33 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined: 03/22/2006
Posts: 87
grizzly

Would the 300 wsm be enough power to hunt grizzly

WesternHunter's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/05/2006
Posts: 2368
grizzly

Never hunted the big brown bear. But, from the ballistics on the 300 WSM it seems that it has enough energy and throws the same heavy bullets that the .30-06 and .300 Win Mag throw. 180 grain bullet traveling at 3095 ft/sec is real great ballistics, also a 200 grain bullet going at 2822 ft/sec is pretty serious. Go with 180grain or 200 grain bullets.

I would imagine you can take a grizzly with my .270 Win, but from what I hear, the experts would strongly suggest more gun.

Critter's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Location: Western Colorado
Joined: 03/26/2009
Posts: 4065
grizzly

If you are planning a grizzly hunt then I would suggest that you talk to your guide. I took a brown bear 30 years ago using a 30-06 and a 220 grain bullet but a lot of the guides now days require a 338 caliber minimum for the bears. When I went I asked the guide what to bring and he told me if I could shoot the 30-06 and put the bullets where they needed to be then to bring it and forget about the big magnums but now days I guess that the guides want a bigger hole in the bear just in case they need to go find him.

WesternHunter's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/05/2006
Posts: 2368
grizzly

For as long as I could remember hearing, a .30-06 was the minimum any good guide would recommend for grizzlys. But you're right these days about guides wanting clients to bring a bigger gun, at least from what I hear. In any case I guess you can never really have too much gun when going after those beasts.

Don Fischer's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Antelope, Ore
Joined: 03/24/2005
Posts: 3187
grizzly

It is intresting that guides want more gun these days. Used to be they wanted a gun you could shoot well and if that happened to be a 30-06, so be it.

Offline
Location: Montana
Joined: 10/24/2006
Posts: 449
grizzly
Don Fischer wrote:
It is intresting that guides want more gun these days. Used to be they wanted a gun you could shoot well and if that happened to be a 30-06, so be it.

Most people dont shoot as well as they used to..

ADKBEAR's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Central NY
Joined: 09/16/2003
Posts: 823
grizzly
Romey wrote:
Don Fischer wrote:
It is intresting that guides want more gun these days. Used to be they wanted a gun you could shoot well and if that happened to be a 30-06, so be it.

Most people dont shoot as well as they used to..

Or maybe, most people don't shoot as well as they think they do?

WesternHunter's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/05/2006
Posts: 2368
grizzly

I think it's interesting what Critter said about a guide telling a client to bring a .30-06 only if he can place the bullet exactly where it needs to go.

My view is that all hunters (especially guides) should know that every shot needs to be placed exactly where you need to put it regardless of caliber. A miss with a .458 Win Mag is still a miss.

Seems to me that for grizzly bear any .308" diameter bullet weighing at least 180 grains and traveling at or above 2800 ft/sec should do it's part if you do your part.

ADKBEAR's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Central NY
Joined: 09/16/2003
Posts: 823
grizzly
WesternHunter wrote:
I think it's interesting what Critter said about a guide telling a client to bring a .30-06 only if he can place the bullet exactly where it needs to go.

My view is that all hunters (especially guides) should know that every shot needs to be placed exactly where you need to put it regardless of caliber. A miss with a .458 Win Mag is still a miss.

Seems to me that for grizzly bear any .308" diameter bullet weighing at least 180 grains and traveling at or above 2800 ft/sec should do it's part if you do your part.

Indeed, once again it all comes down to shot pacement

Critter's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Location: Western Colorado
Joined: 03/26/2009
Posts: 4065
grizzly

What the guide was telling me about placing the shot where it needed to be was about the hunters that go out and buy a large caliber of rifle and then get gun shy when they go and shoot it. I have seen a 250 pound man not able to handle the recoil of a 300 Weatherby. It hurt him a couple of times and afterward he refused to shoot the rifle. He wouldn't listen that it was his shooting style and not the rifle so he sold the rifle and went back to his 270. I personally believe that if you can not go out and spend the time shooting a magnum rifle round and get used to it then don't use it.
It is funny about developing a flinch, I was shooting a friends 22-250 once and for some reason every time that I shot it I would flinch but if I shot mine everything was ok. I never did find out why his caused a problem with me.

Offline
Location: Montana
Joined: 10/24/2006
Posts: 449
grizzly
ADKBEAR wrote:
Romey wrote:
Don Fischer wrote:
It is intresting that guides want more gun these days. Used to be they wanted a gun you could shoot well and if that happened to be a 30-06, so be it.

Most people dont shoot as well as they used to..

Or maybe, most people don't shoot as well as they think they do?

I didnt want to say it but yes.

Alot of times a flinch due to recoil can be caused by the way the stock is built. Most folks are used to off the rack stocks but if you ever get a chance have one built to your body youll be surprised how much more recoil you can handle and handle well. There is much more to fitting a rifle then the length of pull. They do it in shotgunning all the time yet many people over look having a rifle done sometimes same people. Bending it left ,right, drop, pitch ect all will make a difference on how one shoots and its natural point of aim.
Along with guiding I also teach firearms shooting , I see a lot of bad habits formed that I believe wouldn't if a rifle was properly fit.
Mostly you get out of shooting what you put into it. The guy who doesnt shoot but to rezero and then goes hunting is not going to be near the shot then the guy who shoots his reloads off the bench all the time and they wount be near the shot of those who stay off the bench and practice position shooting all the time. Add on field practices or lack there of,i.e. judging distance which is a COMMON topic among outfitters and guides.
Anyway I went off topic a little. For guides much of the caliber choice of clients has to do with foul up factor.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
SCI NEW WORLD RECORD GRIZZLY FOR CANADAbear guide002/13/2009 18:17 pm
Colorado Grizzly Bearssabbott7007/13/2013 14:34 pm
B.C. Grizzly Outfitter recommendationszr2paul008/19/2009 15:48 pm
Grizzly Bear HuntMookie1901/23/2008 22:46 pm
Grizzly attackTndeerhunter507/26/2011 15:20 pm