11 replies [Last post]
pumaman's picture
Help with colorado unit 18, 28, 37, 371 deer

I have a 2nd season deer tag for this unit. I've never hunted this area and did not have time to scout this summer. Any help on general areas to check out would be appreciated.

Help with colorado unit 18, 28, 37, 371 deer

I've hunted this area quite a bit, so feel free to drop me a line anytime for this area.

Best places I found up that way will depend on how much walking you want to do.
Just past Green Mtn Res if you turn left on road 10 (I believe), it will take you up towards williams peak.
You will pass through private land until you reach the sign for public land. Just as you pass the cattle guard you can go right or straight.
To the right will eventually dead end, but there is good hunting up that way with lots of hills and draws. I've gotten a couple of nice bucks and I have seen some very heavy beams come out of there. Its a lot of walking since it gets hit pretty hard.
going straight will take you up several roads and circle back... lots of property to hunt and lots of hiking if you want it.
My wife got her first deer, a really nice 4x4 with a 26" spread a few years back. I've dropped a few clean 4x4's up in there as well as a few fork horns.
Going straight up the road you will be able to go over the mtn, carefully!!!!!
Some good hunting on that side as well... its the eagles nest wilderness area. LOTS of walking, but some nice elk and deer in there.

feel free to drop me a line if you have specific question.

Mike

Aaron77's picture
3rd season mulies

Hi MGoodman

I'm heading up to these units 3rd season. I've got a buck and doe tag. I was wondering, is road 10 which you mentioned on the North (toward Kremmling) or South (toward Silverthorne) side of Green Mountain Reservoir? I haven't found it on maps yet, will keep looking. Also, have you encountered any elk up there? I'm considering getting and OTC bull tag. Thanks for any tips or directions you can forward!

Aaron

Longmont

SGM
SGM's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Arron77, County highway 10

Arron77, County highway 10 and County road 10 are both up more towards Kremmiling. They are about 2 - 3 mile north of  Heeney road just north of Green Mountain Res. If you do a Google search for Kremmling just pan down HWY 9 about 10 mile and you will see them.

SGM
SGM's picture
Arron77, Lots of good hunting

Arron77, Lots of good hunting in that area to the west behind Green Mountain and to the east. Suggest getting back a bit and away from the crowds as several folks like the area. Look for those small over looked draws and valley's. Another pretty good deer area is Kinney Creek Area off US 40 towards Granby. It is just west of CO HWY 125. You have a huge area so pick a spot and hunt it. Not enough days to try and cover all that land.  

WesternHunter's picture
Guys!!!

Thanks a lot guys!!!  Really!!!  I don't know why I spend so much time, money, gas and wear on my boots scouting areas when when you guys can just throw out specifics for free to anyone too lazy to do their own homework!!!

Gee guys I hate to be such a tighwad here, but do you have to be so specific about specific areas on a public forum?????  If you need to spill this type of information, a pm would be more appropriate.  I don't hunt one of those areas anymore and probably won't ever again now that everybody and their brother can now read all about this online without doing any scouting of their own.  I'm sure my friends who hunt this area annually will be real pleased, as will several other hunters who've spent lots of time and effort finding a good place to hunt only to have specifics thrown out there for free because some people find it appropriate to get handouts without doing any of their own homework.  I'm not above helping out a fellow hunter, that's what this forum is for, but everyone has got to pay their dues to some degree when it comes to finding a place to hunt. 

If you can make time to hunt then you surely can take time to do some of your own homework and your own scout.  How would you reply to someone if they came up to you and said hey man I want to spend some money, but don't have any time to earn my own, can I spend some of yours?  I mean just listen to how the OP wrote the question.  Come on man!!

Like I said I'm not above helping anyone out, and there is nothing wrong with asking for advice, but some stuff should just be replied to via pm.  This forum is supposed to be give and take.  The OP Pumaman asked this question 2 years ago and has only contributed two posts here in on biggamehunt in two years.  What kind of contribution to this forum is that? Ask a question, take advice, then come back once in while to share some stuff - That's how it's supposed to work.  That's all I'm saying.  Huh?

SGM, I'm not meaning to jump all over your case or rip you a new one.  I give you plenty of credit and wish you good cheer for making the effort to help someone out.  In the future just make sure you do it in a manner that doesn't ruin it for other people who have already been hunting those areas. 

SGM
SGM's picture
Western Hunter,  I somewhat

Western Hunter,  I somewhat see your point  but it is not like anyone said go to this specific area, gave GPS location or said hunt this ridge etc. Mentioning an area like Kinney Creek or check out the area west of Green Mountain is hardly saying go here and fill a tag and certainly did not ruin anything for anyone. Those are some very large areas with allot of ground to cover. I do agree people, myself included, have put in allot of  time and hard work to find that area they like to hunt. However, odds are they heard of the area they hunt from someone else over the years, then did the leg work to find their hot spot. With well over 200,000 hunters last year in Colorado I really doubt there are any secret public land spots left in our fine state unless you have horses and can get way back into a wilderness area.      

WesternHunter's picture
GMUs

Fine. There's just a certain ettiquite and discretion that most hunters that I know follow, and for good reason.  Naming names should just be handled via private message for a response.   That's all I'm saying.

Aaron77's picture
concerns

Hi WesternHunter

I live near Longmont. Spent 3 days, numerous hours and $$ scouting 28 and 37 this summer and another afternoon back in May. Kelly Creek, Mule Creek BLM, Cottonwood Pass, BLM near Tabernash, Ute Pass area, Junction Butte near Kremmling, Big Meadows, Keyser Creek area, Sheep Mountain, CR 50 South of Byers Canyon, HotSulphur Springs SWA, West Side of Williams Fork Mtns are all places I traveled to. Trying to get the lay of the land, as I haven't been out in years, but my boys are getting old enought to motivate me to get back in. Just couldn't place one road that MGoodman had mentioned and wanted to figure out where it was after consulting the Arapahoe National Forest map and 2 BLM maps that I drove to Kremmling at the BLM office to purchase while up there , and also consulted Google Earth with no luck. Have sent a couple pm's with no replies. Not trying to bogart someone's spot, just looking for a road I couldn't find and any general advice.

WesternHunter's picture
pm

Aaron, funny thing about pm's on this site latley is that when a user logs in you don't automatically get the alert that you have a private message waiting.  I'll check my messages. 

Besides I don't think Mgoodman has been on this site in a couple years. And he gave some backwards advice while getting some of these location wrong as to where they actually are. His advice really speaks to the point that the information on these forums is free, and with some people you generally you get what you pay for.  I just sent you a pm. 

codyac21's picture
Pumaman,  Please send me a PM

Pumaman, 

Please send me a PM if you would like some info on the area that I know within these units.  I saw 7 bucks just last weekend so I think I may have a drainage that you should check out.  

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Colorado Unit #2Trentlee07310/13/2005 09:57 am
colorado unit 40Marklaroif2703/31/2012 11:24 am
Anyone hunted unit 46 in Colorado?chevynbowtech001/13/2010 20:26 pm
Colorado Unit 69 Mule DeerTexasj29008/02/2011 14:09 pm
Colorado Unit 69 Mule Deer Texasj29008/01/2011 14:23 pm