11 replies [Last post]
IMR 8208 XBR Powder Review

March 2010 Product Review:

IMR 8208 XBR Powder Review

IMR and Hodgdon have introduced a new powder especially for the 223 and 308, which due to its consistency will produce exceptional accuracy. Chris Hodgdon from the Hodgdon powder company was kind enough to send me a sample for testing and evaluation. The new powder was made available and started shipping in January 2010. The Hodgdon Powder Company owns IMR powders and produces their line. For this review we are going to test the new IMR 8208 XBR powder. Read more...

Please use this area to post comments or questions about this feature article.

Re: IMR 8208 XBR Powder Review

I appreciate you taking the time to work up some loads and review this new offering. I like the fact that you informed us its a little slower burning than anticipated and that will save me some time in testing it in some of my rifles. I due think it would be prudent to explain to some 'ES & SD'. You used it extensively and although it may have been edited out, for people trying to learn the processes they should understand all parameters and measurements. Thanks again for the review.

Don Fischer's picture
txbwana wrote:
I appreciate you taking the time to work up some loads and review this new offering. I like the fact that you informed us its a little slower burning than anticipated and that will save me some time in testing it in some of my rifles. I due think it would be prudent to explain to some 'ES & SD'. You used it extensively and although it may have been edited out, for people trying to learn the processes they should understand all parameters and measurements. Thanks again for the review.

Welcome to BGH!

I didn't read the article yet but if SD and ES weren't explained, go for it. Having not read it yet, it sounds like Standard Dievation and Extream spread. A cronograph came into play!

Es which is extreme spread from the fastest to the slowest shot and sd which is standard deviation, the average difference between shots, are two ways to measure ammo consistency. The consistency is an important factor in developing good loads. The lower the es and sd the more consistent the ammo is and it will probably be more accurate. The low es and sd shows that the load is compatable with the firearm being used. If requested I can write an article about working up the best loads for a particular gun and what to look for. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

Or you could just post an artricle for us all to read. We all would welcome some good reading in the off-season. Thanks

Ecubackpacker, alcan7 is Bob Shell who wrote the article that is linked at the beginning of this thread.

Here on BGH we post new articles and reviews every week. You can check out the lastest reviews here:
http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/

And all our latest articles here:
http://www.biggamehunt.net/articles/

And for member submitted stories, they are all here:
http://www.biggamehunt.net/stories/

Lots of off season reading material! Big smile

ecubackpacker's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

It's good to have this info to chew on until the next season comes around. Thanks

If requested by the folks who run the site I will write an article about working up loads and what to look for besides velocity, es and sd.

Don Fischer's picture

Something I find strange about new powder's is why? We have had a lot of great powder's for a long time and not many of the new one's bring much to the table. This new stuff is especially for the 223 and 308 for accuracy? Wow, I can think of several powder's that will get either and most inbetween down to 1/2" or less in a well bedded rifle off the shelf with good bvullet's. If a powder like this does take off, what will eventually be dropped? Maybe nothing?

This is like the new bullet's. That 168gr 30 cal bullet sound's like has got a lot of attention. What does it do the 165 didn't already do? How about the 190 gr that the 180 or 200 won't do? The only bullet advances I've seen in years have been the x type and the bonded core. But was the bonded core really anything that new? Speer has been making the hot core fore a lot of years and those cores and jacket's don't seperate. Funny this all started many years ago.
Explain to me why there was a 50, 52, 53 and 55 gr 22 cal bullet's?

It's all marketing! Consider the 300 WSM. What will it do that the 300 Win won't? Fit in a short action, that's it! Look at the aray of 300 amag around now. It's almost like you could make an animal deader than dead!

I see Bob wrote a reply while is was making a fool of myself. I think that would be a very good idea. Thumbs up Seem's a lot of folk's don't have a clue how to work up a load, of course none of them are on here! Big smile

Part of it is marketing. There are a lot of new powders, bullets and rifles coming out all of the time. I guess it sells the stuff. I have recently submitted a review on the 300 RCM which should be published at any time which dosn't do anything that any other 300 short won't do but it's in a nifty package that is handy to carry. I am in the process of evaluating the new 338 RCM which is another short mag wrapped in a short and handy package. Does it offer anything not found elsewhere? We will see.
Stuff like that sells guns as there is always people who have to have the newest on the market. Wether it lasts or not is up to the public. I keep in touch with most of the bullet makers and they are always coming out with something new every week it seems. They send me samples for testing and to be honest most guns and loads will outshoot their owners especially from a hunting position. I am working on a product review on the Remington VTR in 308 and it looks like it will produce excellent accuracy but no better then other compatible rifles on the market.
There is a lot of mis-information out there in regards to working up loads with most newbies looking for max velocity without regard to the other factors involved in a good load. Maybe some of that can be cleared up.

IMR 8208 XBR

some of you have the test data of the closed vessel for IMR8208 xbr?
For example: the curve of pressure vs. time

Related Forum Threads You Might Like