7 replies [Last post]
Drop Camp Alaska in 2010 ??? Suggestions

I've looked at this from a bunch of angles but would like to hear a suggestion or two on a drop camp hunt in Alaska. Is that even an option? If you've been there , done that, pray tell.

Ok I'm listening Think

moose drop hunt

i hunted for 10 days out of kotzebue with mavrik air into the lower arctic circle, had a very succesful trip, 68" bull, 3 nice caribou and 18-1/2" skull black bear, great adventure
chad

derek1's picture

How expensive would a 10 day hunt like this be?

A drop hunt gets cheaper the more work you are willing to put into it; however, there is no gurantee of the quality of hunt, if you are cost sensative and want to provide your own provisions, you can get in and out for the "drop and pick up" fees usually between $800-$1500 per person. Keep in mind shipping gear not only too and from AK is very expensive but it adds a lot of weight and in some occasions a extra "charter". I would highly recommend the lower acrtic circle, your far enough out to gurantee seeing a good amount of animals. If you want a top shelf moose camp and quality guide, R&R Guides service, Rob Jones handles moose and sheep and Rod Schue handles bear and sheep. They are worth the cost. You can google air taxi and bush pilots in the vacinity of where you want to hunt....as with anything, there are good ones and bad ones.
chad

derek1's picture

Thank you for the information, I am looking to do a moose hunt in the next two years. I do want a quality hunt. I usually do not use outfitters, I like the do it yourself philosophy. But, I have run into problems in the past doing things this way. I have spent some years basically scouting and trying to find game and I was maulled by a grizzly sow in 2007. Did you have any issues with bears while on your moose hunt? Would this even be an issue? Thanks again for the information.

total bummer, yes we had a small bear issue, 18-1/2" skull black bear that we killed on our tent, it was hard to provide the security when you had as much dead animals around camp, the idea of coralling your camp in side a hot wire is a good idea and is not that much extra material to carry....let me know if i can be of any help, i have been all over alaska...kodiak is a great place if you can get a tag

Re: Drop Camp Alaska in 2010 ??? Suggestions

read your posts chad. i drew moose this september and brown bear next spring on kodiak. would like to talk with you some time soon. have a brother that lives in fairbanks that drew same moose tag. so i dont need guide. but have never hunted moose before. sounds like it is a trophy hunt and would like to make the most of it. any help would be appreciated.

Re: Drop Camp Alaska in 2010 ??? Suggestions

Have you considered a self guided float hunt...

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Booking a Caribou HuntTime to hunt405/25/2008 00:45 am
Colorado diy huntSNOWMAN0813401/24/2007 07:47 am
Colorado bound!mtcop71401/20/2006 19:59 pm
Elk Hunting ColoardoPappy010/29/2008 08:40 am
Idaho ElkROUTINE11406/18/2004 13:33 pm