95 replies [Last post]
Offline
Location: California
Joined: 09/06/2008
Posts: 1071
Iraqi Reporter Throws Shoe at Bush
Quote:
You act as if he threw the pitch at a game in Baghdad. Let me refresh your memory he was riding a wave of high approval after 9/11 and I don't think the atmosphere at the game was one of high assassination danger.

Also, in regard to the shoe, do you realize this was in the green zone and anyone allowed access to that conference went through multiple levels of security and searches? The risk of someone having grenade or even a knife or explosives in their shoes was extremely low to non existant. He wasn't strolling down the street in Sadr City.

In regards to your first statement, Im sure everyone thought Fords theater was safe in April of 1865. It's a public play in D.C, not a battlefield in the south, right? What could be safer unless it's a public book depository in Dallas Texas? How about a fundraising dinner full of Democrats in Los Angeles at a posh hotel? Ask Bobby Kennedy how safe it was. I'm sure the security was just wonderful at those venues as well. All it takes is luck and a willingness to trade your life for your targets. These people have demonstrated that willingness time and again. Wake up.
Lincoln's popularity was at an all time high at the time of his assassination( in the north at least).
John Kennedy, Ditto
Ronald Regan, attempted assassination,Ditto
Bobby Kennedy, popular
Roosevelt attempt, Ditto
Attempt on Harry Truman, Ditto.
Pope John Paul 2, most popular Pope ever at the time of his assassination attempt.
What has popularity got to do with being assassinated? If anything it makes you more appealing as a target. Just admit it. It took some courage to do what the man did. Don't be so blinded by your dislike of his politics that you become jaded to everything. Or is it only us right wingers who keep our sense of humor and objectivity?

expatriate's picture
Offline
Location: Arizona
Joined: 10/26/2002
Posts: 3207
Iraqi Reporter Throws Shoe at Bush

I wouldn't be so quick to think that Obama's only danger lies in the right wing. I'd argue that there are are a lot of people on the left that are pretty unhinged, too. Don't forget that Mark Chapman was John Lennon's biggest fan. That religious fervor surrounding Obama can breed obsession.

I'd also argue that he threatens a lot of people on both ends of the racism debate. The white supremacist angle is obvious, but there are also people on the other end that are deeply invested in people believing we're a racist nation -- they'd be out of a job if people thought race was no longer an issue.

It's a sad commentary on the state of our society when you consider that during Lincoln's time it wasn't unusual for regular people to stop by the White House just to meet the man. Presidents used to walk down the street and were in large part regular citizens. Now we have to surround them with a bubble of security that isolates them, and have to constantly worry that some nutjob will try to pull something.

I completely disagree with the man's politics, but I pray for his safety. If something were to happen, it would completely rip our country apart.

Offline
Joined: 07/29/2008
Posts: 723
Iraqi Reporter Throws Shoe at Bush

Someone threw a shoe? or two? I missed it bummer. Ought to turn bush over to the Iraqi crowds and let them deal with the beloved leader, save us all the court costs of that wimp.

Didn't read the threads but carry on anyway.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Iraqi Reporter Throws Shoe at Bush
civetcat wrote:
Someone threw a shoe? or two? I missed it bummer. Ought to turn bush over to the Iraqi crowds and let them deal with the beloved leader, save us all the court costs of that wimp.

Didn't read the threads but carry on anyway.

They didn't throw a shoe at Bush, they didn't call Bush a dog, they threw a shoe at America and called us a dog.

Bush, like him or not, represents America. The insult is not just at Bush, but all of Americans.

When Obama takes office shouldn't we be outraged if someone in another country insults him regardless of whether or not we agree with his politics?

I will be and you can mark these words that I will disagree with Obama vehemently over issues, but don't let one domestic or foreign enemy try to harm him or insult him. If they do, I will be behind him 100%

Just like growing up, I might smack my brother, but don't take let anyone else touch him or the battle was on.

And, in response to an previous post by Expatriate, where he said that Obama's concern is not only the right, is absolutely on the mark. The ultra left beleives he owes them and will feel like a bitter scorned woman if he does not kowtow to them.

expatriate's picture
Offline
Location: Arizona
Joined: 10/26/2002
Posts: 3207
Iraqi Reporter Throws Shoe at Bush

Once again, Civet has demonstrated how much of a left-wing moonbat he is. Now he's advocating turning our president over to angry mob violence in a foreign country.

I agree, CVC. This wasn't an insult to Bush -- this was an insult to America. It's like someone suing you for cracking a rib when you saved their life with CPR.

If you're OK with that, Civet, stay over there with your Pathet Lao buddies.

SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1772
Iraqi Reporter Throws Shoe at Bush
CVC wrote:
civetcat wrote:

They didn't throw a shoe at Bush, they didn't call Bush a dog, they threw a shoe at America and called us a dog.

Bush, like him or not, represents America. The insult is not just at Bush, but all of Americans.

When Obama takes office shouldn't we be outraged if someone in another country insults him regardless of whether or not we agree with his politics?

I will be and you can mark these words that I will disagree with Obama vehemently over issues, but don't let one domestic or foreign enemy try to harm him or insult him. If they do, I will be behind him 100%

Just like growing up, I might smack my brother, but don't take let anyone else touch him or the battle was on.

And, in response to an previous post by Expatriate, where he said that Obama's concern is not only the right, is absolutely on the mark. The ultra left beleives he owes them and will feel like a bitter scorned woman if he does not kowtow to them.

