16 replies [Last post]
CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Diversity is Overrated

Many tout diversity, but I say it is the cause for much of this country's turmoil.

To understand my point, consider a football team. The team is comprised of diverse players. Some are large and relatively slow, while others are smaller, but faster. Some are in between. They are diverse in their size and skills.

But the reason diversity works in this case is because they accept their roles and follow a leader to achieve a COMMON goal - defeat the other team and win the game.

We, in the US are diverse, but the problem is we do not share a common goal nor do we follow a leader. We are splintered so diversity works against, not for us.

We need to find that common goal and that leader that can unite us or we are destined to fail as a country.

Offline
Location: Puyallup, WA / Grand Rapids, MI
Joined: 10/24/2007
Posts: 96
Diversity is Overrated

I remember a lesson in the third grade about diversity. The teacher was telling us all about how diversity will make a group stronger because everyone will combine all their different strengths to everyone's mutual benefit.
Then, we had to write a paper about diversity.
I argued against it on the grounds that if you're diverse you have to waste time talking about diversity and figuring out how to cooperate with people. But, apparently I was wrong, because I failed.

SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1776
Diversity is Overrated
GBoyd wrote:
I remember a lesson in the third grade about diversity. The teacher was telling us all about how diversity will make a group stronger because everyone will combine all their different strengths to everyone's mutual benefit.
Then, we had to write a paper about diversity.
I argued against it on the grounds that if you're diverse you have to waste time talking about diversity and figuring out how to cooperate with people. But, apparently I was wrong, because I failed.

Confused

Offline
Location: central, IL
Joined: 11/19/2006
Posts: 82
Re: Diversity is Overrated
CVC wrote:
........We, in the US are diverse, but the problem is we do not share a common goal nor do we follow a leader. We are splintered so diversity works against, not for us.......

agreed

let me know if you figure out how to fix it

SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1776
Re: Diversity is Overrated
CVC wrote:
Many tout diversity, but I say it is the cause for much of this country's turmoil.

To understand my point, consider a football team. The team is comprised of diverse players. Some are large and relatively slow, while others are smaller, but faster. Some are in between. They are diverse in their size and skills.

But the reason diversity works in this case is because they accept their roles and follow a leader to achieve a COMMON goal - defeat the other team and win the game.

We, in the US are diverse, but the problem is we do not share a common goal nor do we follow a leader. We are splintered so diversity works against, not for us.

We need to find that common goal and that leader that can unite us or we are destined to fail as a country.

Gee, I don't know where to begin with this one. It kind of reminds me of harkening back to the good old days in a nostalgic fashion. "It was better back in them days when everyone was the same,". Unfortunately even if it was better (which I don't necessarily think it was) the one constant is that every thing is in a constant state of flux, things change and you adapt and overcome or fall by the wayside.

We are diverse, a diverse Country, due to all the different backgrounds of people who have been born here or have come here. Diverse backgrounds, but that doesn't mean we can't have common ground, common goals, common standards, such as honesty, hard work, fairness, equality, justice, decency, compassion, strength. Those qualities aren't exclusive to one country, race, political party, or nationality.

Recently we have had leadership which wasn't conducive to unifying people and making them secure in following their leadership. Hopefully that will now change or not. Either way like the theme in that Movie, No Country For Old Men, you can't stop what's coming. Think

cowgal's picture
Offline
Moderator
Location: Colorado
Joined: 03/10/2002
Posts: 1787
Diversity is Overrated

I think the diversity that is splitting this country is not based on race or ethnic backgrounds, but in diverse opinions on how our citizens should be governed.

Its back to the left vs right argument. I believe Obama is proposing to pull this country further to the left than many are comfortable with.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Re: Diversity is Overrated
SoCoKHntr wrote:
[
We need to find that common goal and that leader that can unite us or we are destined to fail as a country.

Gee, I don't know where to begin with this one. It kind of reminds me of harkening back to the good old days in a nostalgic fashion. "It was better back in them days when everyone was the same,". Unfortunately even if it was better (which I don't necessarily think it was) the one constant is that every thing is in a constant state of flux, things change and you adapt and overcome or fall by the wayside.

