5 replies [Last post]
GMU 42, 421

We have some Cow elk and Deer tags for 3rd season. How are things looking? Any advice on where to find a couple cows?

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Can't give you any advice on

Can't give you any advice on those units, but wanted to just say good luck!!! Hope for a successful report!!

gjk5's picture
I have an either sex in 42

I have an either sex in 42 for 3rd, where are you planning on going?

I am going up to the NE side of the Mesa past Vega, some friends were up last weekend and said they were still a little high, some other friends going up this weekend and they are anticipating them much lower with the weather we've had the last few days.  They will also let me know what they see.

Good luck!

Rifle

gjk5 wrote:

I have an either sex in 42 for 3rd, where are you planning on going?

I am going up to the NE side of the Mesa past Vega, some friends were up last weekend and said they were still a little high, some other friends going up this weekend and they are anticipating them much lower with the weather we've had the last few days.  They will also let me know what they see.

Good luck!

Well we are not exactly sure yet where we will be. We'll get a couple days to scout so hopefully we can find the elk. I think we'll be South of Rifle a ways. Probably up at 9 or 10 thousand feet unless they have moved down some ( I hope they did).

How is the new Cabela's in Grand Junction?

gjk5's picture
Cabela's is great, nice

Cabela's is great, nice store.

I think that may be a little high for 3rd rifle but you never know really.  SW of Rifle is where I will likely be as well in general.

hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I just talked to some guys

I just talked to some guys over the weekend that got their cows in unit 421 midweek during 2nd rifle season. I can not remember if your tag is good for that unit too but I thought it might be. It might be worth a shot. I can not remember exactly where they were hunting but they said it was alright. The weather sounded pretty crazy and bi-polar though. They mentioned seeing a big bear too so it might be worth picking up a tag in case you come across one. Good luck on your hunt where ever you end up and keep us posted on how everything turns out.