While I somewhat can respect what you are saying, I still disagree with it. I, as well as the great majority of people I know, consisting of co-workers and family members don't feel like that Iraqi insulted us personally or the US. That expression of total anger and hostility in my view was directed at Bush and his administration.

What you have to understand is many people, I being one of them feel the actions by Bush were less then honorable and in some cases dishonest. Now, those by themselves are negative, but when the consequences of those behaviors and decisions results in the death and suffering of thousands of Americans and hundreds of thousands of Iraqi's for that which was based on half truths if not outright lies that just doesn't sit right with some folks morals and standards. I don't blame other people whether American or foreign for harboring negative feelings towards him and his administration for the things he has done.

Also, in a hypothetical example, if Obama makes up a story that oh, Columbia for instance has a nuclear dirty bomb sold to them by Al Qaeda and is going to bomb an american city and the proof may be a mushroom cloud. And, then invades this country resulting in thousands of American deaths as well as Columbians, women, children, and then the reason is found to be totally false and made up. I would expect you to decry this immoral atrocity from the highest mountain top and I would be there right along side you.

To me just because someone is an American or even an American leader doesn't absolve them of responsibility for their actions if in my view it's wrong.

In your view if an American leader in the future committed acts on par with oh, say a Hitler like figure, would we be obligated to not say anything because we shouldn't dare voice our concern. I thought that is what freedom was?

expatriate's picture
Offline
Location: Arizona
Joined: 10/26/2002
Posts: 3207
Iraqi Reporter Throws Shoe at Bush

There you go again...comparing Bush to Hitler. Brick Wall,)

Once again, Bush had credible intel that Saddam was pursuing WMD programs. Congress had access to the same intel and believed it as well. For a supposed intel analyst, you should know that there's a difference between believing incorrect intel and lying.

Lying, for example, would be saying things like "I did not have sex with that woman."

Another example of lying would be telling the press that no one in your office had contact with the Illinois governor regarding your vacant senate seat, when in fact your chief of staff is on tape multiple times doing just that.

But I digress. Bush believed bad intel and attacked a country to effect regime change. Hitler invaded his neighbors to annex territory -- not because he thought Czecheslovakia, Poland, or France were a threat. Hitler also murdered millions in death camps for the sake of eugenics and racial purity. Hardly the same as Bush. There's no political similarities, no similarities in their motivation for war, and no similarities in their conduct of war.

SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1772
Iraqi Reporter Throws Shoe at Bush
expatriate wrote:
There you go again...comparing Bush to Hitler. Brick Wall,)

Once again, Bush had credible intel that Saddam was pursuing WMD programs. Congress had access to the same intel and believed it as well. For a supposed intel analyst, you should know that there's a difference between believing incorrect intel and lying.

Lying, for example, would be saying things like "I did not have sex with that woman."

Another example of lying would be telling the press that no one in your office had contact with the Illinois governor regarding your vacant senate seat, when in fact your chief of staff is on tape multiple times doing just that.

But I digress. Bush believed bad intel and attacked a country to effect regime change. Hitler invaded his neighbors to annex territory -- not because he thought Czecheslovakia, Poland, or France were a threat. Hitler also murdered millions in death camps for the sake of eugenics and racial purity. Hardly the same as Bush. There's no political similarities, no similarities in their motivation for war, and no similarities in their conduct of war.

You dolt, I didn't compare Bush to Hitler, I used a hypothetical to pose a question regarding ethics. You aren't really that dense are you?

I've told you before and I'll tell you again. Bush and Cheney and their pals pushed for the intell they wanted until they got it. They weren't the innocent ones saying "no, no, we can't invade you must prove this beyond a shadow of a doubt, before we take such drastic action," to the analysts. As if the intel community was begging them to invade.

Bush and his pals were the ones getting rid of people who didn't tell them what they wanted to hear until they got people who told them what they wanted hear.

Now, lacking a spine they are blaming it on the intel analysts they badgered to give them the info they wanted.

Did Clinton lie about his bj? You can bet his bootstraps he did, but how many people died because of that?

In regard to Congress they had Bush's agenda rammed down their throats and it is a shame that few repubs or dems had the gonads to stand up to the B.S.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Iraqi Reporter Throws Shoe at Bush

SoCo, consider this.....

The 9/11 bombers didn't discriminate against innocent civilans that agreed or disagreed with US foreign policy. They killed everyone in those buildings because they were Americans.

When people in Iran burn an American flag and say death to America, they don't put a footnote saying, except those that disagree with Bush.

It was directed at Bush, but it was also directed to the United States of America.

expatriate's picture
Offline
Location: Arizona
Joined: 10/26/2002
Posts: 3207
Iraqi Reporter Throws Shoe at Bush
SoCoKHntr wrote:
Did Clinton lie about his bj? You can bet his bootstraps he did, but how many people died because of that?

So in other words, you have no problem whatsoever with your president abusing his office and lying to the American people, as long as no one dies as a result. No wonder you're a Democrat. I guess this explains your silence on the Illinois politics thread.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Depleted Uranium and M1 Tanksbitmasher701/28/2003 21:49 pm
3 legged chickenlaneboyte003/05/2009 19:59 pm
Iraqi Minister of Informationbitmasher906/26/2003 22:01 pm
NY Times reporter seeking interviewsKirkJohnson109/30/2002 11:43 am
Obama Visits Doverexpatriate810/31/2009 00:52 am