20 replies [Last post]
HOGGETTER's picture
Hoggetters 2010 Colorado Archery Elk Hunt

Well the time has come and the packs are filled with the supplies, Mine weighs 73lbs and the other two guys are 82lbs and 83lbs. We will be hitting the road a 4AM and driving streight to Dolores, its about 12 hours. Hopefully hitting the trail and packing in just before dark ariving at are first camp 3 miles in, then the other 3 miles sunday morning after a little hunt. I will see you all later, around sept 21. with the hunt details. 

GooseHunter Jr's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Drive safe, hunt safe abnd

Drive safe, hunt safe abnd shoot straight!  Good luck and definetly let us now how it goes!

ecubackpacker's picture
Hope you have safe and

Hope you have safe and productive hunt. I'll be listening for the string music and looking for the pics to follow. Good luck Thumbs up

elkkill06's picture
Good luck

Hope its a great trip. Hunt hard and hunt safe! Thumbs up

Good luck

Good luck guys, looking forward to seeing some pictures when you get back.

hawkeye270's picture
Here's to vocal bulls and

Here's to vocal bulls and meat hanging from the pole!

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Best of luck Hog!!!

Best of luck Hog!!!

numbnutz's picture
Good luck hog. drop a

Good luck hog. drop a monster.

prhunter's picture
stay safe an dgood luck on

stay safe an dgood luck on your hunt.

Oofdah!  I remember my first

Oofdah!  I remember my first backcountry bow hunt... 8 miles in with a 75 lb pack just to get to camp at Fryingpan lake.  I swore I would never carry a pack that heavy again.  So far I have kept them under 60lb ever since...

Good luck, I'll be pulling for you... harvest a big'n and don't let the extra weight tire you out on the pack in!!!

HOGGETTER's picture
The hunt

Well I got back on the 20th and found out one of my rifle hunting buddies was in the hospital from having bad headaches, they did some test on him and found brain cancer and he past away on the 22nd, S.O.B. thats now two very good hunting buddies that I have lost in the last two years to M.F-ing cancer!

As for the hunt, we packed in on sunday morning (and there was frost on the ground), and no other hikers on the trail. We went all the way in and son of a gun, someone was in our camp we made, they were muzzle loaders, locals from town. I dropped my pack there and told the guys i would be on my way as soon as i got my supplies i had tucked away under some logs behind the camp. I went to where it should have been and it was all gone, Three years worth, ( 4 tarps, 2 tents, pots and pans, coffee puculator, propane burner, rope, fishing gear and Misc gear. My blood pressure quickly peaked, I would of expected it to happen in CA but not CO, I asked the muzzle loader hunters what they found when they arrived. They said they were packed in by horse's and the camp was dirty when they arrived and there was nothing there. I recognized my bungie cords and one tarp, they gave it up and we headed 1/2 mile further in and made a new camp site. We  set up camp and headed out for a evening hunt.

The bulls were screaming all over. We quicky set up and began cow calling. Two bulls answered very close to me so I signaled to my two buddies to drop back and lure them in to my shooting lane ( archery ) It was working perfect, first came in the three point bull and following him was a 6X6  300 class bull, He stood in front of me at 50yds quartering towards me, so i chose not to shoot, and he turned and disapeared. I was so pumped up, It was going to be a great elk hunting week. Crap was i wrong, it warmed up to 88deg. in the afternoons and 50deg. in the mornings.

Then plan B set in and we sat on wallows that we had found in previous years up on the shelves. I had no luck, I was rotating wallows each day, twice i had made blinds to hide behind and they were torn down by bulls when I was not there. My two buddies both got shots at cows but they missed, and me i never even got to draw my bow back at a bull, i seen some cows at the wallow, but elected to let them pass.

It was so hot we seen snakes everyday and i didn't even know there were snake up there at 9000ft. They kinda looked like water snakes, but they were only up on the first shelf from the creek.  I did arrow some grouse to eat for dinner and catch some nice cutthrout trout, they were sure tasty. All and all i did have a great time in CO. Come this november i will be going back 3rd  season but this time with the 300SWM, (the equlizer)

The first pic. is me and my to buddies that have past on, The rest are from last week.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like