21 replies [Last post]
SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1780
If the rest of the world could vote
CVC wrote:
Civetcat call the US the world's pariah and I simply asked which country best represents his ideal? Certainly, the US being a pariah can't be the ideal so which world country is it?

It is a legitimate question to better understand his view point.

Why can't he answer? Why do you have to defend him?

Offering my viewpoint is all not defending anyone. I'm sure civetcat will provide you with an answer.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
If the rest of the world could vote
SoCoKHntr wrote:
CVC wrote:
Civetcat call the US the world's pariah and I simply asked which country best represents his ideal? Certainly, the US being a pariah can't be the ideal so which world country is it?

It is a legitimate question to better understand his view point.

Why can't he answer? Why do you have to defend him?

Offering my viewpoint is all not defending anyone. I'm sure civetcat will provide you with an answer.

Fair enough, but I bet he won't answer.

Offline
Moderator
Location: Florida,USA
Joined: 08/21/2003
Posts: 1566
If the rest of the world could vote
CVC wrote:
Fair enough, but I bet he won't answer.

He won't answer.
If he does it'll be a rant with a link to a wing nut koolaid cafe that vaguely has anything to do with the question put forth to him.
I would like to hear his answer also as I will buy him a 1-way first class plane ticket to that country.
Mabe then he'll leave this country alone an quit trashing it every chance he gets and be happy in his ideal place.

Offline
Joined: 07/29/2008
Posts: 723
If the rest of the world could vote

I've been out doing things today. By standing with N Korea and China as pariah's I was refferring explicitly by our refusal to join the 108 other nations in the International Criminal Court.
http://www.icc-cpi.int/region&id=1.html
Off the top of my head I can only think of N Korea, China, Laos, Vietnam, Burma, but I'm sure there must be many others who fear to join.

Interesting about Sadam Hussien, I remember first noticing him and Iraq when Reagan granted him those multi billion dollar "agricultural" loans to avoid the restrictions congress had enacted for human rights violations. Sadam was much worse back in the 80s if that can be imagined. That's how all those photos with Bush #1 and Rumsfeld were taken. We were very involved with Sadam's early years. Enemy of our enemies and all.

I prefer the US over all countries as it is the country of my fathers for generations, it is up to us to make it respected around the world again. I will say that though many don't like our current government or it's policies I've found that Americans in general are very well liked by most people everywhere. I've met many people who fought against us for many years and lost many family members in our wars who bear us no ill will. I've heard the expression "everywere has some good some bad" when used to describe people. And I've heard it said in many languages.

I believe that just as we as Americans have many more shared beliefs than those that separate us, so too do we share a common humanity with all people everywhere.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
If the rest of the world could vote

You've contradicted yourself. First you claim that the US is a pariah and then you say that

Quote:
I've found that Americans in general are very well liked by most people everywhere.

Well, we are either shunned by the world or we are liked - we can't be both.

Offline
Joined: 07/29/2008
Posts: 723
If the rest of the world could vote
Quote:
we are either shunned by the world or we are liked - we can't be both.

They don't like our govt's policies, but they do like our people and even the opportunity of inclusiveness our country represents. Most people of the world are sophisticated enought to make the distinction, are we?

Offline
Joined: 07/29/2008
Posts: 723
If the rest of the world could vote

On a more positive note.

The election results have been universaly acclaimed thoughout the world. I think it's a good thing that our president elect is without doubt the most popular politician in the world today. He will enter office with a lot of good will.

Offline
Moderator
Location: Florida,USA
Joined: 08/21/2003
Posts: 1566
If the rest of the world could vote
JTapia wrote:

He won't answer.
If he does it'll be a rant with a link to a wing nut koolaid cafe that vaguely has anything to do with the question put forth to him.

I stand corrected, he DID answer !!!

Offline
Moderator
Location: Florida,USA
Joined: 08/21/2003
Posts: 1566
If the rest of the world could vote
civetcat wrote:
On a more positive note.

The election results have been universaly acclaimed thoughout the world. I think it's a good thing that our president elect is without doubt the most popular politician in the world today. He will enter office with a lot of good will.

Here is the Greeting from Russia, Lots of goodwill here.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081106/ap_on_re_eu/eu_russia_medvedev_15

expatriate's picture
Offline
Location: Arizona
Joined: 10/26/2002
Posts: 3207
If the rest of the world could vote

He's universally acclaimed because nations all over the globe see opportunity in American weakness. The EU loves him because their economy will gain over ours. The Middle East loves him because he won't engage or contain. Latin America and Africa love him because they're hoping he'll spread our wealth their way.

It's the same reason the rest of the world loves the UN -- it gives them far more power than they'd have otherwise.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Get out there and VOTE!!!awmiller711/13/2010 21:25 pm
Using the Zumbo effectRoach711003/19/2007 10:45 am
Slaughter House Rulesbitmasher1603/30/2010 14:11 pm
Vote Vetspangolin1006/01/2009 07:22 am
Vote to have a wolf hunt.Hiker507/27/2009 06:58 am