2 replies [Last post]
Elk hunting, 3rd. season in units 25,26

My wife and I will be hunting in units 25 & 26 for the first time this year. We plan our first scouting trip this Labor Day Week end. We like to hunt by walking in from the road and like to get away from road hunters as much as possible (hard to do these days). We use an ATV primarly to haul the meat out or to ride to a trail head and walk in when we don't use the truck. I've read some postings from several hunters on this site and the information is helpful. What we've looking for on this first scouting trip is to find a good starting point, best roads to go in on, find a place to dry camp with our small travel trailer when we hunt and just drive out some roads to see the lay of the land and look for elk signs. Any suggestions any of you might have will be appreciated.

Milton, I haven't hunted those units, but wanted to Welcome you to BGH. Big smile

Howdy -

I've been hunting units 25-26 for the last 10 years during muzzleloading season. Your best bet for 3rd rifle season is to camp on road 900 just at the base of Yamcolo reservior dam. This is considered improving camping and you must pay $5 per night, but it will be the easiest in/out in the snow. Just behind these campsites is trail 911 which is a 4-wheel drive / ATV road. This trail leads south/southwest and passes the small lakes of Wood and Rams Horn at about the 1 mile mark. The trail last for about 5 or so miles. Many hunters take their camps up this trail during archery / muzzleloading seasons but it becomes almost impassable without an ATV after 1st rifle. This trail ends at about 10,250 ft. If you then head west you will end up at the base of the Flat Top Wilderness area which has always had good harvest results.

Good luck!

Related Forum Threads You Might Like