2 replies [Last post]
bitmasher's picture
Ex Auto Dealership Employee Disables 100 Cars

I didn't realize dealerships could install these types of system on vehicles they sold.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/hacker-bricks-cars/

Quote:
The dealership used a system called Webtech Plus as an alternative to repossessing vehicles that haven’t been paid for. Operated by Cleveland-based Pay Technologies, the system lets car dealers install a small black box under vehicle dashboards that responds to commands issued through a central website, and relayed over a wireless pager network. The dealer can disable a car’s ignition system, or trigger the horn to begin honking, as a reminder that a payment is due.
expatriate's picture
Re: Ex Auto Dealership Employee Disables 100 Cars

Yet one more reason why I won't buy GM. The commercial they're running where the OnStar operator flashes the Tahoe's lights and then disables it during a police pursuit sent chills up my spine. There's something not right about some nameless, faceless person somewhere being able to track my vehicle and disable it at their whim. The story you just posted shows the potential for someone, somewhere, to abuse that system.

WesternHunter's picture
Re: Ex Auto Dealership Employee Disables 100 Cars

Just like the National ID card I can see where a system like OnStar could be abused to control and track people. It really is scary what people will volunarily buy into for so-called safety and security, or a false sence of security. What ever happened to fending for yourself, learing how to read and use a road map, being self reliant. No I'm not trying to sound like a Gerber Knives adverstisment or anything, but I have to admit that they do make a great point about todays folks. Americans only want the illusion of thinking that they are still self-reliant when in fact most are anything but, and are all too willing to give up everything for a false sence of security. It's really truely is embarrasing. Not to mension that if some mofo steals my car I sure as hell don't want it back. God only knows what they would do to it or in it. The insurance can total it as far as I'm concern.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
This would just make too much sense...Kahuna104/02/2009 11:33 am
ELF vandalizes SUVsbitmasher710/01/2003 22:42 pm
Idiot Sightingscowgal201/27/2009 17:22 pm
Which .22 do you prefer?OZSTRIKER222310/12/2013 19:07 pm
Safer CarsTndeerhunter012/27/2010 11:23 am