6 replies [Last post]
CVA Hunterbolt 209

I'm looking to get my first blackpowder gun, and I'm trying to keep it inexpensive. I'm looking at the Hunterbolt 209 in the Cabela's catalog @ $149.99. I think it would suit my needs (45 cal, inline, breech not exposed to the elements), but no local shops stock it. Every shop, and I mean every shop, only carries guns from $350 on up. The Omega seems to be the most popular.
My question is this - can anyone tell me if this gun is ok, or do I need to spend $350 to get a decent gun?
Thanks,

Jeff

CVA Hunterbolt 209

I've got that exact gun your looking to buy. I absolutely love it! I hunt in Ohio and the fist season I used it I took a nice doe at about 110 yards. Of course I have a scope on mine but as far as the price goes,you just cant beat it. Since my first hunt with it I refuse to take my shotgun out during the Ohio gun season. Even though I only get one shot with it I am very confident out to about 130 yards. While all of the other hunters are slinging lead all over the hills I just sit and wait for a good shot opportunity. If you do decide to buy this gun you wont be upset with your results.

cob
CVA Hunterbolt 209

I've got a knight (not sure of the model)Its got the big horn barrel. I haven't shot very many different black powder rifles but i'm very satisfied with mine. I bought it from Acadamy. If there's an acadamy near you go check them out there and keep an eye on the ads. I bought mine at 40% off. it was originally 300 bucks but the sale put it right in my range. Aparantly just about every spring they have a sale, 40% off all black powder guns and accesories. I think the sale was in late spring so if you can wait that long, you won't find them cheaper. Even if they don't have the gun you want, you can stock up on supplies.

CVA Hunterbolt 209

Hey catch22. I was wondering if you've decided on a muzzleloader yet. I just got a mid 140's class 10 pointer with my CVA. the only catch was that I only had to shoot him from 10 yards away. I could've shot him at about 120 yards but he just kept coming my way so I tried to be as patient as possible. I had to shoot before he ran me over...

CVA Hunterbolt 209

I own a Hunterbolt from Wal-mart. Open sights and shoot a 209 primer. I shoot 100 grains of pellet with 240 grain sabot. I started hunting with it last season,it was a gift. I also own a Knight disc wolverine and a Thompson Center sidelock.

The Hunterbolt is by far my personal favorite. It is highly accurate and very dependable...knock on wood no misfires to date.

I would highly recommend any use it. For the price you will be more than happy.

let me know if you get one.

Rod

CVA Hunterbolt 209

hey all i just picked up a hunterbolt mag in the 209 .
a freind of mine has one and he said out of the box it was pretty much on at 100 yards .
and he said i shoul have to mess with it .
i have like a week before the season opens and i dont want to be in the dark with this gun . so any info would be great

CVA Hunterbolt 209

Personally I don't feel that you need a $500 muzzleloader. I own an Encore, but I started out with a CVA staghorn (# 11 caps). Although I do love the Encore, I never had a misfire with the less expensive gun.

Related Forum Threads You Might Like

ThreadThread StarterRepliesLast Updated
shockwave super glidediamond hunter110/27/2006 16:15 pm
Got my 4th cheezy CVA - an Optima!jnorton1501/21/2004 10:05 am