5 replies [Last post]
elk hunt bow 2010

hi, I will be traveling throughout the Western States this summer and will be in Colorado for September Archery Season. I have been looking over Unit 231 and wonder if there is anyone out there that could give me some feedback about it, or other area? Is there anyone that is going Bow Hunting for Elk this Fall? I really love hunting the big game.

HOGGETTER's picture
elk hunt bow 2010

I dont know any thing about that unit, But archery elk hunting next season oh yea. I just dont know where until after all the drawings are over, I put in for six different states.

exbiologist's picture
elk hunt bow 2010

There were a bunch of guys talking about hunting that unit this past summer, but I don't know what happened with their hunts. Lots of guys want to hunt there because it's one of the few Flat Tops units you can hunt with an OTC tag. If you really have your heart set on bowhunting the Flat Tops, consider putting in for the draw this spring for the limited quota hunts. You might enjoy it a lot more without as many people. HOWEVER, last year it required 1 pref point for a nonres to draw the unit 12 tag (which includes parts of 23 and 24). But, you can draw the Unit 33 tag with 0 points, which also includes parts of units 23 and 24.
If you want the flexibility of an OTC tag, I wouldn't hunt 231. Units 25,26 and 34 are also in the Flat Tops and available OTC. I'd take any of those over 231. And I'd lean towards 34 because it's less pressured.
Now, if you're willing to get out of the Flat Tops, there are a couple of other regions you might want to consider instead. Namely, the Aspen area (mid 40s units), the Gunnison area (mid 50s units) and the San Juans (mid 70s units, minus 76 the trophy unit). All those regions have tons of elk, tons of public land and lots of wilderness to get in deep and really have a good time.

unit71

How are you year,are you hunting in Co.this September,i,m there for the mouth,got eny advice on this unit.Houghtaxidermy@yahoo.com

HOGGETTER's picture
elk hunt bow 2010

Ex is right about the San Juan Mnts i've hunted there the last three archery seasons and there is a ton of elk tobe had if you are willing to get of the road and do some hiking.

Long Time, No See

Hey Nice Boar! Where did you get it? Sorry it has been so long since I've been on, We have been traveling and I just started to get back on the Forums. I am busy now getting ready for Elk Hunt in September..going to be there almost the whole month in Unit 71!, How about You? Any plans, would love a chance to get together. Thanks again for the information on the Unit. Elkhunthough Hello

Related Forum Threads You Might Like