29 replies [Last post]
Offline
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Joined: 09/15/2006
Posts: 204
Hunting in Eastern VA

The QDMA that Oceana and Dam Neck have is a joke IMO. Mainly at Oceana. I can count on 1 hand the number of bucks that will make the 15" inside spread. All of which I seen before the season opener. The genetics just ain't there. Don't get me wrong I had a nice 9pt that was atleast 18" tall but at the widest he maybe pushed a 12" ISS within bow range and gave plenty of shot chances but I didn't feel like loosing base hunting rights over shooting it. They have vertical racks rather than basket racks. But I did go toe to toe with several spike that not telling what they will become as they was only 1-3" long.

Offline
Joined: 12/07/2008
Posts: 15
big and small

Hey Bullbuster, if those deer get in your way I'll shoot the spike. Remember, the smaller the deer, the less weight you have to drag. Later

Offline
Location: Virginia
Joined: 12/11/2008
Posts: 38
Re: big and small
Bucktail366 wrote:
Hey Bullbuster, if those deer get in your way I'll shoot the spike. Remember, the smaller the deer, the less weight you have to drag. Later

Hey Bucktail, in order to shoot spikes at Oceana they have to be "true spikes" with both sides at least 6" long. One side at anything less can cost you your base hunting for 30 days to a year. That means all Navy bases around here, not just Oceana. Have to agree with Bullbuster, not a lot of bucks that meet the minimum requirements. Got tired of letting nice deer walk so I quit hunting Oceana all together back in October.

Offline
Joined: 12/07/2008
Posts: 15
Re: big and small
whitetailfever wrote:
Bucktail366 wrote:
Hey Bullbuster, if those deer get in your way I'll shoot the spike. Remember, the smaller the deer, the less weight you have to drag. Later

Hey Bucktail, in order to shoot spikes at Oceana they have to be "true spikes" with both sides at least 6" long. One side at anything less can cost you your base hunting for 30 days to a year. That means all Navy bases around here, not just Oceana. Have to agree with Bullbuster, not a lot of bucks that meet the minimum requirements. Got tired of letting nice deer walk so I quit hunting Oceana all together back in October.

I'm not quite caught up on all the VA regs, but what is the requirement on rack size? I understand the spike thing but Bullbuster mentioned something about letting a couple big ones go. Thanks

Offline
Location: Virginia
Joined: 12/11/2008
Posts: 38
Re: big and small

I'm not quite caught up on all the VA regs, but what is the requirement on rack size? I understand the spike thing but Bullbuster mentioned something about letting a couple big ones go. Thanks

It's not VA regs he was talking about it was the QDM rules at Oceana. For muzzy a buck has to have 8 or more points and an inside spread of 15" or bigger and bow is 8 points or more also but I am not sure of the inside spread. I don't bow hunt (yet) so I don't remember the spread for sure but I think it is 14". Does are fair game and we get DMAP tags for them so they don't count against your state license, but button bucks will cost you a 30 day suspension so you got to be sure before you drop the hammer. We do have some big deer on base, but we have more "almost" bucks than legal shooters

Offline
Joined: 12/07/2008
Posts: 15
Re: big and small
whitetailfever wrote:
I'm not quite caught up on all the VA regs, but what is the requirement on rack size? I understand the spike thing but Bullbuster mentioned something about letting a couple big ones go. Thanks

It's not VA regs he was talking about it was the QDM rules at Oceana. For muzzy a buck has to have 8 or more points and an inside spread of 15" or bigger and bow is 8 points or more also but I am not sure of the inside spread. I don't bow hunt (yet) so I don't remember the spread for sure but I think it is 14". Does are fair game and we get DMAP tags for them so they don't count against your state license, but button bucks will cost you a 30 day suspension so you got to be sure before you drop the hammer. We do have some big deer on base, but we have more "almost" bucks than legal shooters

Didn't know that. Sounds like the base is running some kind of "high fence" big buck system. I guess I'll get the rest of the facts before I give judge. Anyway I'm looking to get a new bow. Right now I shoot a recurve- no sights no quiver- weights like a pound. Killed one with it, just like to have something that shoots a little further. Later

Offline
Location: Southeastern Louisiana
Joined: 12/03/2008
Posts: 5
Re: Hunting in Eastern VA
tesoronut wrote:
Bucktail366 wrote:
Just moving to Norfolk area and noticed that there is just a couple of WMAs. Where the heck do you hunt around here?

I know it's a long drive for you, but Fort Pickett, Va(near Blackstone), gets alot of hunters from your area. The hunting at Pickett is nothing short of INCREDIBLE. I'd say it's Virginia's "Best Kept Secret" for big bucks. And the place is large enough so that hunters don't interfere with each other. Since they banned deer dogs 10 years or so ago, it is peaceful. And you can find virgin hardwood forests, swampland, fields, pine thickets, and the Nottoway River runs through the reservation. Military training can limit the available areas to hunt, but even if training is heavy, you can usually find a good place to hunt. NO RIFLES ALOWED. Unless things have changed, you can use slug guns or black powder rifles, but no high-power rifles. Oh, almost forgot....You have to show proof of a Hunter's Ed. class completion. If you go by their game checking station and see the pictures of all the 'monsters", you will be convinced.

I do agree with tesoronut; Fort Pickett is great. Never heard one bad thing.

Offline
Joined: 10/21/2008
Posts: 10
Re: big and small
Bucktail366 wrote:
Does are fair game and we get DMAP tags for them so they don't count against your state license, but button bucks will cost you a 30 day suspension so you got to be sure before you drop the hammer.

How in the world are you supposed to tell a button from a doe in the woods? Sounds like they are trying to get the buck/doe ratio all out of balance.

Offline
Location: Virginia
Joined: 12/11/2008
Posts: 38
Re: big and small
Lone Predator wrote:
Bucktail366 wrote:
Does are fair game and we get DMAP tags for them so they don't count against your state license, but button bucks will cost you a 30 day suspension so you got to be sure before you drop the hammer.

How in the world are you supposed to tell a button from a doe in the woods? Sounds like they are trying to get the buck/doe ratio all out of balance.

Not sure exactly what thier plans are to be honest with you. I have passed on more than one deer because I wasn't 100% sure. Gets real aggravating seeing 20-30 deer a year and not taking any of them.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Boar Hunting in Eastern EuropeJohnny_Mo103/13/2014 05:59 am
Eastern Hercules Beetlefishingbuddy407006/27/2013 08:01 am
Got my Kansas EasternRacks&Quacks005/11/2009 12:09 pm
Kansas Eastern and Rio Combo HuntCritter done301/14/2011 09:04 am
GMU 22 & 32 & Eastern Plains ElkFostersMan010/05/2008 21:49 pm