7 replies [Last post]
Debate: Remington 870 express vs. Mossberg 500

Let the games begin!

How do these two compare? Which has the most aftermarket parts? Easiest to take apart? Lasts longer? Takes the most pain?

Both are good, rugged shotguns. I have owned and shot both. My personal preference is for the 870 because it fits me so well and I can field strip it blindfolded if need be.( Not that it needs to be field stripped in the field very often --- usually when I stumble and drop it in the marsh.) Price and fit should be deciding factor if one is considering purchase.

Here is another vote for the 870. The gun is a breeze to take apart for cleaning and ultra reliable. I think the 870 is real hard to beat and the express model is a real deal... all the same mechanics as the more expensive 870 but without the glamour. Thumbs up

I own a Remington 870 express super magnum. I think the 870 is one of the more versatile moderatley priced shotguns on the market. I hunt everything from ducks and geese to turkeys with mine.

WesternHunter's picture

e4c4ever,
The last two questions really aren't relavent. There are just too many variables involved to answer those last two question with any certainty or accuracy.

Pump shotguns generally are very reliable as a rule.

WesternHunter wrote:
e4c4ever,
The last two questions really aren't relavent. There are just too many variables involved to answer those last two question with any certainty or accuracy.

Pump shotguns generally are very reliable as a rule.

Lasts longer? Takes the most pain?

Why not?

WesternHunter's picture

Well for longevity the variables involved are such as care, maintenance, and use given to a specific individual 870 or 500. Types of loads most fired through the gun and the frequency of those loads fired. The type of exposure each gun sees in the field and after returning from the field. Saltwater environment, or freshwater environment plays another big role. Dry climate or humid climate. Types of abrasives that get blown in the air and settle into the guns nether regions such as found in sandy or dusty environments. Even if any worn parts get replaced promptly. Different shooters treat their guns differently and use them differently, so longevity of any particular firearm is relative.

I think it's safe to say that both shotguns will stand up very well to hard use in the field under the types of extreams normally exposed to in the sport of hunting and just shooting in general. Even in the types of hard use a firearm normally sees on a battlefield. The Remington 870 has proven itself to be a reliable workhorse since it was introduced in 1949. The fact that it's still made and sold in huge numbers says a lot about it's track record. It says to me that people still want it, and want it for good reason.

With normal use and care any of these shotguns should still be functioning longer than you will be. Most guns if properly cared for will out live their owners and their owners kids. No gun will be nor should be forgiving of any flat out abuse or neglegence.

WesternHunter wrote:
Well for longevity the variables involved are such as care, maintenance, and use given to a specific individual 870 or 500. Types of loads most fired through the gun and the frequency of those loads fired. The type of exposure each gun sees in the field and after returning from the field. Saltwater environment, or freshwater environment plays another big role. Dry climate or humid climate. Types of abrasives that get blown in the air and settle into the guns nether regions such as found in sandy or dusty environments. Even if any worn parts get replaced promptly. Different shooters treat their guns differently and use them differently, so longevity of any particular firearm is relative.

I think it's safe to say that both shotguns will stand up very well to hard use in the field under the types of extreams normally exposed to in the sport of hunting and just shooting in general. Even in the types of hard use a firearm normally sees on a battlefield. The Remington 870 has proven itself to be a reliable workhorse since it was introduced in 1949. The fact that it's still made and sold in huge numbers says a lot about it's track record. It says to me that people still want it, and want it for good reason.

With normal use and care any of these shotguns should still be functioning longer than you will be. Most guns if properly cared for will out live their owners and their owners kids. No gun will be nor should be forgiving of any flat out abuse or neglegence.

I get what your saying. You have a point! Thumbs up

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Which gun to choose?jman474707/24/2010 07:37 am
Mossberg 930 barrel combo for kid ? Recoil ?candleman105/06/2013 20:19 pm
SHOTGUN Questionbigdog9688408/22/2007 16:29 pm
I shot my Remington 870 Express for the first time...e4c4ever807/15/2007 22:18 pm
Mossberg 190 19 guageNight Raider603/03/2007 09:23 am