How do you guys/gals feel about preference points? Idaho has proposed a preference point system and was taking discussions about their proposal. I have not heard the final result if it will came into play for 2011 but was wondering what your thoughts about preference points in Idaho, Oregon, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado or any other states that currently uses them…
19 replies [Last post]
Wed, 2010-07-07 14:18
How do you feel about preference points?
Wed, 2010-07-07 15:26#1
I like the system we have in
I like the system we have in oregon. 75% of tags go to the people with the most points than remaining 25% go to everyone else so you always have a chance to draw. if you dont draw your first choice you get a point. if you draw second or lower you get that tag and a point. all in all it works out. for elk i alway put in for our "trophy units" and a spike only tag as 2nd choice so i usally draw the spike tag and get a piont.
Wed, 2010-07-07 15:36#2
Re I like the system we have in
When I wrote my comments to IDFG I used the OR model and some of the stuff they do in UT. In Idaho if you apply for moose, big horn sheep, or goat you cannot put in for any other controlled hunts except for extra anterless tags, or left over tags. In Utah you can apply for every species to hunt. Idaho wants to keep if you draw a tag you will still have to wait a year to reaply. Doesn't seem feasable once you have a preference point system that you are not going to draw anything or at least have a chance like how OR allows 25% of the tags to be in the draw. Interesting to see what happens
Wed, 2010-07-07 15:47#3
It all depends on if you get
It all depends on if you get drawen for a tag or not. As you said in Utah they use bonus points and you may draw a tag your first time and then again you may wait for 20 years and never draw the tag. As an example I have 11 deer bonus points and 14 for buffalo and have know hunters with less tags for both that have drew their tags for both hunts. I know of one person that drew a limited entry elk tag in Utah twice before his father in law drew it once. Now in Colorado you pretty much know how long it will take to draw a tag. If they say 6 points you better have 6 points for that unit if you want to have a chance. That is all except for the sheep, goats, and moose here in Colorado then you need 3 points to even get put into the drawing and then collect bonus points after that. So just about every state is a little bit different with some good and some bad in each.
Wed, 2010-07-07 16:10#5
I put in for the Henry
I put in for the Henry Mountains. It is a great hunt plus you will see huge mule deer. The Antelope Island is too much of a caned hunt for me. I have a cousin that is restricted to a wheel chair and he had a tag for the Antelope Island hunt and he did enjoy it but he would of had a heck of a time in the Henries but we would of got him one down there.
Wed, 2010-07-07 16:19#7
Now if you get my tag before
Now if you get my tag before I do I'm going to be ticked off:rotest1 Just as an FYI in 2008 they let out around 150 buffalo tags on the Henries that included the cow and either sex tags. This year they only let out 34 from what I have heard and that is for 3 or 4 hunts. It all depends on the heard growth from year to year that and they are trying to get a heard established in the Book Cliffs of eastern Utah. Righ now that heard is growing fairly well.
Wed, 2010-07-07 18:15#9
I haven't bothered with
I haven't bothered with buffalo in Wyoming since I have enough irons in the fire in other states. But it would be interesting in hunting them in the park/reserve.