15 replies [Last post]
Hunter Report; GMU 24; 1st Rifle Elk 2012 (10/11-17) with Ripple Creek Lodge Outfitter

Please post if you know where the elk were in GMU 24 in 2012!

We hunted GMU 24 1st Rifle Elk 2012 with Ripple Creek Lodge outfitters. Zero elk taken by the the 13 guided hunters and only 1 elk (a 3x5) was taken in the 5 drop camps. That one was taken North of County Road 8 and up the pass. Nothing was taken in the wildeness area. Very few elk were even seen and minimal sign.

Is it likely that the elk were further east in GMU 24 as the CPW write up of that unit indicates?

Our guide had minimal area to take us too without bumping into other hunters from the same unit. Significant numbers of public DIY hunters in that area as well. We hunted mostly between the Lily Pond trail and the Beaver Creek draw (east of Trapper's Lake Road). Note: in 2011, ~15 guided hunters with this outfitter tagged out completely by day 3 (many bulls) - verified by independent sources.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Wow, 1 for 18???????  Bad elk

Wow, 1 for 18???????  Bad elk year, or bad guide service?  Seems like they overbooked too if you were bumping into each other, but you say they did well last year, so who knows.

Sorry you didn't get into the elk. 

I got back from the area

I got back from the area Tuesday.  Hunted Lynx creek, Picket Pin, Bear Creek, and Hauskins creek -- basically covered the entire area north of trappers lake road from Ripple Creek to Skinny fish up to the rims.  Put in about 15 miles/day looking for elk.  I saw 2 6-point bulls (antlers only, no bodies) on the first day, never saw the cows I was hunting for.  No one else was seeing elk.  Ran into one of the guides from Ripple Creek and heard the same story.  Good elk county, no animals, too many people.  Not going back there.

B.A.M.F's picture
Ouch!! Sort to hear! Better

Ouch!! Sort to hear! Better luck next yr!

indianw's picture
unit 24

I just got back and I got my bull seen about 25 total with 3 bulls. shot him with my Rem. 700 270 at about 25 yrds. This was a solo hunt 5.5 miles in at about 10000' here are pictures one was opening morning my tent colapsed from the snow fun. won't let me attach any more photos sorry.

PreviewAttachmentSize
P1080314.JPG
P1080314.JPG3.95 MB
Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Nice Bull! Congrats!

Nice Bull! Congrats!

SoCoKHntr's picture
indianw

Congrats on a great bull on a great solo hunt! Thumbs up

IndianW

Nice bull!! Little hard work doesn't hurt.
Congrats again!!

Striker's picture
Bad luck?

Wow JDP that's pretty bad. Next year you might try DYI or another outfitter. Realize that lots of outfitters will really talk up their areas and show you pictures and all that but the tend to exagerate in many cases. I would recommend do more research your self on the numbers taken from units in the area you are looking at and see if you can contact previous hunters that have used the outfitter you looking at going through. It could have just been a bad year but that being said 1 in 18 is pathetic.

exbiologist's picture
Cracks me up

I'm pretty sure we've been warning people for years that you can't escape the pressure in that unit, whether or not you use a guide and drop camp.  You have to embrace the pressure up there and let it bring elk to you.  

Up in the Flattops

This is the 4 year in a row I have hunted this area 1st season and it was also the most congested. The rumor was that Sports Afield ran 2 articles this year stating the area was the hottest elk spot in America. The resulting mass of hunters supported the rumor. I didn't see an elk alive. I did talk to what seemed to be a young man leading 6 teenagers back in to pack out the 5 elk they took opening weekend. He estimated the herd to be 300 at the time they took their elk. Of course you can imagine the results on the elk herd.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Ripple Creek LodgeColojoe006/10/2011 07:21 am
Ripple Creek outfitters and Lodgeddorsey33307/24/2012 22:29 pm
Colorado archery elk hunt Unit 24 With Ripple Creek Lodgeddorsey33003/24/2012 08:15 am
Elk hunt in Colorado unit 24gdenno807/26/2012 06:30 am
Snell Creek near Ripple Creek PassIhunt4food102/11/2014 12:12 pm