6 replies [Last post]
Hunting Hogs with .223

any one have any thoughts or experaince hunting hogs with a AR 15 or any .223 round? Think

Hunting Hogs with .223

Hello from Germany!

A .223 will be much to weak for a normal hog. For the little one it 'll work perhaps. The .223 has to less penetration power on the hogs faty skin, equal which bullet you use. Futher more you have a to small impact hole and certainly never an exit of the bullet. So you will in most cases get serious wounded hogs which can escape. Searchuing and finding them will be very dangerous. I would prefer a .308 minimum, better a 8x57 or .300 Win Mag.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Re: Hunting Hogs with .223
VaScout wrote:
any one have any thoughts or experaince hunting hogs with a AR 15 or any .223 round? Think

*** When I was 18 years old I spent 6 months working on a huge sheep and cattle station in central Queensland Oz. One of my jobs was to try to kill as many of the feral hogs as I could. I could always count on there being 1-4 at every bore hole (watering area for sheep and cattle). The only rifle I had was a Remington .222. With careful shot placement I killed a lot of pigs with it (like about 60). I also had fair few get away wounded. This was not sport hunting and the station owner was also poisoning them. Every dead pig was many more live lambs so I wasn't bothered much by the wounded ones getting away. I have to say that many, many times I wished for a real big game caliber. I would have settled for anything in 7mm or up.
The only other rifle on the place was a .303 British that the boss used and the pigs he shot almost always died either on the spot or a short distance away.
I would use the .223 if it was the only thing I had and could get. If I had another option I would take it.
The .222 did kill dingos and kangaroos (used to feed the stock dogs) very reliably.

Hunting Hogs with .223

I agree with the above two assessments of the .223 as a hog caliber. It's just too light. Can it kill hogs? Certainly, but it's far from optimal. It would be good for head shots, but they don't always present themselves. You want penetration in spades on all animals you hunt, so that whatever angle presents itself you know that you can reach the vitals. I know many will say it's overkill (whatever that means -- there are no degrees of dead), but I love my .338 win mag for hogs. It absolutely hammers 'em!

Hunting Hogs with .223

I ranch for a living in Texas. I kill around 150 hogs a year. We trap them, shoot them, and run some dogs sometimes. I carry a Ar 15 Bushmaster alot of the time as my truck gun. I shoot hornady V max Molly's in it. The .223 round is plenty of gun for a hog. We kill hogs over 200 lbs frequently and do not listen to people that say .223 is not enough gun. I kill alot with a .22 hornet. I would say most of it depends on the ammo you choose. Choose a bullet that fragments well, for this causes alot of damage and shock to the animal. Usually it does not matter where you hit it for the bullet will break a major bone such as the spine. Be safe and happy hunting.

Hunting Hogs with .223

Yes, but bullets that fragment don't penetrate well as they come apart. I'd bank on a caliber slinging heavier bullets for complete pass-throughs as two holes tend to bleed more than one (Elmer Keith was right on in my opinion). Just not a believer in the using the minimum when I have other options avaialble to me. Not trying to be contrary........

Hunting Hogs with .223

All aspect are good.....I just do not like to carry a huge weapon with me on a daily basis. I carry a general all purpose gun and have never had problems dropping a hog. Pigs are tuff and shot placement for most is vital, but hit them in the head or neck and it is all over. Enjoyed eveyone's comments.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
hog hunting w/dogs in Kansas?TedH71107/11/2006 10:08 am
Hogs vs. Deer64pilot2311/16/2006 21:32 pm
FWC needs help with feral hogs on Box-RJTapia004/09/2009 19:49 pm
Hogsjmol011/03/2008 10:27 am
looking for hogs in ColoradoArcherlee304/04/2008 21:01 pm