5 replies [Last post]
expatriate's picture
Guess the Teleprompter Won't Run on 220

Behold, the greatest orator of our age:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/03/g20-barack-obama-nick-robins...

cowgal's picture

Ha ha! That is hilarious! Laugh

Here is the actual video on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojeTr9P7ax4

Obama looks tired. I'm guessing jetlag has been tough on him.

How refreshing to have someone who thinks of his words carefully when the words themselves can have disasterous affects.

Thank you Cowgal, I' was looking all over for a video.

The style the answer was deliverd in was very similar to the way he answered the questions in his second press conference recently in the US. Well thought out and with paragraph long answers.

He certainly has a comand of the subject and gives direct answers.

Expat shouldn't you be linking to Drudge? Surely you don't read the Gardian regularly, they are pretty far left of the NYT. Maybe I'll start linking to articles in teh GArdian I think you'd like.

cowgal's picture

I don't know what you're reading or where you're getting your info, but Obama did not do so well at this summit. He did a lot of bumbling. Sure he's well liked personally, but that does not mean that Europe likes his economic plans. He couldn't sell additional stimulus plans, now could he?

Europe sees Obama like a rock star, not as a major political leader, so they're willing to forgive all his shortcomings.

"he, along with the other world leaders present, did get a more forceful and detailed blueprint for a global recovery than a similar gathering 86 years ago, when an earlier generation failed to take collective action to counter the Great Depression. “By being willing to accommodate European leaders on the need for better regulation of financial markets and emerging market leaders on their desire to have less protectionism,” said Eswar S. Prasad, a former China division chief at the International Monetary Fund, Mr. Obama “has certainly guided the G-20 leaders to a positive outcome.”

“All in all, not a bad day’s work,” Mr. Prasad added.

Mr. Obama’s own assessment? “Well, I think I did O.K.,"
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/03/world/europe/03assess.html

Here's the whole speach in Strasbourg, notice the note cards.
http://thepoliticalcarnival.blogspot.com/2009/04/president-obamas-full-t...

I think half the reason he's so popular here and abroad isn't only because he's a great speaker with great ideas but just because of who he followed. I could go out and read a cookie recipe and I'd probably get cheered.

I mean listen to the applause in Strasbourg. I'm paraphrasing, he said something like, "America does not torture" and everyone goes wild clapping and hooting and hollering. I mean good grief that's a pretty low bar to clear.

What next? We promise not to bomb little babies,,, yaaaaaay hurah. No more kidnaping parents on their way to work, Yahoo!

Sure didn't hear of any instances of bumbling? Strange word choice. Perhaps one of your sources hates America. What are your sources? You sure you aren't following the cut of Michelle's dress a little too closely? That stuff isn't news.

expatriate's picture

Civet, a guy that's qualified to lead the most powerful nation in the world (well, used to be) ought to be able to put complete sentences together without having to read it off a teleprompter. High school kids do it all the time in debate competitions, and presidents have done so for over two hundred years.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Just got back from 1 week hunting guess what I got.NS Buck1312/09/2002 06:11 am
First Elk!nevadahntr510/13/2005 17:43 pm
Cousin's MooseCa_Vermonster912/05/2011 14:34 pm
Back from Montana / Wyoming vacationtoddpipkin607/16/2006 19:06 pm
16guage or 20guage?rramv101512/15/2008 16:03 pm