18 replies [Last post]
elkslayer's picture
Offline
Location: Idaho
Joined: 04/27/2011
Posts: 23
deer harvest limits

just curious how many deer you can kill each year in your state.  around here we can only kill one unless you draw an extra tag or buy an out of state tag. 

Offline
Location: Edgewood NM
Joined: 06/12/2010
Posts: 27
harvest limits

Here in NM where we hunt the limit is 1 buck if you are lucky enough to be drawn.

In TX where we hunt you can harvest 2 Mule deer (1 buck 1 doe) and 5 Whitetail (no more than 3 buck)

WishIWasHunting's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Brighton, CO
Joined: 01/31/2011
Posts: 676
In Colorado...

Basically, in Colorado, it is one deer per license and possible to get 1-3+ licenses depending on the licenses you draw/purchase.  We have List A, List B, and List C licenses.  You can only get one List A license per year.  Almost all buck tags are List A, as well as doe tags in some areas.  You can have one List A license and one List B license, or two List B licenses.  List B licenses are typically doe tags in high deer population areas, and might be limited to private-land only.  You can technically have any number of List C licenses in addition to your List A & B licenses, but List C licenses are harder to come by.  List C licenses are auction or raffle licenses, game damage or population management hunts, and other special situation hunts. 

It sounds more complicated than it really is.  The CO Regulations book makes it pretty easy to understand.  

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Location: San Diego, CA
Joined: 07/27/2007
Posts: 5774
2 in California, and 3 in

2 in California, and 3 in Vermont.......

BikerRN's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Joined: 05/23/2011
Posts: 714
ONE

 One deer per year in AZ. :-( 

cowboy38231's picture
Offline
Location: West TN
Joined: 11/27/2011
Posts: 116
In TN

We can take 3 bucks. But can take 3 does a day for the entire season. So without putting a calculator to it, I guess we can legally take over 200. It's ridiculous how many deer we are allowed.

Tndeerhunter's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Tennessee
Joined: 04/13/2009
Posts: 1110
lots of deer

cowboy38231 wrote:

We can take 3 bucks. But can take 3 does a day for the entire season. So without putting a calculator to it, I guess we can legally take over 200. It's ridiculous how many deer we are allowed.

 

By my calculations, this past season in the "L" area of Tennessee, we could legally have harvested exactly 300 deer; season started on 24 September and ended on 1 January, which comes to exactly 100 days long X 3/day. It makes me very tired to just think about dragging that many deer. lol

cowboy38231's picture
Offline
Location: West TN
Joined: 11/27/2011
Posts: 116
I wish

I am in unit L also, in Henry Co. I wish they would limit us to one buck like Ky does. Or at least make it where after you kill one buck, you have to tag in a doe to get another buck tag. Way too many people still taking small bucks and not letting them get big and never even thinking about shooting a doe. In the last 6 years I have only taken 4 bucks and a few does. And 2 of those bucks were this year and one last year. And maybe take 2 or 3 does a year. I can't understand the 3 does a day thing all season. I know a few people that take 10 plus does to fill the freezer for the year, but most of the deer I see tagged are still small basket bucks.

Tndeerhunter's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Location: Tennessee
Joined: 04/13/2009
Posts: 1110
Like it

cowboy38231 wrote:

I am in unit L also, in Henry Co. I wish they would limit us to one buck like Ky does. Or at least make it where after you kill one buck, you have to tag in a doe to get another buck tag. Way too many people still taking small bucks and not letting them get big and never even thinking about shooting a doe. In the last 6 years I have only taken 4 bucks and a few does. And 2 of those bucks were this year and one last year. And maybe take 2 or 3 does a year. I can't understand the 3 does a day thing all season. I know a few people that take 10 plus does to fill the freezer for the year, but most of the deer I see tagged are still small basket bucks.

 

To be honest, I do not have a problem with the 3 bucks rule. I don't think I've taken three but one time, but like being able to hunt bucks after taking my first buck. I also hunt Kentucky and normally take a buck there too, so I have little need, normally, for more than three deer. I am very happy with the "potential" found in our area, as Montgomery county normally leads the state in deer with over 9 points and sometimes with deer with 7-8 points as well. I lost my best piece of ground to hunt close to home three years ago, but we still had a decent season. I took two bucks in Tn and my sons-in-law took one each, but they were good ones, one a 140 and the other a 150. With the fellas I hunt with, we've taken one 140, two 150s and one 175 since 2008. That's  six of us. This year's best three:

PreviewAttachmentSize
1228110720.jpg
1228110720.jpg449.77 KB
IMG_2372.jpg
IMG_2372.jpg386.08 KB
IMG_2359.jpg
IMG_2359.jpg679.46 KB
COMeatHunter's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Joined: 06/01/2011
Posts: 621
Wow!  Three does per day for

Wow!  Three does per day for the entire season in TN!  That's pretty incredible....

We like to do a father son youth hunt in Nebraska at the end of each year for whitetail does.  I think you can buy as many licenses as you wish until the cap limit is reached.  Each license is good for 2 does.  Not sure I'd want to purchase more than one license each anyway.  At some point there just isn't enough room in the freezer.

Ca_Vermonster's picture
Offline
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!Moderator
Location: San Diego, CA
Joined: 07/27/2007
Posts: 5774
Nebraska

COMeatHunter wrote:

Wow!  Three does per day for the entire season in TN!  That's pretty incredible....

We like to do a father son youth hunt in Nebraska at the end of each year for whitetail does.  I think you can buy as many licenses as you wish until the cap limit is reached.  Each license is good for 2 does.  Not sure I'd want to purchase more than one license each anyway.  At some point there just isn't enough room in the freezer.

 

I have thought about going to Nebraska for that doe season.  One week, and unlimited tags as long as you keep paying for them.  I have relatives in Omaha, and through a local hunting forum there I have an outstanding offer to take does from someone's farm there.  I saw one guy who shot 9-10 does during the week, to stock up his freezer and his friends for the winter.

Just gotta get planning..... Wink

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Final stats are in nowTndeerhunter602/01/2011 18:09 pm
New Ohio Deer Regs?Retired2hunt807/17/2013 21:37 pm
Possible Deer Limits in SCjim boyd301/03/2011 08:51 am
Tennessee's deer harvest so farTndeerhunter112/13/2010 11:19 am
Mule Deer Photocowgal907/20/2005 17:06 pm