22:58 pm
1st javelina huntPSYCHOBILLY502/17/2009 06:26 am
javelina hunt in new mexicotwunsch001/30/2007 13:16 pm