9 replies [Last post]
JimmyB's picture
Help needed identifying 30-06 & 308 (Updated with Pics (2-14-11)

I'm trying to find the year manufactured, model, and potential value of these rifles. The 308 was given to my dad in the early 70's from his brother who bought it new so my dad thinks late 50's to early 60's. I can't find any serial numbers on this. The only markings are "Cal 308 Win" and "774" on the side of the barrel below the front part of the rail. I've been searching the Internet for hours and haven't found anything. The 30-06 was given to me from my grandfather when he passed away in 1993. My dad says that my grandfather bought the gun new around the same time as the 308, and believes it is a Winchester or maybe a Remington . There are no markings on the barrel. The only thing I've found is I can see the very bottom of 7 markings under the sight rail ontop of the barrel but I can't get the rail off to read the numbers. (can't find right sized flathead to remove the screws)

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

exbiologist's picture
I think I got it

The top .30-06 is a 1903 Springfield, the bottom is some sort of custom Mauser.  Or at least the bolt release looks like it.

Don Fischer's picture
30-06 is definatelly a

30-06 is definatelly a Springfield. Can't see the 308 real well but does look like some kind of mauser action with a custom stock. Doesn't look like it was checkered. Might be a home spun stock and looks pertty nice!

bitmasher's picture
As the others have said the

As the others have said the first is a 1903, probably an 03-A3, that has been sporterized.

The second is most likely a custom gun built on a mauser action, the 77* (774 possibly) is possibly a serial number created by the maker of the gun.

JimmyB's picture
Thanks for the info guys! I'm

Thanks for the info guys! I'm still trying to get to the serial # on the Springfield but I can't get the screws loose on the rail and I don't want to strip them or scratch the rifle!

So you guys are saying that the 308 is probably a custom built rifle using a Mauser action? Or did Winchester use Mauser actions in any of their models? I mean can "774" really be a serial # for a rifle? Or if being custom they just put on a barrel from a 308 Winchester? And if it is all custom is there anyway to date it and put a value with it?

Here's some more pictures of the 308.... I'm not sure if you would have to look at something specific on the rifle so I just took a few different pictures of the opposite side from the first picture then some pictures of the bolt and action and the barrel where it's marked "Cal 308 Win"

PreviewAttachmentSize
308_1.jpg
308_1.jpg168.42 KB
308_2.jpg
308_2.jpg133.62 KB
308_3.jpg
308_3.jpg152.14 KB
308_4.jpg
308_4.jpg138.54 KB
308_5.jpg
308_5.jpg150.01 KB
308_6.jpg
308_6.jpg145.17 KB
exbiologist's picture
yep, definitely a custom Mauser

There is no rhyme or reason to serial numbers on Mausers.  Usually not more than 4 or 5 digits, and there was 100 million of them produced in numerous variations and a hundred manufacturers.  The rifle was likely built before world war two, unless that's a commericial variant(like an FN),which I doubt, as those usually have more normal serial numbers.

The sporterizing must have been done after the 50s(because of the chambering), and more likely the 60s given the stock style.

groovy mike's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I agree

I agree with the other posters.  To get more info on your rifles you will have to get the stocks and maybe the scope mounts off to see what is underneath.  On the side of the receiver or top of it you wuill find more stamps.

JimmyB's picture
Thanks for all the info

Thanks for all the info guys!!

Topgun 30-06's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
That is definitely a

That is definitely a sporterized 30-06 Army Springfield, probably an 03A3, so your Granddad obviously didn't buy it new.  The serial number is probably the 7 digits you are seeing and should be easily visible if you can remove that front scope mount.   If you look closely there is probably also an insignia that looks like flames with several numbers below it on the top of the barrel near the crown, unless the barrel was shortened or they were polished off.  Just do a search for the Springfield on your computer and you will have enough information to keep you busy for a long time.  There were several manufacturers, including Remington and Smith-Corona Typewriter back during the WWII, but the first ones were made in 1903 and were actually used in WWI on through WWII along with the Garand in the latter.   Usually you can find who made it by matching the serial number with information in some of what you will be reading in your search.  I hope it shoots as well as the one my Dad rebuilt for me back in 1973, as I've taken over 50 deer and elk with it over the years and it's one heck of a shooter!  As to worth, it's whatever you can get out of it, but that's about it as it isn't an antique or anything close since it has been sporterized.

WesternHunter's picture
custom guns

Yup those are definitly custom or sporterized rifles made from new barrels put on old '03 Springfield action and an old (licensed maybe) Mauser action.  There are a couple possibilities - Could be the 774 action is from a maker of licensed Mauser actions in post-war Czechosolakia maybe or it could be an action from a late war civilian home guard Mauser. But, due to Germany's differing view of civilian gun ownership, typically the civilian German home guard rifles were single shot rifles. Mauser '98 actions have been made (both licensed and illegal clones) all over the world. 

No, Winchester didn't use any Mauser '98 actions as far as I know, they used their own home grown action on the original M70 that is considered a Mauser "type" action and based on the Mauser action without the magazine cut-off latch.  I wouldn't get rid of them if I owned them and they functioned properly.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Trail Pics - Finally (updated...again)redrider2010/10/2006 16:20 pm
Scouting for Javelinaprhunter712/12/2013 22:30 pm
Pics???GooseHunter Jr409/07/2010 21:31 pm
Scouting triphawkeye2701508/26/2011 16:15 pm
Pics of buck shedding from start to finishredrider409/16/2008 07:42 am