12 replies [Last post]
Cut down my 308

Well, I finally did it.
I'm making my old 700 BDL in 308 into a short light rifle. Cut 2 1/2" off the front of the stock. Stripped off the epoxie finish and refinished it to a satin finish with varnish to seal the wood and Tru-oil rubbed out with 000 steel wool and and final buff with a cotton cloth.
The barrel is being cut to 20" and recrowned.
I hope to have the metal back in about 10 days. Put it back together. Resight the scope and use it for a Deer hunt this year.
I like these little projects and they don't break the bank. With the exception of my time. I'll be into this whole project for less than $100 and have one very light and handy little shooter for medium sized game.
Maybe a nice Black Bear and Hog too, if I see one that can be taken.

Don Fischer's picture
Cut down my 308

What length barrel will you have? My 660, son has it now, has a 20" and I readdy liked it. I re-finished the stock on my 6.5-06 last year. Got that junk off with finish stripper then rubbed ot out with 0000. Tried putting on Tru-Oil with 400 grit wet/dry paper for the first time. For a while I didn't think I was going to get the pores filled but in the end it worked great.

Where you going to get a hog?

Cut down my 308

The barrel will be 20". The whole rifle will be about 37", give or take. With a 4x Leupold mounted on top.
The barrel is in prime condition but the stock has a few gouges and showed a lot of wear.
After I stripped it. I raised the grain with water and sanded it down smooth. This removed most all of the little indentations. There is still one gouge that I'm going to leave in it. I'd have to remove more wood than I want. To make it disappear.
It took 4 applications of Jasco varnish and epoxy remover to get the finish off. 2 coats of spar varnish to seal the wood. A good sanding and I hand rubbed enough tru-oil in to make it look OK. I wanted to get it to this step so I could get it back to the gunsmith for the rest of the work and have it usable. I'm going to be pretty busy for the next week or so and want it ready for deer this year.
When I'm done using it. I'll hand rub 6 to 10 more coats of tru-oil in and finish it with 000 and a cotton cloth. Gives a nice smooth satin finish. It has a lot nicer feel than those epoxy finishes that Remington uses, and looks a whole bunch better.

There's hearsay that there are some hogs in an area that I want to try for a Blacktail. Don't know how true it is but the source is a good one. There are no regs on them.

Don Fischer's picture
Cut down my 308

Your gonna like that 4x scope but I bet you already knew that! Thumbs up

Cut down my 308

It's one of my favorites. This is the 3rd rifle I've had it on.
It was bought for a Savage 243 that I don't own anymore. Then I put it on Remington 243 that I don't have anymore. Now it been fitting very nicely on this 308. With the new look and feel. It may just end up being my favorite go to.

I've been shooting HotCores through it but, when I get it back, I'm going to work up some loads using the 165 Hornady Interbonds. It should be able to handle anything that I'll be after in the northwest.
By chopping 2" off the barrel. I beleve that I reduces the muzzle velocity by 25 fps per inch. At least, as best as I can calculate on paper. We'll see what it can do when I get it back together. I'm calculating around 2600 fps with 165's, Varget and the 20" barrel.
I've yet to use the Varget. I heard many good things about it. Especially in the shorter, standard size cases.
It's been 3 or 4 years since I've worked up any loads for my rifles. The last one was the 300 wsm. I ended up with H4831 and 180gr Accubonds. They didn't have the 180gr Interbonds in production, at that time or I may have gone with them. The 165's Interbonds flew very nicely out of the 300 wsm but, I wanted a heavier bullet for that round. I'll try the 165's in the 308.

Cut down my 308

I love Varget, especially in the 308 win. I use 45.1 gr. with a 168 gr. Barnes TSX bullet going at 2640 FPS out of a 24" barrel. It has excellent accuracy in my rifle. Thumbs up

Cut down my 308

Thanks ChesterGolf
That's encouraging news. I will probably get around 2550 with the 20 inch. Guessing, I'll get a MPBR of around 260 yds with the Interbonds. That suits me just fine.

Cut down my 308

My current project will be similar. It is a Savage that will get a 20" sporter barrel and shortened synthetic stock to match. Gonna chamber it in .300 Savage and top with a Docter 3-9X40 scope.

Cut down my 308

I've got a stubby (16 inch ) .338 federal that I absolutely love. The barrel jumps pretty substantially when shooting it off hand, but with a 20 inch barrel and a .308, you should be golden.

I bet it will make a great mountain rifle and brush gun (don't want to go into the various definitions of a brush gun, but you get the idea). I'd be interested to know what it weighs when you're all finished. I'm considering cutting down a 35 Whelen I have to loose some of its weight. Did the trim help that substaintially with regards to weight? I trimmed down a 416 reminton and it helped significantly, but that was a much thicker (grade 4 I believe) barrel. Thumbs up

Cut down my 308
maddenwh wrote:
I'd be interested to know what it weighs when you're all finished. I'm considering cutting down a 35 Whelen I have to loose some of its weight. Did the trim help that substaintially with regards to weight? I trimmed down a 416 reminton and it helped significantly, but that was a much thicker (grade 4 I believe) barrel. Thumbs up

There's a guy up here that trimmed his 35 Whelen by fluting the barrel. The fluting alone took a pound off the rifle.

I'm thinking it will be under 7 lbs, ready to hunt but it was pretty light to start with.

I enjoy these little projects.

Cut down my 308

My primary sniper rifle is a remmy 700 LTR with a 20 inch fluted barrel. Best shooting rifle I own. I have punched paper at to 1000 with it but it really shines from 0-600. Not sugesting you shoot game that far just showing what a 20 inch bore is capable of. Don't get caught up in velocity lose. Practice, know what your limits are and go hunting! Best of luck.