2 replies [Last post]
JakeCake27's picture
GMU 444 Elk 4th Rifle Rookie

Well, soon to be headed out next week for my 3rd ever big game hunt. Hunted for 18 hard days during archery and spotted a single elk but no shot, chased by a moose, almost walked on by big bull moose and if I would have had a deer tag could have easily nabbed a nice buck more than a few times. Last year I hunted 2nd rifle OTC for elk on a whim and I have been hooked ever since- even though I haven’t had an opportunity to take an Elk quite yet. This 4th season leftover for GMU 444 is my last hope this year. I had friend who knew the area well but unfortunately may be ducking out due to last minute work obligations. I have only been to the area once. I sent a few days over camped North of Basalt Mt.- lots of Muley’s but alas the elk were few and far between. I was planning on hunting near the woods lake area and hoping for snow but the forecast says there will be none coming. I have learned a lot from the people on this forum over the past two years as a novice hunter and it is with an empty freezer that I ask again for the knowledgeable hunters out there for advice and wisdom to increase my chances of success. If there are any veterans out there know your wisdom will be bestowed on a fellow Marine vet ;) (God knows at this point I need all the help I can get!) Thanks again!

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Hunt low on the fringes of

Hunt low on the fringes of private property.  Basalt Mountain is a good start.  It sounds like you were hunting on Red Table Mountain before and even there they elk go down even during the archery hunt. 

If your friend if familiar with the unit I would pick his brain until there wasn't anything left about the unit.

JakeCake27's picture
Thanks Critter! Yup, I spent

Thanks Critter! Yup, I spent some archery days on Basalt Mt and although I didn't see the elk, the Mule deer where low- priavte property low. I will head the advice to hunt the fringes of those fingers betweent private land and forest. I will keep picking his brain as well! Thanks again!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Colorado leftover license listsexbiologist607/09/2011 11:26 am
Wyoming official leftover listexbiologist006/30/2010 11:05 am
TWRA ELK RESTORATION PROJECTLynn003/01/2007 11:50 am
The Elk Hunt of a Lifetime - Success!Jeter1110/23/2009 09:36 am
Elk Habitat StudyBlacktail Slayer001/11/2014 17:43 pm