6 replies [Last post]
DIY Elk, Montana 319/341 anyone hunt these units?

Thinking of doing a DIY hunt in the above, like the looks of things terrain and elk numbers wise.  After looking at google earth, I do have some concerns with roads being everywhere especially in 341, anyone have any experince in either of these regions?

nick 22's picture
I hunted close to that zone

I hunted close to that zone in 2012 not much pressure to speak of.Eventually on day 6 I was able to kill a 290 class 6 by 6 and my hunting partner killed a 5 by 5. Get in shape and good luck.

Nick22 - were you hunting

Nick22 - were you hunting rifle or archery in MT?

I drove thru the area last

I drove thru the area last summer and seen quite a few elk down low due too dry weather. Mainly between Mt. Haggin and Wise River. I don't know about pressure or access roads in the area. I will be up hunting north of you in units 212/213 and I bought a fs map and it shows which roads have seasonal closures. So some of the roads may get shutdown by Oct 15. Montana seems to gate roads during hunting season to minimize vehicle traffic. I just hope people obey the laws.

nick 22's picture
Rifle season I am planning on

Rifle season I am planning on the same area with a bow this fall.

montana

nick 22 wrote:

Rifle season I am planning on the same area with a bow this fall.

Thanks Nick - Good luck this fall. A 290 bull is better than most will ever get. 

I have a fs map of the region in 319/341 and the lower country has lots of open roads. The pintler is all roadless and high. Outside of the wilderness it looks like a hunter would have a tough time getting a mile between roads.

nick 22's picture
There are a lot of roads low

There are a lot of roads low just have to find where the elk are comfortable. Like you said not many roads in the pintler area. And I was very happy with that bull especially since it was only my second elk hunt.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like