4 replies [Last post]
1jaycoolman's picture
I'm looking to start or join a bowhunt trip to Colorado 231

I'm looking to start or join a bowhunt trip to Colorado. I live in western Illinois (near I-70) I have mules. I've been looking at unit 231. Does anyone have any advise for that area should I go it alone?
Any input is apreciated, Thanks, Jay.

exbiologist's picture

Jay,
That's a generous offer and I hope someone takes you up on it. Since you have the mules, you may as well hunt all the way back in Trout Creek, in the Wilderness Area (you'll need to pack your own feed). Since 231 is OTC with pretty good road access, that's really the only place you can go to put some distance between yourself and others.

1jaycoolman's picture
exbiologist wrote:
Jay,
That's a generous offer and I hope someone takes you up on it. Since you have the mules, you may as well hunt all the way back in Trout Creek, in the Wilderness Area (you'll need to pack your own feed). Since 231 is OTC with pretty good road access, that's really the only place you can go to put some distance between yourself and others.

Thanks. I've allways camped at the road, How much and what type of feed would one need to pack in per day, per mule.

exbiologist's picture

I don't know on pelleted feed, but if you're feeding hay most guys up it 3 flakes twice a day if the horses are working hard. You'll at the very least need weed free hay, even if you're not in the backcountry

if you are packing in, Packer pellets( thats what the brand name is at our feed store) are the only way to go in my opinion. Depending on what kind you get they have suggested feed amounts for what weight horse/mule right on the bag.

Even when i have packed in to areas with a lot of grazing, the pellets/feed bag tend to take less of your time and allows you to focus your energy on hunting.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
What am I doing? DIY CO Elk Huntballsie2808/11/2013 17:56 pm
Best place to live in NW coloradohasky702/26/2010 14:38 pm
New to ColoradoRemington742603/21/2010 08:25 am
Colorado GMU 3SOBLE709/13/2010 07:28 am
Wyoming and Colorado bowhuntingWags_2404/27/2010 13:28 pm