9 replies [Last post]
Great secret place for Elk Archery hunters unit 66/69

Here is a great place for archery elk hunting. Check out the attached map. The blue area is all state land. The map came from the IDFG website. At the blue part that touches Long Valley road there's a corral. IT IS ON STATE LAND! This is your access point. Don't let the people camping (on private land) to the right of the corral or the private property owner to the left try to bluff you out of hunting there. These guys have been doing this to people for years and try to treat it as there own property. I don't think it is right, so that's why i'm posting this. I absolutely hate it when people harass folks that are following the laws and just want to harvest some meat! NOT ANTLERS!! BTW This is in Idaho just east of Idaho Falls.

PreviewAttachmentSize
HUNT_ifwis310135299636515349.jpg
HUNT_ifwis310135299636515349.jpg140.6 KB
Bull Buster's picture

unfortunately this happens more than you could beleive. I have hunted the same area for 14 years. At first a couple locals and an outfitter tried to b.s. me and I held my ground and then they tried to bluff me by saying they would call the game and fish. By this time I was tired of their crap and whipped out my cell phone and called them myself. There must of been prior complaints about this particular outfitter as they revoked his licence.

My good friend and long time hunting partner drew a once in a lifetime permit in Utah and had an experiance with a high profile outfitter that videos hunts and hires alot of college students to scout and spot for his clients. He spotted a huge bull one evening the next morning as he walked up the trail was blocked off by an atv and was told he couldn't go up there. As he was told "we got a hunter up there and 2 spoters. He didn't buck them but, was dissapointed. He ended up getting a very nice 370 class bull but, not the 400 incher that was later taken by the group that bullied him out of a public spot.

Oh yes, this is the exact crap I'm talking about! That's the way to do it. If anyone tries to hunt the area I posted and those guys give you crap, give IDFG a call. Or call BLM. Oh, BTW this place has plenty of elk in it. There were several 300+ class bulls harvested out of this spot last year.

exbiologist's picture

Good for you! Don't put up with that crap. I've seen it everywhere I have lived. People treating public land as if it was their own really pisses me off.

Bull Buster wrote:

My good friend and long time hunting partner drew a once in a lifetime permit in Utah and had an experiance with a high profile outfitter that videos hunts and hires alot of college students to scout and spot for his clients. He spotted a huge bull one evening the next morning as he walked up the trail was blocked off by an atv and was told he couldn't go up there. As he was told "we got a hunter up there and 2 spoters. He didn't buck them but, was dissapointed. He ended up getting a very nice 370 class bull but, not the 400 incher that was later taken by the group that bullied him out of a public spot.

I hate to hear this stuff and rumor has the same thing happened with the Spider bull that was taken last year. I think word is getting out about this sort of thing though and hopefully less hunters will tolerate it.

Bull Buster's picture

I used to love to watch those videos but, it took me a couple of them to figure out what they were doing but, when you see 8 and 9 guys in the feild picture all dressed in hunting cloths it don't take to long for 1 and 1 to make 2. I try not to judge ppls hunting styles but, I would feel a better sence of accomplishment by shooting a 300 in bull on my own than to receive a cell phone call from one of 5 spotters hunting for me saying we found a 400 incher come on over and do the gun work.

Bull Buster wrote:
I used to love to watch those videos but, it took me a couple of them to figure out what they were doing but, when you see 8 and 9 guys in the feild picture all dressed in hunting cloths it don't take to long for 1 and 1 to make 2. I try not to judge ppls hunting styles but, I would feel a better sence of accomplishment by shooting a 300 in bull on my own than to receive a cell phone call from one of 5 spotters hunting for me saying we found a 400 incher come on over and do the gun work.

Amen brotha!!!

The other thing we hunters have to do is not support the sponsers of these guys that bully other huters out of spots. You know that spider bull was shot on public land with a group like that so you dont use the products that are using these guys in their adds. Hit them in the pocketbooks because that is what is behind this type of behaivor.

Hi guys, very helpful thread first of all, and thanks for the info and advice. Although I am not hunting those areas, I was wondering if any of you had any input on unit 43 for deer and elk. I have taken the entire month of September off for bowhunting and have not had the opportunity to hunt as much as I wanted yet. Problem is I don't have a hunting partner that is reliable. I will go up again by myself if I have to but it just feels unsafe. I have scouted some real nice spots and have seen plenty of animals. If anyone would like to bowhunt with me or has any advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I've hunted 43 several times and it has sucked. I know guys that has hunted that area for 8 to 9 years and since 2007 it has sucked. To many wolves running around. The same guys are again this year and have hunted hard for 2 weeks with no luck. The are the lower Trinity mountain area. You should try the other side of the state. There's too many people in southwestern Idaho hunting. I've seen quite a few cows up around Idaho city though.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Colorado unit 14 archeryKswhitetail180307/30/2013 10:57 am
Idaho Unit 28 - Salmonlk5blazer2008005/23/2008 18:30 pm
Utah 25a Fishlake PlateauHOGGETTER203/12/2014 08:03 am
Archery elk CO#24shawn0915202/26/2010 08:27 am
Arizona, Unit 23, November Bull Archery Tagggpwr211/10/2009 07:49 am