6 replies [Last post]
gmu 12,13,23,24 second season 2008 muledeer hunt in colorado

Need help! Any and all! First timer coming out. From what little I gotten together, looks like gmu13, last year had the best success rate @ 55%. Hiking in for day hunts (NOT CAMPING IN) willing to walk in, to get away from the hunting pressure. White river, sleepycat, oakcreek, miller creek, jensen , hayflats,peak, all VERY CONFUSING on where to start, how / where to get maps ect. Looking for any help & or local knowledge. Looking for a good shooter buck. email me @ :
wheatja114@aol.com

As bad as fishermen! I am asking for your "honeyhole", Just some good starting advice. I / or you can't kill them all! Brick Wall,)
If ya ever want to come to VA. & kill some nice whitetails I can hook you up, but know VERY little about big game.

As bad as fishermen! I am asking for your "honeyhole", Just some good starting advice. I / or you can't kill them all!

How about a please?

The areas you've mentioned get hit pretty good. remember, there will be archery, muzzleloader and 1st season rifle hunters to pressure the animals and push them around. SleepyCat and Yellow Jacket Pass are decent areas to consider, as well as the Meadow Creek lake area outside of Buford. Places like Hay Flats and West Miller Creek get pushed pretty hard, so I'd stay away from those areas. In unit 12, you might want to think about Bunker Basin or just west of Dunkley Pass.

You cn get maps via the US Geological Survey or from Mapsco @ 7th and Lincoln in Denver

THANK YOU, THANKS, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, lol lol lol Big smile Big smile
Should be "NOT " looking for your "honeyhole".

bitmasher's picture

Boobzilla's suggestions are good. I'll add that most of this region is pretty high up. Snow storms can hit before or during second season and most of this area will get a good covering. If that is the situation most of the areas Boobzilla mentioned will no longer be any good.

In the event of snow start working your way to lower land on the edges of the white river national forest.

Check a local sporting goods store like, Timberline Sports in Rifle sells maps in the area your going.

http://www.timberlinesports.com

boobzilla speaks the truth! He provided me with similar advice and I was up there this past weekend to do some scouting. I have a doe and cow tag for the areas referenced in this stream. Hay Flat may be difficult to reach unless you are willing to traverse the entire flat top area from New Castle. LOTS of private land and gates. I did almost hit a cow elk and badger on the road (252 Rd) within 2 minutes. In addition, I ran into 2 bow hunters who got into a couple herds of elk and missed a nice bull. Also, there are lots of deer in the area. I only saw one small buck but tons of doe. As an FYI, I ran into a guy who stated he guides in the area and all the reports he has been hearing from his buddies is that the elk are really low for some reason. Also, I tried to get up to Beaver Flat Tops via Rd. 67 and 67A. Operative word-tried. This road is passable if dry but could be a real bugger if ANY moisture. I have a 3 inch lifted jeep and made it no problem until I decided to turn around. Avoid that road if any snow/rain!

exbiologist's picture

First of all GMU 13 has 55% success because it is nearly all private land. The few pieces of public focus all the pressure and therefore skews that number.

There is public land, and few of the pieces are big enough to hold deer when pressured. Contact the USGS in Denver for maps, they have literally everything if you want them ahead of time. Otherwise pick one up at a sporting good store when you get here 3 DAYS early to carve out a hunting spot. There also a guy on this site who owns klmers.com. try that out. And if you don't have a map yet, don't even think about trying to hunt GMU13, unless you want to get busted for trespassing. BLM land is rarely marked, there are only a handful of state properties that allow access and no Forest service land.
You rattled off a list of places, all of which likely hold deer and someone tipped you off to. So decide how you prefer to hunt and which of those places match your hunting style. Do you prefer to still hunt big timber? Sneak through burns? Sit over clear cuts? Intercept deer between feeding and bedding areas? Spot and stalk in canyon country or high mountain basins? If this is your first western hunt, focus on having a good time in what you consider "mule deer country". Do you know what deer do? Do you know what mule deer eat and what that plant looks like? While this is the largest herd in the state, deer won't be crawling all over public land allowing you to select the biggest one, then make your chip shot and go home. You will see deer everywhere on private hay meadows on your way in, then practically nothing on public ground with a gun in your hand.
So select places that are at least 1/2 mile from a road. 2-3 miles is better if you want to put some distance between you and the other hunters hoping to catch a glimpse of any legal animal. Hunt whatever habitat component is in shortest supply. You will be hunting just prior to the rut, so give calling a try if you get desperate. Every conceivable tactic can work on mule deer, just figure what fits your preferred hunting style. Or do what half the other guys do, hike a couple miles on opening morning, come back to the truck and road hunt during the rest of your time in colorado.
Shame on You!
That being said, good luck and have fun. I will be out there in second season with you with buck, doe and cow tags in my pocket.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Muledeer mounts!elkkill061606/05/2011 12:46 pm
2008 Backpack Muledeer Hunt7 Mag209/29/2007 09:38 am
2008 Kansas Deer Hunt Help7 Mag109/03/2008 09:51 am
mule deertimberman105/21/2010 15:51 pm
Colorado Archery Elk Hunt!huntquest006/03/2008 22:10 pm