10 replies [Last post]
Information on 25/26 in CO

I'm a Florida boy scheduled for a do it yourself drop hunt in either 25 or 26, my choice. We are using Winterhawk outfitters for transport to and from spike camp, after that we are on our own. Any info on what type of terrain and elevation to hunt during second rifle season would be much appreciated. Also if anyone has info they would like to share on this outfitter I would appreciate it. I've done a couple of trips into the Flat Tops as a do it yourself pack-in for archery but never in mid-October. Will weather limit our ability to roam the mountains?We are supposed to be aroud 10,000 feet.. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

rocksurfer,
As far as where to hunt, looks like you will be limited to the area around the spike camp that they take you to. Should be an excellent opportunity to find a nice animal. The guide that packs you into your camp should be able to point you in the direction of some elk on the way in and when you get to your campsite.
So much of "what to do" is dependent on the weather and you won't know that until you get there. According to their website, you are limited to 70 lbs. of gear. You will have to pack clothing that will make you comfortable in weather that could be sunny and 50 degrees during the day to cold and a foot or more of snow. You will have to pack for both possibilities and everything in between.
Make sure you are in shape! Just going from FL to 10K feet will tax your body without even leaving camp.
Wishing you the best of luck!

Info on 25/26 in Co.

Thanks for the information. Just being in Co again will be great! What type of spotting scope is recommended for hunting the heights? Compact or regular length. I'm thinking about a Burris Compact 12-24X, is that enough power?

Sorry bud, not a good one to ask about a spotting scope, I personally don't have one. I would guess based on your weight restrictions established by the outfitter, if you must take one go with the compact.
Call the outfitter and check with them. You're paying them well, make them earn their check!!

Are there any ideas on a "best" caliber? .338 vs 3

I've got a .338 that I have not had alot of chances to use down here in the deep south. I shoot a 30-06 that I've had for years and I'm very comfortable with 300 yard shots using this gun. Should I stick to the gun I use most or try and get familiar with my .338? What type is more popular with the locals out there?

I use an '06 myself. I had a .338, but didn't like the recoil.
Both calibers will do the job, without question.
This gives you the opportunity to go to the range with both rifles. Practice, practice, practice. If you get comfortable with the 338, then take it. If not, you have been practicing with your '06 as well.
I don't have the ballistics in front of me, but I think the 338 probably has better long range numbers. Maybe some of the expert reloaders on this site could give you that info.
Ballistics only matter if you can make the shot. I found that the 338 had me flinching and I wasn't as good of a shot with it. I went back to the trusty old '06 and have had no problems.
Good luck!

I would ask your outfitter these questions. They should give you accurate info on all your questions. I have heard good things and not so good things about winterhawk outfitters. I know they take quite a few hunters each year. Ask for references for sure. Good luck!

Just what i was fixing to say heard some not so good stuff about Winter Hawk don't have any proof just here say but i think since it was a drop camp might not be in such a good place check on http://www.huntinfo.com in outfitter reviews my find more info if you don't like what you see try to get refund and use another outfitter think swollen tounge is one and what i seen a great area. You will see mixed opions but be your on judge.

PaRu
I sold my business in 2004. The new owners are Coffeepot High Country Outfitters out of Montrose. http://www.coffeepotoutfitters.com they added my area to their existing outfitting areas. I am now retired from outfitting. They do a good job and are honest people. As I said, he better get some references on any outfitter. Shame on You!
Thanks for the input and stay warm!.
Swollen Tongue

Quality of outfitter vs quality of area to hunt

Guys, I really appreciate your information, you guys are great! You've provided some food for thought and a great deal of needed information. We've already given Winterhawk the initial deposit and two of the three reviews sound good,even though they are quite a few years old! I think we all have some sour grapes from hunts that don't turn out as we'd like them too. Our "group leader" did lots of research on outfitters and Larry's was recommended by all of the references that he provided(over 300 names). Sounds as if I need to pack the trusty 30-06 and since I load my own rounds, just try and get something suitable to take a elk and mulie. Anyone try Barnes x-bullets?or will a Nosler partition work just as well?. Still haven't heard if 25/26 is a good place for 2nd season rifle yet....

Those units are excellent! especially if you are packing in away from the crowds.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Ballistic informationhostage67505/07/2007 22:26 pm
Posting Hunting Information...7mm08403/05/2009 20:34 pm
Ft Peck Reservoir Deer Hunt Information?Clearwater_ID202/03/2004 13:36 pm
Oregon Bow SPECSWalter002/18/2005 12:20 pm
Information Neededblume5478209/30/2008 10:00 am