3 replies [Last post]
I need a holster recommendation for 1911's

I have a few 1911's I want to hunt with. They will carry either a small scope or one of several red dots.

My leaning is toward leather to cover and protect the gun and to keep it from being grabbed by brush, thorn and vine. So while competition style holsters are really spiffy and everything - and maybe even hold them very securely they are exactly what I don't want.

I was actually given one in a big box of used reloading equipment I bought but it was left handed so I immediately gave it away. If it helps, it was a Davis leather with LG and then 22450 6 1/2. It was definitely for a 5" 1911 so I don't know what that 6 1/2 indicates. Davis leather is no more so I can't contact him but the holster would be useable except for being left handed.

It was a mid-low carry with an open front down to about 1/2" from the muzzle. There might have been a metal spring in it, I really don't remember. But it did have retention screws that you could adjust that would make it very difficult to draw at all. I want a strong side (right hand) carry and whether it has a thumb strap or not I am open to, so long as it can hold the gun very securely.

I would really appreciate any advice on where to go to find something. I don't want a shoulder holster and I would like to avoid paying for custom builds if at all possible. I figure I can't be the only one that wants to hunt with a sighted 1911.

Many Thanks
Mark

Be using a Fobus holster since they hit the market. Cheap , light, simple and comfortable. Never wore one out yet and it gets used daily. What ever you do don't get the cheap nylon "tactical" crap thats floating around the net and cheaper than cheap places. If you want good quality leather your gonna pay for it.

I have a few Fobus holsters and they are good quality. They don't make one for a scoped 1911 though.

Ahhhh, missed the scoped part. Sorry.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like