10 replies [Last post]
Elk in GMU 4 or 441 colorado

Anybody have any advise for a newbie to GMU 4 or 441. I am taking my father and father in law elk hunting this year in these sections and am looking for any helpful hints. I am also new to this area but have elk hunted in the gunnison basin for years.

Re: Elk in GMU 4 or 441 colorado
msteed9325 wrote:
Anybody have any advise for a newbie to GMU 4 or 441. I am taking my father and father in law elk hunting this year in these sections and am looking for any helpful hints. I am also new to this area but have elk hunted in the gunnison basin for years.

Makes a big difference what season you're hunting. Try northwest of Elkhead Resevoir

hawkeye270's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

What season are you hunting? If 2nd or 3rd I would look to California Park. The elk harvest in the park was big last year. I also know someone who got a really nice 6x6 two years ago on the south end of the park.

HeavyC's picture
California Park?

Would you also be so kind as to elaborate on Califas Park? New to these GMUs and need some public land direction too. lightbulb confused?

I was looking at the area around Sugar Loaf, Saddle & Bears Ears mountains, but was wondering if this Nat Forest area allowed motorized travel? I tend to try and stay away from all the road hunters and ATVers and hike as far away as I possible can. Really, any help that y'all can give about this area or the mountains further west would be most appreciated! Help!

Oh, FYI... I have 4th season elk, and even though I am a fat old man, I still like to hike it in pretty far!

Thnx,
HC Out!

GooseHunter Jr's picture

I hunt aroud Bears Ears 1st season though and I can tell you four things.

1. There is alot of Elk
2. There is alot of prssure
3. Were the elk go after the 1st few days is still a mystery to me.
4. Where we hunt you eith get around on your own two feet or the 4 of a horse, no roads only trails.

I can give you more specfic stuff just tell me what you want to know.

GHJ

hawkeye270's picture

Depending on the weather, 4th season can be a bust for public land or it can be awesome. If there has been a lot of weather in the earlier seasons the elk might have already moved through. But if the weather doesn't start till really late (God forbid -- sorry, but we are hunting 2nd season) you ought to be set.

California park is a massive open meadow a couple miles long. Timbered ridges then drop down to the park. Pockets of aspen are sprinkled throughout the timber. There are a couple roads that you can take and hunt down or you can hunt up the ridges. On a scouting trip two years ago I was driving up a logging road that leaves the park heading west. About a 1/2 mile into the timber a yearling cow bolted across the road and down the steep side to my right. I then heard some cow calling and eventually a bugle. I dropped down the ridge, crossed a creek, and started up the other side. I got to the top and the timber turned to aspen. I creaped out to the edge and elk there were 75 elk feeding in a meadow. It was sweet to watch.

hawkeye270's picture

All the land surrounding California Park is public.

As far as motor vehicle travel, it is very restricted in the routt. You aren't even allowed to drive 4-wheelers on the main forest road. Most of the trails are closed to them as well.

HeavyC's picture
Sweet!

Mucho Danke! I have been thinking about these areas since I am also taking a rookie w/ me who has an either sex tag and reasoning that his best chances of bringing 'something' home is a little better with so much public land avail compared to where I have been going. I am very exited to hear the motorized traffic is limited as my first thoughts are to stay away from where they are allowed. Don't get me wrong ATVers, I just seem to have better luck where y'all aren't allowed to bounce around! lightbulb

Well, I sure wouldn't want all the weather to only help me out, so good luck, be safe & here is to some snow in the next week or so to drive only 'half' into their movement patterns! :\:D/ ... and then hope for another storm pattern right as third season is wrapping up, so it will get them movin when I hit the hills! Thumbs up

I actually used to go deer hunting just north of Mount Welba years ago and used to run into a ton of elk, they still hangin out further west too?

No time to scout this year either so I am getting desperate to input info on new areas. MUCH THANKS! "More input"!

Thanks everyone, keep it coming!

hawkeye270's picture

As with everywhere, even though ATVing is restricted, jackasses still disobey the rules. My opening morning spot takes me 1.5 hours to hike in the dark. I was about half way down last year when 9 -- count em!!! -- 9 ATVs blew by me on the trail. It is prohibited and I was pissed. I was tempted to go get some sugar for their gas tanks but making hike a couple miles... well that would just be cruel.

hawkeye270's picture

Oh... and "Here, Here" to your toast. Good Luck.

hawkeye270's picture

What roads did you use to access Mt. Welba. I've always wondered about that area but have not been able to put the time into checking it out. Maybe this year.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Moving to Colorado soonsaf8772503/20/2009 23:27 pm
My Latest MountsBull Buster2005/04/2011 08:47 am
Muzzeloader Questions(Colorado)Remington7421303/23/2010 20:22 pm
Hows the Colorado elk herds?TwoBear512/28/2010 21:32 pm
Elk & Moose in Coloradobrucearchambault403/16/2010 08:45 am