2 replies [Last post]
CWD ILLINOIS UPDATE FEBRUARY 2011 Locations of CWD-Positive Deer - Updated 2/07/2011
Thursday, February 10, 2011

CWD ILLINOIS UPDATE FEBRUARY 2011 Locations of CWD-Positive Deer - Updated 2/07/2011

jaybe's picture
Grand Slam Challenge Winner!
Wow! 326 positive cases of

Wow! 326 positive cases of Chronic Wasting Disease in Wisconsin! I would say they are definitely "infected". I don't know what their policies are concerning it, or what actions they are taking to try to control its spread, but I'm sure that neighboring states are interested.

I know that Michigan is probably going to lift the ban on baiting that has been in place for three years since discovering 1 case of CWD in the summer of 2008. No further cases have turned up since, and the talk among wildlife experts is that the practice may be reinstated for the 2011 season. Public meetings and letters from many in the public sector definitely favor the idea of lifting the ban on baiting, which is thought to encourage the spread of the disease.

Michigan's policy on CWD is that if it is found in any of its own counties or the county of another state within 10 miles of Michigan's border, steps will be taken to try to control the disease. Wisconsin borders Michigan, but apparently none of the Dairy State's infected areas are that close to Michigan.

Oletrapper's picture
CWD

WOW ! That's a lot and seems to be mostly in the northern part of the state. The sad thing is that those numbers are only documented cases. Who knows how many just wondered off and died undetected. Sure hope they can find a preventative and soon.