2 replies [Last post]
Elk in WA GMU 336 346 Peaches ridge?

Does anyone have any info or suggestions for hunting this area? My hunting partner just bought a home up there and we're trying to get a little info. even if you know a ranger to call or?

I don't want any honey holes, just some ideas, options or some advice.

I guess GMU 340 and 342 observatory? are also nearby.

He said they were spike only for OTC tags. So, I won't be competing for the big ones.

Thank you in advance.

You will see some elk up

You will see some elk up there...wapiti, Rocky Mountain Elk. 

Get yourself up to the Pacific Crest Trail if you can... it will be the Western border (likely) for units 336, 346 and will be the high point of your unit... at least the highest likely point with trails. 

Little Naches is probably your best bet, but I have not hunted the East side in years... not since I switched to archery.  Used to rifle hunt that unit.

They stay up high until late season, then they head down into town.  There is a feed preserve below you on I-90 where they all end up running to when hunters start to push them in the cold.

You will probably see elk moving out of or into Bumping unit too.  On the West side of Bumping is a 3-point+ unit, West of where you will be is tag only so there won't be much hunting pressure pushing them over the ridge.

We hunt West of Bumping and the elk are everywhere... they just tend to run into Bumping where nobody chases them.

I will be a bit south and west of you this season... hunting the northern tip of the St Helens herd.

Be prepared for high country... steep and deep.  Similar to what you are used to in CA high country but a bit wetter probably and steeper peaks and hillsides. 

Good luck!!!

<edit>  The Naches Ranger District office phone is  (509) 653-1401 if you want to give them a call... great folks.  God bless Rangers.

Thx daddy

Wow! that is a  lot of info and very helpful. It gives me good direction and real hope. Thank you very much!

Ram1z

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Peaches RidgeSlider510/01/2005 22:43 pm
Cobller Dutch Oven StyleCritter207/09/2010 16:39 pm
Peaches Ridge A elk huntWazzu07807/30/2007 16:12 pm
Anyone ever hunted the Stampede unit 466?Watimberghost312/22/2008 12:14 pm
Book Cliffs Spike Bull -Recommendations on where to huntPilot4rc509/21/2009 22:07 pm