9 replies [Last post]
Deer hunting 2004

Been a good year so far deer hunting.Got a 206 pound field dressed 10 point buck with my bow here in Maine.Got a 6 point buck with bow in Conn.Also got a nice 153 pound field dressed out doe with my rifle here in Maine.

Deer hunting 2004

Party on!! our firearms season starts this Sat. I think I am going to try the calls this year just to see what works

Deer hunting 2004

Got any pics?

Deer hunting 2004

I wish i could have that kind of luck, here in NB the deer are few and far between. In threee years of hunting VERY hard I have seen a total of 3....yup 3!!!!!! does while hunting. The other day I walked for a total of 4 hours and I saw 1 set of very old tracks. I also saw 3 moose, I have been told that moose and deer aren't likely to hang out in the same spots?.......Is that true

Deer hunting 2004
BigTyler wrote:
I wish i could have that kind of luck, here in NB the deer are few and far between. In threee years of hunting VERY hard I have seen a total of 3....yup 3!!!!!! does while hunting. The other day I walked for a total of 4 hours and I saw 1 set of very old tracks. I also saw 3 moose, I have been told that moose and deer aren't likely to hang out in the same spots?.......Is that true

There is a TON of corn left standing in good ole ND. Been seeing quite a few deer in the stand though, only drew a doe tag, so have been bow hunting all year. Shot a doe last month, and plan on shooting one next week probably, have been tagging them with the extra season tags ( doe only ) , saving the bow tag for the BIG ONE. I have also heard that if there is a moose in the area, deer will most likely not be around, not sure why that is, but I have heard the same thing. Don't have very many moose around our area anymore, so I can't back that theory up....

p.s. why aren't you seeing any deer in your area???

Deer hunting 2004

I shot a button-buck this morning because it looked very much like a doe, there's really no way to tell at this particular deer's stage without close inspection. It dressed out at around 120 lbs. Might also have been the first deer shot in Ozark County during the 2004 firearms deer season.

Deer hunting 2004
BigTyler wrote:

Not True! I won't claim to know a lot about deer or moose, but here in VT, I seethem in the same places pretty regularly.

I'm suprised to hear you say that deer are so few and far between in NS. It looked like good deer country to me. Of course, not like what I saw down in WV and PA last week. It makes me wonder why I bother hunting up here. Like you, I have only seen three deer (in season) in the last two years. They are out there though.... someplace.

Deer hunting 2004

The reason IMO that there are so few deer in my area of New Brunswick is because of those damn coyotes, last night i watched 4 of them across the road from my place. They appeared to be dragging something so i wondered down there this morning and there was deer hair and a deer leg laying there in the snow. I have talked to the game wordens and they seem to think that all they have to do to bring up the deer numbers is give out less Doe tags. When i mentioned the coyotes they said that a coyote won't kill a deer......well no 1 may not be able to kill a deer but 6 or 8 sure as hell can!!!!!!!!! It really bothers me how little they care about the deer herd. About the moose deal I think that the coyotes are just leaving the moose alone because they figure that deer and moose are much easier prey. I have shot at a total of 8 coyotes this year.....i got 4 of them but man they are some hard to hit while on the run!

Deer hunting 2004

coyotes will eat fawns in a heart beat and chase down sick and wounded deer

Deer hunting 2004

It's hard to believe some of you have only seen a few does in the last couple of seasons. I've hunted in Michigan and Texas this year. Seen more does than I can shake a stick at in both states. I shot two 6-pointers already this year and still have a month or so left in the Texas season. Saw a really nice buck--probably 8-10 points with a very wide spread, but was on the other side of a property line fence. He wouldn't jump the fence no matter how much I prayed.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like