8 replies [Last post]
BuckBuster26's picture
info on CO GMU 7/8 & 9/19/191

So my brother and I are getting ready to put in for the drawing (deer and elk) and have had a change in plans on hunting areas. We usually hunt around Maybell 3/301 and have done very good in the past. But with both of us expecting little ones in august and october things have changed. We need to stay closer to home (we live in fort collins). Now we started out hunting 7/8 (bull mountain area) in the mid 90's - early 00's. so we are familar with the area. We are thinking of either going 3rd or 4th season (leaning more towards 3rd since we could go up both weekends). Now my questions are hows the hunting been the last few years? I know all about the wipe out of CWD and the DOW's experiments.....if we are going 3rd or 4th season should we still hunt 7/8 bull mountain area or will the elk have moved down towards their wintering grounds in 9/19/191???? its been so long since we have hunted over there not sure how the elk and deer move. Any suggestions on areas to check out, or past experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

exbiologist's picture
what's your priority?

Elk or deer?  It helps to focus on one or the other and take the secondary species as merely a bonus during a combo hunt.  Very few places are good for both at the same place and same time.

BuckBuster26's picture
thinking

Thinking about both actually.... But probably more so on the deer/buck and looking at a cow as a bonus.

what would the options be for a cow first buck as a bonus??

exbiologist's picture
lots of options

But none of them good if you are trying to stay local.  Most of the elk from the Poudre units are killed in unit 7 by about a 40 or 50% margin.  So if elk are you priority head there.

But if deer are you priority, of the Poudre units, about twice as many come from 191.  Really hard to compromise here for a combo hunt.  

2010 harvest stats:

7 146 elk, 111 deer

8 114 elk, 142 deer

9 55 elk, 101 deer

19 94 elk, 161 deer

191 48 elk, 286 deer

So it's tough to compromise, thats why I'd focus on one species as your primary, then consider the other a bonus

BuckBuster26's picture
Thanks

Thank you for your responce and insite. We have a tough decision to make!

BuckBuster26's picture
another question

another question...... I havnt really looked at the left over list in a few years since we usually draw out in our normal hunting areas of 3 & 301. My question is do buck tags and cow tags make it to the leftover list for units 7/8 19/191/9??????? we would really like to make our decision after some summer scouting but with the draw deadline approching and not being able to get out and scout before april......

exbiologist's picture
stats

Look here for last year's deer drawing stats:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/2011/2011DEERDrawSum.pdf

See the current balance section for each hunt code to determine which go to leftovers (if it's more than 0, it goes into the leftover draw, and large portion of those are available on leftover day.)

Used to be a lot more leftovers in those units, there's fewer and fewer now that they have been cutting back licenses and people are learning about the draw.  Some people still think these units are OTC because there used to be a lot of leftovers during the population reduction period a few years ago.

If you're not going to be able to scout before the drawing, and since you can't count on leftovers, you may as well commit to an area that you know

COMeatHunter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
There were 101 left over

There were 101 left over muzzle buck tags for 7/8/9/191/19 and 74 leftover cow tags for unit 9 late season (Oct. 15 through Nov. 30).  There were some unit 9 cow tags for private too, but I'm assuming you're thinking public ground tags.

Attached is a .pdf of the leftover list from last year so you can check it out for yourself.

PreviewAttachmentSize
2011Leftovers.pdf173.24 KB
BuckBuster26's picture
Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone! If we decide on hunting the front range we will probably go with 7/8 like exbio said that is the area we are most familiar with, but this year we will concentrate more on area 7 with our cow tags (across from hohnholz lakes/glendevey area and west of larimie river rd 103) and think of a buck tag as a bonus!

Today i got some great news we may be heading over to our normal stomping grounds of area 3/301. I called up the maybell store to see if they would tell me who made that awesome map that i bought there last year because i wanted to see if they made one for areas 7/8 (it showed everything from blm,state trust lands that were open and which were closed, all roads, private lands, every water source). I spoke to the owner of the store my wife and her have gotten really close over the last couple of years and she said she was going to talk with her husband and his family and they might give us access to all their ranches in the area. crossing my figers!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Colorado Mulies?rockz312/28/2007 17:33 pm
Idaho Unit 17 info...PopeShawnPaul211/10/2005 01:06 am
Info for unit24 coloradoshawn0915108/28/2009 20:07 pm
Trinidad, Colorado elk infoas moeggs105/08/2007 12:44 pm
Tresspass huntsmrklean204/17/2009 13:08 pm