4 replies [Last post]
new_elkchaser's picture
GMU 444 Early Archery Elk Hunt

Well, here we go again! It's time to start planning out my first archery elk hunt. I have decided on GMU 444 due to the fact that i had my first elk hunt there last year fourth season and got to know the area a little bit. I did not come home with an elk but i seen some and had a great time in the process. I have gone over all the rankings and statistics and have settled on 444, even though it does not rank the greatest, simply due to the fact of being somewhat familiar now with the area. I was there during mid november last year and did not experience too much hunting pressure.

What i am wondering is if there is alot of pressure from hunters or other recreationalists there on top of Basalt Mountain in the early archery season? I am planning on hicking back in more towards the eastern side and spending some time back up in there for about 2-3 days at a time if possible.

Thanks!

hunter25's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
It varies from year to year

It varies from year to year but you should see less people hunting than you did in the fourth season. The fourth season does not get nearly as much pressure due to the fact that there are only 10 deer tags issued then. You will see other hunters parked in some of the more popular spots but most of them are only morning or afternnon hunters. Just remember that muzzle loader season starts in the middle of archery and will put a bunch more guys out there.

As far as other recreationists you will see a lot of them that time of year but 99% will just be using the roads for walking, horeseback riding, or on bikes. Most of them take the road going up to the right but some go the other way as well. You will rarely see anyone away from the road though.

Even at that time of year you will still have quite a few elk down in the oak brush in the mornings. I think you mentioneed seeing them down by the reservoir last year and you still might again in the archery season.

Just so you know Cattle creek that runs through the bottom on the lower road that runs of to the left from the parking area is full of brook trout. they're small but you can get a limit of ten in about an hour for dinner if you want something else to do. The higher up the creek you go the better it gets.

Good luck with your plans and your hunt, I hope it works out well for you.

new_elkchaser's picture
Thanks for the info!

I wish i would have read these posts sooner cause i may have packed my fishing gear as well! For whatever reason i didn't see these posts before? This was my wife and I's first archery elk hunting trip together and it ended up being a great experience even though we didn't fill our tags. We seen elk and had multiple spike bulls within bow range a  number of times but did not get close enough to a cow or legal bull to harvest one. My wife came very close to getting a legal 4x4 but it turned a few steps before stepping into her shooting opening and dissappeared into the dark timber down the side of the mountain. Got some good video footage of the hunt and the wife actually cant wait to do it again! We plan on doing it again next year but pushing back a little further now that we know the territory a little better. Thanks again for the info and hope your hunts went well!

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I usually hunt 444 for

I usually hunt 444 for archery deer and elk and have never had a problem finding the elk but they do hang off of the top.  I just don't like where they are hanging out at as far as having to pack them out of the area.  Now deer I have seen them from the top of the hill to the bottom, it all depends on where they feel like hanging out at. 

new_elkchaser's picture
Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info, sorry i didn't write back sooner. Time just flew by this year but we ended up having  great hunt even though we didn't fill the tags.  As far as finding the elk, we found some and like you said it would not have been an easy pack out had we got one. Next year will hopefully be the year we fill a tag!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
High altitude early season rifleRemington7422505/02/2013 12:42 pm
Early or Late?westofhere009/08/2006 10:39 am
Early archery elk in Ochoco unitbowhunter4life1108/26/2009 23:33 pm
Best Time To Archery Hunt Elk??kyelkslayer307/19/2007 07:46 am
Elk huntersnevadahntr2109/29/2005 20:10 pm