I drew a moose tag this year and will be hunting Northeast Utah in late September or early October. I haven't nailed down exact dates just yet.
I am doing as much research and what not as possible. It's not my first big game hunt by any means but it is my first Moose hunt.
I have some questions that I'm hoping I can get some experiential advice on. Any help is appreciated:
1. What sort of weather can I expect? Wet? Snow?
2. I'm planning on taking my .300 Weatherby with 180 gr Barnes X. From what I've read, that's more than enough gun but I might perhaps benefit from using a even heavier-for-caliber bullet. Also, the shots tend to be close correct? My rifle is sighted ~1.5" high at 100 which I can't really see a reason to change for this.
3. I expect we'll be riding into the backcountry so I'm taking some horseback lessons just to get comfortable again. I haven't ridden in a couple years.
4. I need some help in understanding trophy judgement and what constitutes a trophy Shiras moose. In my mind I think of Alaskan Moose when I think "Moose" and I know I shouldn't expect that...
5. Any special equipment I should consider?