13 replies [Last post]
Doe hunting in Idaho units 33,34,35

just a heads up,doe hunting in units 33,34,35,in Idaho for juniors,and all is now closed they say because of high mortality rate in fawns in 2005/2006 .this just happens to be were i ran across the WOLFS in my neck of the woods.it is not in the reg.book,but it is on the web site for Idaho fish and game angry

Has the DFG given any explination about possible causes for the high mortality rate. I suppose it could very likely be a result of the heavy winter snowfall of last year. Or do you believe that Wolf predation could really be a significant factor? From reading around on the web I gather that there is a major buzz around Grey Wolf management In Idaho right now. I'm just curious to hear from someone that is in the field regularly. Do you see many Wolves, or Wolf sign? I also read that there are dense populations of Black Bear and Cougar in the state as well. I'd think that the triple threat could have a major impact on game populations.

from what i was told,second hand it's because of the wolves,i don't know that for sure,but i do suspect it. we did have a lot of snow last year but not so much as in years past.
as far as i am concerned,it is not the snow,and were we live it is not the bears,there is just not that many.it may have some to do with it but i doubt it does.
as for the wolves,well i'll let some one els make that call,i personally think it is .while out hunting a year ago the wife and i ran into five wolves when we were hunting Elk with our bows,it is not a fun thing to do as it scared the wife so much that we have not been back up to that spot.
we ran into fore others on a diferent outing in a diferent place but it was across a small valey.needless to say that i don't like them as i have seen what they do to the game up hear.my opinion kill them all let god sort them out.
(MY OPINION)
iI have no use for them at all!!

It sounds like an interesting delimma to me, because as I understand it Grey Wolves are not native to Idaho in the first place. However, I do feel that species should be protected from extinction if possible. I just know that european settlers that traveled across North America wiped out Wolves and Grizzleys with a vengence and I do find it unjust to overhunt any species like that. For example the california state flag dawns a Grizzley Bear yet there are none in the state anymore. But just as interesting I grew up in the Antelope Valley and my highschool's teams were the lopes. But I've never laid eyes on a Pronghorn. I think that the Wolves in Idaho probably need to be delisted and a preditor control plan implemented. They should strive to maintain a stable population but not much more than that because like I said, they are not native to Idaho in the first place. But it's a slippery slope because for some reason it seems that when men start killing Wolves they just can't stop untill they're all gone.

I saw 2 Grey Wolves in the deadwood area last weekend. They fallowed me for about 3 miles. Staying about 300 to 400 yards away from me. Wish I had my 22-250. Evil!

i don't go to the woods or on any rides without my 223 any more Thumbs up not that i would shoot one or anything Evil!

I live up north. Potlatch. . Last year I had a small pack follow me around my small trap line. Got some pictures of them and their tracks right next to some of my sets. I don't know how much they have effected our deer and elk population yet.

is doe closed for bow as well?

according to the regs.all doe hunts in units 33,34,and 35 are closed sad

i'm sorry the res. online,not the paper regs.they were printed befor this was know Oops!

I just found it. That sucks...

"The second highest cause of death was coyote predation."
I think it should say Wolves...

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/releases/view.cfm?NewsID=3410

Related Forum Threads You Might Like