20 replies [Last post]
Long ago,I learned not to

Long ago,I learned not to vary my diet very much from what I eat at home vs what I eat at elk camp.Rolling stomachs and rushes to the latrine when first getting up does not trump fixing good meals and eating right.
When have 3-4 in camp,each person brings a few dinners of thier choice.
Typical fair includes spaghetti,lasagna, fajitas, chili, rueben sandwiches,beef stew, stacked sour cream enchiladas, grilled elk steak, elk burgers.

Breakfeasts are usually ham ,eggs, hash browns.

On slow days or bad weather,we have done dutch oven cobblers, biscuits for biscuits & gravy, Chicken and dumplings. Sometimes we will take refrigerator biscuits and make donutts, or corn bread and differnt sweet cakes.

Ham and chilli beans with corn bread and honey are hard to beat.

If one is going to have a comfortable camp,good food ranks right up there with god beds and a warm wall tent.

This eating MRE's and dried stuff out of baggies that you just add water to don't cut it in our camps.While some one takes care of the livestock another couple can be cooking and every one chips in with dishes.

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
I remember when I was a kid

I remember when I was a kid and would hike for miles into the back country. Our meals consisted of oat meal, tea, dried soups, and what ever we could scrounge up when we got to our camping spot. If we wanted to splurge we would go down the the local army/navy store and pick up some surplus C rations which you always took a gamble on weather they were edible or not.

Now days I live in a nice camper during the hunts. Running water and a fridge to keep things cold and if we want a nice heater to keep us warm. We'll let the alarm go off and put the coffee on and then rest a while longer until it starts to perk. Then a hearty breakfast of whatever we decide to cook. Dinner is about the same unless we find some grouse or one of us happen to bag a deer or elk, then it is liver and onions.

For some reason I really don't miss those good old days, but they were fun.

buckykm1's picture
LOL

Critter wrote:
I remember when I was a kid and would hike for miles into the back country. Our meals consisted of oat meal, tea, dried soups, and what ever we could scrounge up when we got to our camping spot. If we wanted to splurge we would go down the the local army/navy store and pick up some surplus C rations which you always took a gamble on weather they were edible or not.

Now days I live in a nice camper during the hunts. Running water and a fridge to keep things cold and if we want a nice heater to keep us warm. We'll let the alarm go off and put the coffee on and then rest a while longer until it starts to perk. Then a hearty breakfast of whatever we decide to cook. Dinner is about the same unless we find some grouse or one of us happen to bag a deer or elk, then it is liver and onions.

For some reason I really don't miss those good old days, but they were fun.

Ya, we sleep in a 14' x 16' wall tent with the 14' x 10 1/2' cook shack addition on it, i wouldn't say that i rough it, i have a generater for power it runs everything in camp, a propane heater, shower and porta potti.
i use a electric turkey roaster for a oven, there is a freezer in the front of my trailer that i bring our food out in, and take our elk home in.

Kevin

PreviewAttachmentSize
DSCN0102.JPG
DSCN0102.JPG2.16 MB
Retired2hunt's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
I envy you guys and your

I envy you guys and your campers/generators/freezers, etc.... One day I may up-up-upgrade and have something more than a 4-seasons tent and a good sleeping bag. lol Who has the satelite TV as a part of their camp (hotel room doesn't count)?!?!?!

Critter's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Sat TV

Retired2hunt wrote:
Who has the satelite TV as a part of their camp (hotel room doesn't count)?!?!?!

I know of some that have the satellite tv but all we have is a radio in the camper that we will try and listen to the world series on.  Our only problem is that we never do hear what the final score is and usually just turn it off when we wake up after the game is over. 

BleuBijou's picture
Camp Menu

ROFLMAO: did he say ribeyes?

ROFLMAO:

did he say ribeyes? and bbq ribs...i wouldn't want to carry that into where i hunt!

that is like the guy that pulled into the campground i was at this summer... it was a bus, he pulls in and proceeds to hook up his 60 inch flat screen onto the outside of it where he created a patio with more furniture than my living room...WHY go camping???

Just goes to show you we all have different ways of enjoying a similar activity!

i will be enjoying my dehydrated chilimac and oatmeal on top of my mountain...thank you very much smile

buckykm1's picture
Yep

Yep, that dried up stuff is fine for young pups.
But as you get older, 60, a nice wall tent and a good meal is nice. and in my case, i spend 2 weeks in camp, so i want some comfort.

Kevin

Your menu looks

Your menu looks mouthwatering! I can't remember the last time I had camped and cooked for myself but you sure make me want to experience all that again. This is the kind of cheap activities I enjoy most during my travel adventures!

I have to agree with COMeatHunter

I have to agree with COMeatHunter, the easier the better.

Of course it depends greatly upon the setup that you have and what amount of volume and weight that you can get to where you are camping. If camping at the vehicle your resources are nearly unlimited. If you are packing in on ATVs, horses or your back, it tends to limit everything, including the food.

In our camps we need to limit the space and weight. Over the years we have found that pre-cooking dinner meals and freezing them has worked best for our situation. Not only does it keep weight and space to a minimum, but it makes life a lot easier when you return to camp late and tired. In warmer weather you will need to fugure out a way to keep stuff cold, but in the mountains the nights are cool (at least) and the streams often provide cooling if needed.

We have cooked and frozen:
Beef tips or small steaks
Lasagna
Brats
Hamburgers
Chicken or turkey - breasts or tenders
Pork chops or steaks

Keep your meals boneless to reduce waste and add in some gravies or sauces for moisture and flavor. We also buy mashed potatoes in a bag and freeze them, and frozen vegetables in bags – some with butter or cheese sauces. Uncle Bens “Ready Rice” is another nice option. It is precooked rice in a bag and comes in several varieties. We vacuum seal everything that is not already in a boiling bag.

We also don't have to pack in much for cooking equipment, just the stove, large pot and lid and a few forks. And we too use paper plates and bowls so we don't have any dishes to clean.

Waste is just the plastic bags and cleanup is done with a paper towel.

Breakfasts are usually dried oatmeal in packets and cereal bars, and lunches are meat sandwiches and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, with a few candy bars or energy bars for good measure.

Throw in a few treats here and there and the hunters are pretty happy.

Of course, if someone would get an elk early and be able to stay around camp and become the “camp cook” – that would really be nice ! ! !

……….And now I have some new menu ideas from you guys.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
So, what's on your camp menu?COMeatHunter1810/26/2014 09:12 am
Drop Camp Menuwild4aces409/20/2008 11:39 am
Archery Drop Camp Outfitter Recommendations?bigfishhunter402/12/2012 08:06 am
Colorado or Bust - 2012 Elk Tripjim boyd1112/27/2010 19:12 pm
Base Camp Catering???jbrodgers111/21/2014 15:22 pm