14 replies [Last post]
tim
Offline
Location: north idaho
Joined: 06/11/2004
Posts: 602
Going to alaska in sept to hunt moose and sheep. What is the best way to get the horns and capes back?

I have a moose sheep combo hunt booked for sept. What is the best way to get the horns and capes back to idaho? Check them in as baggage? or have someone ship them down to my taxidermeist? if i can check in as baggage, what do i have to do to prepare them?

thanks
tim

Critter's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Location: Western Colorado
Joined: 03/26/2009
Posts: 4018
Personally I would crate them

Personally I would crate them and then ship them. If you fly with them you are going to have to protect them some way and then pray that the baggage handlers don't destroy them. I believe that on the moose you would have to split the skull then strap the two half's together and place some foam pipe insulation on the antler points and tape everything up. You would also need to contact your airline and see just what needed to be done to them.  The capes will need to be fleshed salted and frozen I believe.

What I would do while in the planning stage is to talk to a few taxidermist and see what they suggest.

North of 67's picture
Offline
Location: Gakona Alaska
Joined: 03/27/2012
Posts: 12
Getting that Rack home

tim wrote:
I have a moose sheep combo hunt booked for sept. What is the best way to get the horns and capes back to idaho? Check them in as baggage? or have someone ship them down to my taxidermeist? if i can check in as baggage, what do i have to do to prepare them? thanks tim

 

 

Jim:

 

Many of my clients face the same situation and we have a number of way to get your capes and racks down to the lower 48 ranging from secure and costly to less secure and much less pricy. Part of my hunt planning service covers this. One of the bigest things to consider is how are you going to crate, wrap and protect the tips for the trip south?

 

We hunt out of Kotzebue Alaska which is the home to the Western Arctic Caribou Herd-WACH and is the largest in the country standing at almost 400,000 animals. Kotzebue like many hubs does not have the basic crating gear that you will need and we suggest that our clients pre ship waxed meat boxes and larger packing boxes up to Kotz about 3 weeks prior to their hunt dates. All 3 of our flight services offer short term storrage for clients so all of your needs will be met by planning ahead.

 

Putting togeather this type of hunt is time consuming and it is cridical that you map it out ahead of time. Shoot me a email at my web site www.northwestalaska.net and I can point you in the right direction or just offer some free advice.

 

Good luck with the hunt!

 

Walt

Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals

Trip Planning, Float Hunts and Drop Camps

Unit 23-Kotzebue Alaska

907-259-4290

PreviewAttachmentSize
CIMG5132.JPG
CIMG5132.JPG2.83 MB
6178348-1.jpg
6178348-1.jpg84.22 KB
Don Fischer's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Antelope, Ore
Joined: 03/24/2005
Posts: 3183
shipping

North of 67 wrote:

tim wrote:
I have a moose sheep combo hunt booked for sept. What is the best way to get the horns and capes back to idaho? Check them in as baggage? or have someone ship them down to my taxidermeist? if i can check in as baggage, what do i have to do to prepare them? thanks tim

 

 

Jim:

 

Many of my clients face the same situation and we have a number of way to get your capes and racks down to the lower 48 ranging from secure and costly to less secure and much less pricy. Part of my hunt planning service covers this. One of the bigest things to consider is how are you going to crate, wrap and protect the tips for the trip south?

 

We hunt out of Kotzebue Alaska which is the home to the Western Arctic Caribou Herd-WACH and is the largest in the country standing at almost 400,000 animals. Kotzebue like many hubs does not have the basic crating gear that you will need and we suggest that our clients pre ship waxed meat boxes and larger packing boxes up to Kotz about 3 weeks prior to their hunt dates. All 3 of our flight services offer short term storrage for clients so all of your needs will be met by planning ahead.

 

Putting togeather this type of hunt is time consuming and it is cridical that you map it out ahead of time. Shoot me a email at my web site www.northwestalaska.net and I can point you in the right direction or just offer some free advice.

 

Good luck with the hunt!

 

Walt

Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals

Trip Planning, Float Hunts and Drop Camps

Unit 23-Kotzebue Alaska

907-259-4290

 

I would listen to what the man is saying. Oerhaps your own outfitter will ship for you? My brother used to fish AQlaskaq every year and the outfitter took care of shipping home. Hunting mose and shep in Alaska is not about getting swome meat for the winter. As you probably know, the cost for everything is pretty high. I would not look for the cheapest way but rather the best most secure way. The cost of those hunt's if far to much to waste on an item like shipping. How you getting the meat home?

tim
Offline
Location: north idaho
Joined: 06/11/2004
Posts: 602
I am thinking on the moose to

I am thinking on the moose to split the skull in half and place the 2 halves together lenght wise with some padding inbetween the 2 antlers. Basically like stacking dishes. I would take some pipe inulation and wrap around the antlers and duct tape them together place in a big plastic bag and check them in to the airlines like luggage. the capes can go in a duffel bag. Sound good?

