5 replies [Last post]
GMU 654 Mashel unit

Has anyone out there hunted this gmu for elk before? I am specifically looking for anyone who has hunted this area during the archery season. I'm looking to go start scouting it in a few weeks, and was hoping for a little bit of a head start. looking at it in my delorme's map book it seems to have a lot of access roads all over, and i'm guessing that a fair number of them will be gated off. Thanks.

GMU 654 Mashel unit

no elk in there, find some where else neener!

GMU 654 Mashel unit

I myself have never hunted it but I live right next to the area and have seen elk in there, I know a couple guys who have pulled one out every year. Some were cows but elk none the less, You can get through some of the gates by purchasing a hancock permit-for the eatonville only is $150, but also you can hunt scott turner road on which you could go in just out of eatonville and there are a lot of roads some have gates some dont but you end up just out of ashford. During archery season you shouldnt have much company but during modern or muzzleloader I wouldnt waste my time the clear cuts all look like pumpkin patches, I would pick up a good map, I bought one at the sportsmans show and love it I'll try to remember to grab the guys name and number and post then.

GMU 654 Mashel unit

thanks csumerall. I do plan on going out there during archery season. So is it safe to say that most of the land in that area is logging? I was also looking at entering the gmu from the eastern boundary, near the park. I was thinking of the mowich, rushing, and puyallup river drainages. Looks promising on a map, but I have put boots on the ground yet.

GMU 654 Mashel unit

a lot of the areas your probably looking at on the map are in the Hancock land and you wont be able to access them unless you buy a permit for the area, unless your planning on trespassing, also you cant hunt elk inside the tree farm unless you get one of the seven tags given out by Hancock

GMU 654 Mashel unit

Thanks buf, I already mentioned the fact that you have to buy the hancock permit. And yes you would have to get drawn for the tag, but you can hunt and you can put in for it and the eatonville drawing is totally seperate from the kapowison tree farm drawing. sultan, yes there alot of clear cuts and replanted land, there are also a lot of clear cuts that were made to log with helocopters so they are basically land locked clear cuts you would have to work to get to them but they are there. You may want to come down on a weekend and take a look, the stormking and south rainier are also good units as well, there is one area, where the bridge washed out 3 years ago and hasnt been rebuilt but there are alot of animals in there especially bear and elk.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
New Mexico Unit Number 17rookie hunter406/27/2005 21:07 pm
Unit 47 coloradoJeremyzx900r101/22/2013 08:32 am
Silver Lake UnitAllensGirl83510/12/2009 20:36 pm
NEW MEXICO Unit 15BArchery1210/15/2002 21:32 pm
Unit 66 or unit 67 muzzleloaderhunterkurt001/05/2011 08:55 am