10 replies [Last post]
Hornady 180gr ,30 cal, SST Bullets

Anyone use these bullets? I bought some yesterday for my Browning SS,300 Win Mag to use on Moose this fall. In the past I have used Winchester Fail Safe's, Remington Core Lokt's, and Nosler Partition. My best loads were CCI 250 Mag primers & 72 gr of R19. I have take quite a few Moose, brown bear, elk,caribou etc using this load/ bullets. Well the weather sucks- fishing is spotty and I'm done turkey hunting so--even though I have not been a fan of heavy bullets with polymer points, I decided to try them. I loaded some up Using 72 Gr of R19, 72 Gr of IMR 4831, and 71 gr of Win Supreme 780. My gun/ chamber,would accept bullets 3.60 but the mag only takes those about 3.38 which is very close to Max length in Lyman reloading book. I am going to try them today to tomorrow to see what effect on my accuracy is and which powder my gun likes with this bullet. Any comments/ suggestions/or info on the bullets effectiveness appreciated.

SoCoKHntr's picture
Re: Hornady 180gr ,30 cal, SST Bullets

Widux, I believe the SST is somewhat comparable to the Nosler Ballistic Tip designed for wicked expansion on light skinned game. Although I've read of some guys using them for elk, I believe most use them on deer antelope. For Elk or Moose I'd rather have a bonded bullet like the Hornady Interbond, Nosler partition or Accubond, or some other premium bullet built for penetration. From what I've read most guys get excellent accuracy with them.

Re: Hornady 180gr ,30 cal, SST Bullets

SoCoKHntr--Thanks for reply-- i agree now- Called Hornady--Tech said same thing- OK for Moose BUT do not hit them in shoulder- ditto elk- so I guess i'll load some up for WT deer--I like Core Lokt's and used them for many years/moose in AK. It's been raining here fishing slow so i been messing around with some different loads for my rifles-

Widux, Last year in Wyoming I

Widux, Last year in Wyoming I took a antelope at about 170 yards with 165 SST's with a 300  Weatherby. The buck was facing straight on and all we found was the jacket stuck against the inside of the front shoulder. I don't think it penetrated 10". I'd be cautious about using them on anything bigger. The bad part is that they shot great out of my Accumark with pretty much any powder I fed it. Good luck hunting. PaLuke 

CVC
CVC's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Interesting discussion  

Interesting discussion

dresslikeadeer's picture
My buddy and I did a wet

My buddy and I did a wet phonebook test with both the SST and Interbond bullets, he too was looking for a good pentrating bullet. We found that the Interbond was just as accurate as the SST but penetrated alot futher with better retention. We were using 180gr 30cal out of a .308 rifle. Hope that helps..

Topgun 30-06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I immediately quit using the

I immediately quit using the SST in my 30-06 after one season in Wyoming as I found they expand way too fast on anything larger than antelope.  I now use the 117 gr BTSPs for antelope in my 25-06 and 150s for deer in my 30-06.  If I want to go for elk, I go to the same bullet weight in the Interbond in my 30-06.  They also shoot to the same POI, which is great because I don't have to mess with readjusting my scope. 

JJD
JJD's picture
Not so hot

SST makes for a poor bullet for penetration.  I have found similar results the Nosler Accubond and Hornady Interbond offerings as well.  The Accubonds (180 gr) did not group well at all in my rifle (Rem 700 BDL) even with trying several different powder & primer combos.

For Moose, stick with the Nosler Partition or the Hornady Interlock designs.

I have been working up loads for a 300 win mag as well.  One load that seems to be working nicely is the Berger VLD Hunting in 210 gr.  On the Chronograph, this bullet approaches the speeds of the 180 - 190 gr offerings of other manufatures.  I have killed nothing with it yet myself but witnessed the results on a bull elk taken at just over 200 yds.  Even hitting a shoulder, it retained a good amount of its mass. Penetration was hard to judge as a result of shattering the near shoulder on the way in.  The bullet held together better than one would expect from a company who is more known for punchin paper than performance on game.  At 210 gr, the bullet should be potent medicine for even a good size bull moose.                                                                                                                         With a bit of luck I will recheck the performance myself next Nov on Elk.

Don Fischer's picture
I don't know if anybody

I don't know if anybody noticed or not but Hordany came on the scene pretty late with solid core bullet's, bonded core bullet's and tiped bullet's. I would guess they new what they had in their cup and core bullet's and didn't think the shooting world would really fall for this new stuff. What real advantage does a tipped bullet have to the hunter? You don't really think the improvement in BC is gonna improve flight path all that much do you/ Perhaps it's a concern about tip deformation. Really? How much will that tip improve things at hunting ranges, ever to 400+yds over the conventional led tip? And the deformation in the magazine. Speed did some tests with photo's to show what happens to the tip as it leaves the barrel when they introduced the mag tip bullet in the early 70's. The tip wash's off leaving a mag tip shape!

Speer seem's to have retained their sences and stay with the bullet's that brought then. At oone time all their bullet's were Hot Cores and getting away from them was a mistake. But tell me how Speer down grades a bullet and survives? Reloaders are really a fickle lot that are prone to buy any advertizing that makes them think they can get a group down an eighth inch or slay some huge hairy beast at absurd range.

In reality I doubt a better bullet for hunting has ever been made than the remington core lock. Of course that requires you match the cartridge and the bullet to the game your hunting.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
But them plastic tips are

But them plastic tips are sooooooooo coooooooool.  

I have found that once you find a bullet, powder, primer, and case configeration that works in your rifle stick with it, weather it is a Speer, Nosler, Horady, Sierra, Barnes, or XYZ type of a bullet. 

But then it is fun to experiment with other combinations just to see what they will do.

Don Fischer's picture
Isn't that the truth. I have

Isn't that the truth. I have been using the same load and Hornady 117gr bullet in my 25-06 for about 20 yrs. Befor that my 308 used the same 165gr Hornady for a whole lot longer. My old 7mm Rem Mag spent it's entire life shooting 160gr speer Hot Cores and N205 powder. My 7x57 spent it's life shooting the 154gr Hornady RN.

I think a lot of people are always looking for something better but haven't a clue just how good what they have is. I know guy's that swear by Nosler partitions for deer and antelope. Pretty tuff animals that take a lot of killing I guess. Shoot I think Barnes even makes a TSX 224 cal bullet and Nosler makes a 60gr partition in 22 cal. Absolutely amazing the power of advertising!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
30cal bullets (Co)Englund105/04/2006 18:00 pm
Hornady BulletsCVC806/09/2007 08:37 am
Hornady FPB bulletsKirrmeister002/17/2010 15:28 pm
270 Howa Hunting RifleBigDawg99610/12/2006 17:32 pm
Bullet penetration testTndeerhunter301/07/2011 07:22 am