We are diverse, a diverse Country, due to all the different backgrounds of people who have been born here or have come here. Diverse backgrounds, but that doesn't mean we can't have common ground, common goals, common standards, such as honesty, hard work, fairness, equality, justice, decency, compassion, strength. Those qualities aren't exclusive to one country, race, political party, or nationality.

Recently we have had leadership which wasn't conducive to unifying people and making them secure in following their leadership. Hopefully that will now change or not. Either way like the theme in that Movie, No Country For Old Men, you can't stop what's coming. Think

You seem to have difficulty comprehending what I write. Where did I suggest that the old days were better because we weren't diverse back then?

That sir is an assertion not sustained by fact - the fact of what I said or the facts of the past. We were just as diverse in 1920, or 1950 as today. We had all types of ethnic groups in this country, many of whom did not speak English.

Finally, I left the last line of my post in the quote for you to read again. Isn't that essentially what you say in the 2nd to last paragraph of your post? Why do you feel the need to attack attack attack? Why not take what I say at face value, disagree with it if I am wrong or misstating the facts, but if you agree why not build upon it? In either case do it in a constructive manner.

Do not think that as a country we should strive to come together and unite in a common goal, under a leader we respect? What is wrong with that idea?

Do you believe that we are united now and not splintered as I suggest?

It was not a left-right post, but an American post.

SoCoKHntr's picture
Offline
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Joined: 12/18/2006
Posts: 1776
Diversity is Overrated
cowgal wrote:
I think the diversity that is splitting this country is not based on race or ethnic backgrounds, but in diverse opinions on how our citizens should be governed.

Its back to the left vs right argument. I believe Obama is proposing to pull this country further to the left than many are comfortable with.

Cowgal, wouldn't you agree your team had the ball for eight years with the President, six of those years, controlling both houses of Congress. Had they done a job where most Americans felt good about their leadership you wouldn't be in this position now. Why or what happened that they couldn't build on or hold that lead?

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Diversity is Overrated

You are absolutely right about why the right is in the position it is currently in. Bush did not lead this country. He responded to a terrorist attack in an appropriate manner, but then he detoured into Iraq where he got us mired down in a civil war with changing objectives.

Add to this Larry Craig, Mark Foley and others along with a sagging economy and increasing debt and you have the mess that allowed democrat control of Congress and the White House.

The big question is how do we (the right) respond. First, we need to allow BO a chance to suceed, but that does not mean a free pass. He is our president and we are all better off if he does succeed. Unfortunately, it does look like he will break or delay many of the promises he made. Only time will tell.

We then need to clean up our act. If we preach high morals, then walk the walk.

We need to believe and act in charity begins at home. If we can spend billions of dollars on a war to bring democracy to a people that hate us, then why can't we spend that amount first on ensuring that all Americans have access to affordable health care?

We, as Americans, are only as strong as our weakest members. We need to look out for Americans first and then the rest of world later, but only if they are our true allies.

Offline
Location: California
Joined: 09/06/2008
Posts: 1071
Diversity is Overrated

Wow! This is a tough subject for me. As most of you know I lean to the right in most of my politics. I have a dear friend who is a left over flower child from the 60's and we are as diverse as two people can possily be, yet are the best of friends. I think America thrives on diversity and is one of the things that has made this country great. The fact that we can disagree and no one gets imprisoned or shot is something we take for granted but in other places in the world it's no joke. I think we've allways been diverse as a nation. The problem as I see it isn't that we differ but that the respect for the right to think and be different is deteriorating as a whole. Instead of respecting someons right to go their own way we somehow feel the need to legislate their behavior to conform with what someone else wants. What we need is to gain that respect back as a nation. Maybe I'm wrong on this one. CVC makes a good point as well.

CVC
CVC's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Kansas
Joined: 03/04/2006
Posts: 3586
Diversity is Overrated

No, you're not wrong. Respecting diversity is a key component of this. But that respect has to go both ways and unfortunatley it doesn't.

Look at how the left calls us racist because we differ with them over B O.

Where is the respect for our differing point of view?

Related Forum Threads You Might Like