8 replies [Last post]
Deakins Ranch, CO gmu 301

Anyone hunted GMU 301? I applied for very late season cow elk and doe... first week of 2010 (Jan1-6) on Deakins Ranch... never been so much out west... actually never hunted elk before.
Any input on that area in case I get drawn? any other OTC areas for a decent chance at cow elk or does? any recommendations?
Thanks a ton

GooseHunter Jr's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!

I have never hunted there myself but I used to wrok witha a guy taht hunted up there in the December season and they always did real well and they were after cows. They were also on private land. From what I have been told3,301 can be good areas oncw we get some snow up high and it pushed the elk into the lower elevation of the ranches up there.

Do you know were in unit 301 they hunted?
This would be my first elk hunt and I applied for the RFW program. hopefully I draw a license.

HeavyC's picture

Sponxx,

Did you by chance already have some preference points built up? Not sure about that ranch for cow lateseason, but I would be amazed if there were no point required to draw a hunt there?

Let me look at those stats out at the DOW andsee what I could figure out.

HeavyC's picture

I stand corrected! None required for that hunt! AND looks like 100% success rate as 50 tags are avail and only 45 drew for them last year! I was all trying to help a first timer and I have a sneaky suspicion that somehow you knew this info all along!

Best of luck! Should be a good hunt at that time of year in that area Thumbs up

GMU 301 tags

HeavyC... Thanks for looking it up!!
I had no idea about the availability of tags... I knew no points were required for cow tags there, but my choice was due to the only available dates I had to go out hunting - the New Year week January 1-6.... sucks, right?
I am excited, hopefully I draw tags for the unit and season, I did read that the success rates of that particular ranch (RFW at Deakins) are not very high, although the unit itself seems productive.
Where can I look the number of tags available? it might be a useful resource for years to come., hehehe...
any tips on late season cow in that area?

HeavyC's picture

cool

Here is the link to the main page for big game statistics.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/

thankx HeavyC
seems like I might actually get that chance to draw a license... hopefully the animals will be there. I've heard it might be either great or no elk at all.
What is the terrain like?

GooseHunter Jr's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Sponxx wrote:
Do you know were in unit 301 they hunted?
This would be my first elk hunt and I applied for the RFW program. hopefully I draw a license.

He hunted near Three Forks Ranch. They were very dependent on the snow pushing them down to the low grounds.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
RFW Antelope in COhunt4duck305/21/2009 03:21 am
RFW Antelope in COhunt4duck303/21/2009 09:50 am
Ranching For Wildlifetkirsch803/11/2010 12:22 pm
New Mexico Antelope Ranch AssignmentsIowan107/09/2010 10:51 am
Lead Guide needed immediate openingKimmy_tripleS311/12/2009 12:40 pm