Critter's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Location: Western Colorado
Joined: 03/26/2009
Posts: 4018
That would work for me but

That would work for me but one thing that I would do is check with the airline that you are planning on using and see what they require.  Also check on the airline to see if there are any reports of damaged rifle cases and other things that just might happen by a baggage handler that doesn't like hunters. 

tim
Offline
Location: north idaho
Joined: 06/11/2004
Posts: 602
sounds good, i will check

sounds good, i will check into everything. as far as meat going home. That won't be happening. The meat will be going to the outfitter and the locals. Way to expensive to fly a moose home. I will bring home a sample box, likly 15 pounds. thanks for all the useful info.

Offline
Joined: 08/13/2013
Posts: 1
shipping meat and antlers/horns

Hi Tim, First Great luck with your hunt. I did a moose hunt Sept 2011 out of Fairbanks. Everything in or out was transported by float plane. The meat and antlers going out of the field went by float plane. The outfitter I used had local sources which he recommended and I used them. The meat went directly to Delta Meats in Delta Junction,AK. They prep and shipped the meat to Phoenix,AZ and I drove there to pick it up. 850 pounds of moose meat lasted until this past winter 2012/2013 and was fantastic. The cape was cleaned and salted at spike camp. The antlers and cape were transported via float plane to Fairbanks. A local taxidermist built a shipping crate for the antlers. He suggested cutting the rack in half to reduce costs. I had a 65 inch trophy and did not want it cut. The local taxidermist resalted the cape and shipped both to Reno, NV. The trophy mount is absolutely awesome. The money part is part of the planning and it did cost a few dollars. I expected the same first class meat that I had eaten after field dressing my moose and got it! I was very, very lucky to shoot an awesome moose and can now share it with my friends.

tim
Offline
Location: north idaho
Joined: 06/11/2004
Posts: 602
terry overly and amber lee of

terry overly and amber lee of pioneer outfitters ripped me off. My wife and I showed up to terry's lodge and the outfitter, guides and horses where not there. after waiting for 6 days we flew out. They finally showed up 3 days later with lots of excuses. Pioneer outfitters refuses to give a refund, they want us to buy more licenses, tags, airfare, charter airfare to come back next year. Buyers beware, they have lied to me multiple times. very bad outfit.

Nothing like watching your wife crying in the plane, when the trip of a lifetime goes bad. IF you hunt with pioneer outfitters, beware.

Critter's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Location: Western Colorado
Joined: 03/26/2009
Posts: 4018
It is too bad that you had

It is too bad that you had those problems on a hunt that is usually a once in a lifetime type.  I know when I did mine last year I wondered in the back of my mind if everything was going to go OK all the way up until I met my outfitter at his location.  The sadder thing is that even if you check references you are still not going to be 100% sure since they don't give you any of the bad ones. 

BikerRN's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Joined: 05/23/2011
Posts: 701
Sorry

tim wrote:
terry overly and amber lee of pioneer outfitters ripped me off. My wife and I showed up to terry's lodge and the outfitter, guides and horses where not there. after waiting for 6 days we flew out. They finally showed up 3 days later with lots of excuses. Pioneer outfitters refuses to give a refund, they want us to buy more licenses, tags, airfare, charter airfare to come back next year. Buyers beware, they have lied to me multiple times. very bad outfit. Nothing like watching your wife crying in the plane, when the trip of a lifetime goes bad. IF you hunt with pioneer outfitters, beware.

 

You and your wife have my condolences sir.

I'm in the planning stages of a moose hunt to Newfoundland with my hunting partner, actually, already booked and reserved. Having heard stories like yours before prompted me to use an intermediary. Cabela's has Outfitters they book with and it helps to keep what happened to you from happening. I hope you are able to learn from this and that you get the opportunity to go again.

I'm looking at hunting Alaska for deer in the future, for now, and maybe black bear. I hope what happened to you isn't something I have to endure. Lots of reading, research, and phone conversations with folks helps to set one on the right track. I'm in hopes that you can get the opportunity to re-do this hunt in the future. If you're not already a Safari Club member I'd encourage you to join. They offer a service where one can get reports on various Outfitters, the good and the bad, and even give you contact info of past hunters. This helps the sort out the wheat from the chaff.

 

Biker

Related Forum Threads You Might Like