4 replies [Last post]
GMU 3 and 301-NW Colorado

My father in law and I have doe and cow tags for GMU 3 and 301 in NW Colorado and have never hunted the area. I am looking for advice on where to go in those areas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if there are any land owners who are willing to allow 2 land respecting individuals to access their property to hunt it would also be appreciated.

hellomcfly's picture
Re: GMU 3 and 301-NW Colorado

you should be able to fill your doe tags with no problem if you hunt the public land. Most of the country up there is sage, so you gotta walk the sage during the middle of the day when those deer bed down. too many guys road hunt that area and miss a lot of good deer because of it. closer to craig has a lot of deer but also way more pressure.

Elk are hit and miss up there, you won't see them unless it snows enough on the high mountains such as black mountain in area 4, but that doesn't mean you won't get on any. elk is better up there in the late seasons, but i saw 30 plus last year during second season. hope this helps. Big smile what season are you going?

Thanks for the info. We are headed up the second season. Your description is what I remember the area to be like when driving that direction. Any recommendations on where to hunt? I do not like road hunting and would rather park and walk. Thoughts?

Thanks!

hellomcfly's picture

If you drive up north close to the wyoming border, almost all the land is public, some of the land has small cedar "mountains." Any of those are good such as...moffat county road 9. drive the main road and then turn off on a side road or two, most of the land is public, i've seen lots of deer up there.
Some of those areas are crowded opening weekend, but come monday morning, the crowds will let up a little bit.

those are some general spots. i'll pm you some specific spots

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. We were also thinking about the west end of area 3 by the little snake river. Thoughts?

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Moving to Colorado soonsaf8772503/20/2009 23:27 pm
My Latest MountsBull Buster2005/04/2011 08:47 am
Muzzeloader Questions(Colorado)Remington7421303/23/2010 20:22 pm
Hows the Colorado elk herds?TwoBear512/28/2010 21:32 pm
Elk & Moose in Coloradobrucearchambault403/16/2010 08:45 am