7 replies [Last post]
CZ 416 Rigby Question?

What would be your scope recomendation? Type of scope and brand.

Would you put on a muzzle brake? If so which one?

I purchased this gun today and I cannot pick it up for a while, so I have a little time to decide what I'm going to do to it.

It will be going to Alaska with me this year and hopfully South Africa in the near future.

Thanks and any advice on this gun is very much appreciated!

Bryan

CZ 416 Rigby Question?

If it were my gun, I would put a low power Leupold, either a 1 to 4 or a.75 to 5 VX3., with heavy crosshairs or a post & crosshair. I would also put on a muzzle break. I have been installing Mag-Na-Ports Mag-Na-Break on my rifles and am very pleased with them.

Re: CZ 416 Rigby Question?
LUCKYDOG wrote:
What would be your scope recomendation? Type of scope and brand.................It will be going to Alaska with me this year and hopfully South Africa in the near future.

LD,

Welcome to the big bore club. I dearly love flinging large chunks of lead.

Ditto on the Leupold. If it is going to be the only rifle you take on the trip I would go for the 1.75X6. I run a 3X9 VXII on my .375 with no problems on recoil or eye relief. If it is your DGR and you are taking a lighter rifle for plains game then I would go with the 1X4.

There is no other way to say it than muzzle brakes are LOUD. Check one out before you commit to putting one on your rifle. I believe you can get the recoil down to where it is OK for you by using a pad like a Pachmyer "Decelerator" or with a mercury recoil reducer.

CZ 416 Rigby Question?

These are just a few thoughts from friends of mine from Africa when I was looking at bigger rifles. First, muzzle breaks are LOUD as mentioned before and professional hunters do not like to see them show up because they like to be able to hear "sideline animals" which are often more of a problem than the one you just shot and ringing ears make this hard to do. Additionally, with a good recoil pad you do not need these things. Remember, even though it is a 416, it is also a ten pound plus rifle and the shear weight of the thing combined with good shooting skill make it a manageable rifle (and remember, sight it in and then stay away from the bench rest where the recoil is felt most). As far as a scope, some say the 416 is "un-scopable" but that stems from the days of poor eye relief. With the eye relief of a new Leupold I wouldn't be overly concerned, but I wouldn't get anything with less eye relief than the Leupold for certain (I have a Leupold straight 4x for my 375 that is excellent). The CZ / Brno certainly does have a good reputation over there and it is what I was encouraged to buy as well. Good luck with everything.

CZ 416 Rigby Question?

I switched gears and went with the CZ 375 H&H, instead of the 416 Rigby. I thought I'd learn to crawl before I started running. Any input on this gun would be appreciated.

Thanks Bryan

CZ 416 Rigby Question?

Great gun and with the then pound weight it is actually very nice to shoot form the standing position. The 375 was also recommended to me as well and with the trajectory of a 30.06 it does make a great backup rilfe for anything in North America. I also had a survey of African Professional Hunters that indicated the the 375 was the cailber they preferred to see clients show up with. People will argue for heavier cailbers but I believe that somewhere around 90 percent of the PH's in this survey preffered the 375 for clients. I'd have to dig it out of my archives but the number is in the ball park.

CZ 416 Rigby Question?

the cz's are great rifles for the price.
the 375 has a bit more versatility to it.

either rifle if going to scope them, i would go with a leupold VXIII 1.75-6
i have just picked up a 416rigby, cz550, this is the scope i will be using.
i have the same scope on my 338wm, very versatile imo

CZ 416 Rigby Question?

Here we go, I dug this out of my archives and copied and pasted the section on caliber selection. Guess I didn't remember the numbers as well as I thought. I included the plains game selections as well. The 416 Rem. got a decent number of votes, but the 375 got 5 times as many. Maybe the folks at CZ will put the original Rigby back on the charts.

What do "most" PH’s want a hunter to bring for guns?
For Plains game: (Including Leopard)
Most important, is that a client bring a gun he is familiar with and can shoot the best.

1st choice is 300 Win Mag with 26 votes
2nd choice is 30-06 with 24 votes
3rd choice is 338 Mag with 18 votes
4th choice is 7 mm Rem Mag with 9 votes
5th choice is a 270 Winchester 7 votes
6th choice is 7 mm STW or any of the ULTRA Magnums

For "Dangerous" Game (Buffalo, Lion, Elephant, Rhino, or Hippo):
1st. Choice is 375 H&H with 54 votes
2nd Choice is 416 Rem with 11 votes
3rd Choice is mixed Double Rifles of 470 etC.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
Reloadingovny210/09/2008 19:47 pm
Casting for the .416 RigbyJarikeen611/20/2007 19:12 pm
Question about bigbores rifles.ovny908/31/2008 12:36 pm
WTB .416 Rigby brassKaramojo Bill004/17/2008 14:15 pm
Original Box of 416 Rigby for Salekillisnoo002/12/2010 15:08 pm